Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 26, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #25,936 of 149,325
On vacation in the US to visit some family...so Magni 3 delivered today :D
I knew I would'nt be able to test it before I fly back to Europe (230V AC/AC adapter), but a bit frustrating though :confused:
@Jason Stoddard does it work when plugged on a step-up (115 => 230 V) voltage converter ? My question is about 50hz (indicated on the EU wall wart) vs. 60hz from US grid... :)

Ali

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #25,937 of 149,325
Has anyone ever thought about an updated, balanced in/out version of Valhalla 2 (3)? Probably, LOL!

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #25,938 of 149,325
On vacation in the US to visit some family...so Magni 3 delivered today :D
I knew I would'nt be able to test it before I fly back to Europe (230V AC/AC adapter), but a bit frustrating though :confused:
@Jason Stoddard does it work when plugged on a step-up (115 => 230 V) voltage converter ? My question is about 50hz (indicated on the EU wall wart) vs. 60hz from US grid... :)

Ali

Yep, that's how we test them at the factory.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 27, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #25,939 of 149,325
Has anyone ever thought about an updated, balanced in/out version of Valhalla 2 (3)? Probably, LOL!

I'm pretty sure that would have been Jason's Gjallarhorn.

gjallarhorn_small.jpg

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #25,940 of 149,325
Finally! After spending the Summer packing house, in transition and attending to biz trips, and finally landing in my new home (including the requisite unpacking, etc.) I finally received and set up a pair of black Vidar's in my system today. Holy smokes! (And I have not yet engaged Plan C! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #25,941 of 149,325
So I'm confused about what gain means.... both Saga and Lyr2 on lo gain list a gain of 1, but to get the same volume level, I am using 10-11 o'clock on Lyr2 vs 2 o'clock on Saga. The cables here are less than 2 feet to Vidar in either case. Why the discrepancy? This volume difference appears to hold throughout the range of both preamps
IMG_0156.JPG

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #25,942 of 149,325
So I'm confused about what gain means.... both Saga and Lyr2 on lo gain list a gain of 1, but to get the same volume level, I am using 10-11 o'clock on Lyr2 vs 2 o'clock on Saga. The cables here are less than 2 feet to Vidar in either case. Why the discrepancy? This volume difference appears to hold throughout the range of both preamps
It's probably because lyr uses a potentiometer and saga uses relay-switched stepped attenuation.

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #25,944 of 149,325
So then why when they're both maxed out, is Ly2 still significantly louder?

I was going by the idea that the volume range might not be linear on one or the other, but now that you state this, I'll have to defer to @Jason Stoddard

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #25,945 of 149,325
Dear all,

I have posted some enthusiastic posts about Gumby in the Gungnir thread before. But now I am a proud Vidar owner, so I think this here might be the right place despite my lack of cats (hilarious, please keep posting).

I am now listening for two weeks. I left Vidar on all the time which is replacing a Parasound A23. I am feeding one Vidar with 5umby (Gumby USB 5) and Parasound P5. Loudspeakers are Brocksieper Minara.

I am floored. I love this system so much. My reference is my father's system that includes Gumby + Accuphase preamp + Electrocompaniet AW400 mono blocks. While I cannot compare directly (a continent and then some water are in between), it is just unbelievable how realistic everything sounds. Probably less euphonic than the Electrocompaniet, a different esthetics. But this system now can generate an almost perfect illusion of the acoustics where the music was recorded. It is almost frightening.

I am so impressed that I ordered a Freya to see how it compares to the P5.

Greetings from LA!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #25,946 of 149,325
Finally! After spending the Summer packing house, in transition and attending to biz trips, and finally landing in my new home (including the requisite unpacking, etc.) I finally received and set up a pair of black Vidar's in my system today. Holy smokes! (And I have not yet engaged Plan C! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Finally back on a more normal schedule. Just Ordered Yiggy, Freya, and 2 Vidars to celebrate.

The first set of ALL NEW components in 23 years. Thank You Jason and Mike!

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #25,948 of 149,325
Finally back on a more normal schedule. Just Ordered Yiggy, Freya, and 2 Vidars to celebrate.

The first set of ALL NEW components in 23 years. Thank You Jason and Mike!
Wow that sounds great.
Did you have some acoustical work done on the house before moving in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back