Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 24, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #25,921 of 150,788
Why not just use the RJ-45? Adapters are cheap and serial AICs are cheap too if you don't have a legacy system laying around.

What I am suggesting would involve the end user downloading an update from Schiit via the internet, copying the file to a USB thumb drive and then inserting the thumb drive into the device in question for installation. This method is in use by several other manufacturers at the moment and should be relatively easy to implement.

JC

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #25,922 of 150,788
What I am suggesting would involve the end user downloading an update from Schiit via the internet, copying the file to a USB thumb drive and then inserting the thumb drive into the device in question for installation. This method is in use by several other manufacturers at the moment and should be relatively easy to implement.

JC

The jack you're referring to is internal in the chassis, and not owner-accessible. Per the "no user serviceable parts inside" clause, we won't be encouraging anyone to change their firmware. We'd like to be around for the long run.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 24, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #25,923 of 150,788
Wishlist time?! Hot diggity!

How about Magni and Bifrost size power amplifiers? I have some tiny speakers to power.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #25,924 of 150,788
Jason,

While the thread seems to be about people's wish lists at the moment, is there any chance that you might change the programming of your devices to use a USB connector rather than the RJ-45 jack currently used to allow the end user to perform updates from home?

JC
Does Schiit allow that? I would be shocked.

I have seen some Microchip pucks in some of the Schiithole photos. So you have buy one of those, download MPLabs. And get Schiit to send you a binary. And there are more than two signals coming out of the puck. The ones that do come out, do not want to be differentially coupled over USB 2.0 twisted shielded pair D+ and D- lines. And then fab yourself an RJ-45 to USB cable. This idea is not fully thought out.

Edit: Never mind. Saw Jason's response.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #25,925 of 150,788
should be relatively easy to implement.

I have been firmware-updating a DAC lately. It involved downloading a multi-hundred-megabyte development suite that only runs properly on certain versions of Windows, a special adaptor and complex instructions how to do it without bricking the DAC. So barring installing an actual computer inside the DAC already set up for the purpose, I don't think it would be easy at all.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #25,926 of 150,788
If you want to overload your tech support with unwanted traffic firmware updates are a great way to achieve this, whatever ppl technically unable to do it or bricking their gear(and possibly playing dumb). Too bad for non-US customers.

Good example is how to inject new filters in the Soekris DAC's lol, you need a RS232/USB cable and inject binaries via telnet huh. I'll get to it but wish me luck ^^

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #25,928 of 150,788
Does Schiit allow that? I would be shocked.

I have seen some Microchip pucks in some of the Schiithole photos. So you have buy one of those, download MPLabs. And get Schiit to send you a binary. And there are more than two signals coming out of the puck. The ones that do come out, do not want to be differentially coupled over USB 2.0 twisted shielded pair D+ and D- lines. And then fab yourself an RJ-45 to USB cable. This idea is not fully thought out.

Edit: Never mind. Saw Jason's response.

I didn't have anything quite that complicated in mind. I was thinking of something similar to what PS Audio does to allow customer updates to its DACs.

Anyhow, it was just a thought. I'm not offended if Jason doesn't like it. :)

JC

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #25,929 of 150,788
A DAC that needs constant updating (or at least sufficiently frequent updating to justify users doing it) does not appeal to me. It would indicate to this old engineer that the initial design was not robust. Digital audio simply does not change that fast.

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #25,930 of 150,788
There's no real advance on Vali 2--it already uses a unique current-feedback stage that is designed for a tube front-end and does not require interstage coupling capacitors. It's a really neat topology, and already has the advantages of a current-feedback approach.

Now, throwing a whole lot of money at a Vali 2, to address the limitations of its current architecture (that are not addressable due to size, heat, or budget constraints) is a whole 'nother thing, and I'm sure we'll take a look at that. No guarantee it'll become a product, though. We still have to see how it performs, and how it sounds.

Jason,
This "want" conflicts with the too many options rule however, it is only one more item :wink:

Keep the current version, add an option.
Vali 2 for 6SN7 tubes?

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #25,932 of 150,788
I bought my socket savers from Tube Depot.....cheap black....only $2.49. No difference in sound quality. I even use them with adapters to run 5670 tubes.

I love TubeDepot ... but for a few $ more you can get a socket saver with a Beldin socket from EuroTubes. I'm running one in my Saga now to lift the tube out of the chassis. Great quality and looks awesome!

EDIT: I'm no shill for EuroTubes ... the only thing I've ever purchased from them was the socket saver, as it was the highest quality I could find and TheTubeStore had already sold out of the NOS socket savers.

Socket saver on the left:
IMG_20170308_082612.jpg

Socket saver installed in saga:
mganga.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #25,933 of 150,788
I love TubeDepot ... but for a few $ more you can get a socket saver with a Beldin socket from EuroTubes. I'm running one in my Saga now to lift the tube out of the chassis. Great quality and looks awesome!

EDIT: I'm no shill for EuroTubes ... the only thing I've ever purchased from them was the socket saver, as it was the highest quality I could find and TheTubeStore had already sold out of the NOS socket savers.

Socket saver on the left:

Socket saver installed in saga:
Can socket savers be installed/removed in Lyr2 without removing the housing? I just got one and so far have just been doing LISST with my HE560. If I want to try tube rolling I thought it might be easier with socket savers

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #25,934 of 150,788
Can socket savers be installed/removed in Lyr2 without removing the housing? I just got one and so far have just been doing LISST with my HE560. If I want to try tube rolling I thought it might be easier with socket savers

Yes. There is no need to open the box, just insert the tube savers directly.

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #25,935 of 150,788
A reminder: digital questions are best directed at Mike. I'm sure you'll get unambiguous answers from him.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back