Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 25, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #22,726 of 151,243
Oh man! That's my worst nightmare. My turntable is currently on the top shelf of my closet until my two year old daughter turns five.

My toddler who did that is now a very tall deep voiced teenager. When I get that table I think I will get a new pressing of Kind of Blue and listen to it with him. Let him know what a fine record it was that he tried to put in his toy box. We should get a good laugh over it.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #22,727 of 151,243
Our two year old daughter has been fine keeping away from anything we tell her not to touch. Our nearly one year old son, not so much. Must be a boy/girl thing. I was just thinking today about replacing my stand-mount bookshelf speakers with a sound bar(!) because I am worried he is going to pull one of them down and hurt himself. Now you have me worried about the turntable, too!

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #22,728 of 151,243
Our two year old daughter has been fine keeping away from anything we tell her not to touch. Our nearly one year old son, not so much. Must be a boy/girl thing. I was just thinking today about replacing my stand-mount bookshelf speakers with a sound bar(!) because I am worried he is going to pull one of them down and hurt himself. Now you have me worried about the turntable, too!

Sound bar!? Replace them with large floor standers with metal grills over the woofers.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #22,729 of 151,243
Agree. I would like nothing more than for digital to sound better than vinyl in every way. I do have a few hundred records so will still be nice to have a turntable in my case. I can completely understand someone not wanting to get into vinyl. I do get a little tired of people trashing vinyl and those who like it the same way I dislike vinyl snobs. Lot's of ignorance and close mindedness. But believe me those who have high quality digital, including Yggy, and high quality vinyl and still prefer the sound of vinyl are not necessarily stupid or members of a vinyl religion. Not anymore than being involved in hi fi is a religion. Same is true for those who prefer digital. Both are good and legit and help the other push to a higher level.

Curious if the CD was remastered as well and made to sound "better".

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #22,730 of 151,243
My wife got me a budget Denon DP300F turntable last year and I started buying LPs. I particularly like those 180gms productions. I have about 57 LPs now.... don't laugh.

Then 2 months ago, I bought Yggy and I stopped buying LPs and I stopped using the turntable. If you had told me that Yggy sounded like vinyl a year ago, I would have look at you with a funny look. However Yggy does sound like vinyl now... without the pops and crackles.

Be careful though. Yggy will encourage you to upgrade your other gear.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #22,731 of 151,243
Sound bar!? Replace them with large floor standers with metal grills over the woofers.
My father had a second batch of young ones, when we moved his sub you could hear some rattle, the bass port was stuffed with pastry, legos, plush toys etc. And that was just the stuff we managed to pull out.
Everything within reach, is within reach. Even things behind grills.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #22,732 of 151,243
So in the quest to put together something without breaking the bank, I plan to stick with my mimby and get a saga/vidar rather than going to monoblocks. I've heard some people here saying that monoblocks are required to run LS50s, but I'm wondering if that's really true for a 12'x20' room. I don't have those speakers yet either but they are what I'm eyeing up to pair with the new amp. Has anyone been listening to LS50s with a single vidar? 100W into 8 ohms really not enough for a living room?
I wouldn't hesitate using one Vidar with the Kef's.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #22,733 of 151,243
I started buying music in the early 80s, and the choice was records or cassette tapes, so I bought records, and just carried on. All things being equal I tend to prefer vinyl records, but I also enjoy CD and digital files, not MP3 though.

When I worked in retail we had a customer bring in his speaker, complaining it was rattling, and there was a hole in the bass driver. Took the driver out, and discovered a selelection of pens and pencils.Turns out he had a toddler, who had most likely poked a hole in the unit with a pencil, and then inserted more through the hole. Always a good idea to keep the grilles on!

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #22,734 of 151,243
These stories make me glad my speakers have solid metal grills that are impossible to remove without a special tool...

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #22,735 of 151,243
I started buying music in the early 80s, and the choice was records or cassette tapes, so I bought records, and just carried on. All things being equal I tend to prefer vinyl records, but I also enjoy CD and digital files, not MP3 though.

When I worked in retail we had a customer bring in his speaker, complaining it was rattling, and there was a hole in the bass driver. Took the driver out, and discovered a selelection of pens and pencils.Turns out he had a toddler, who had most likely poked a hole in the unit with a pencil, and then inserted more through the hole. Always a good idea to keep the grilles on!

You know, being a middle school teacher is a remarkable contraceptive :joy:

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #22,736 of 151,243
Freya/Vidar vs Yamaha A-S2100.

The Freya/Vidar combo sounds better than the A-S2100 at lower volume. The A-S2100 sounds great at 80db or above but the Freya/Vidar sounds excellent at all volume levels. I bought the combo with full intentions of using it in my office system with my LS50's. That is not going to happen. The A-S2100's permanent home is now in the office system. I have always loved the sound quality of the Yamaha. It really surprised me when the Freya/Vidar bested it.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #22,738 of 151,243
Perhaps the disappointing sound from the CD was due to a less than stellar DAC? Maybe if the CD was fed to a Yggdrasil you might hear that same lovely quality you heard on the vinyl...? :L3000:

One word - mastering. His CD is likely from the later (subpar) remasters. First (original) vinyl and CD pressings of DSotM and The Wall sound equally good on my Schiit/vinyl setups.
But I prefer my vinyl lately...and I can't point exactly why. There is something in it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #22,739 of 151,243
...still waiting for someone to compare these Vidars to a reputable power amp like a Bryston or a vintage Yamaha.

I have a Bryston 3BSST and a Yamaha B2 that get used with my YGGY/FREYA combo. Just, FYI, the 40 year old but rebuilt B2 wins that battle every time.

Is there anything here to interest me in a pair of Vidars?

The Schiit system is sounding fantastic.

Windows 10 laptop running JRiver version 23 - Schiit Eitr - Gungnir Multibit - Freya with Sylvania jan chs 6sn7gt vt-231 tubes - single Vidar - Tekton Impact speakers.

This system sounds so good that my Yamaha A-S2100 is going into my secondary system in the office. For those that have not heard a Yamaha's high end A-S2100 this is high praise, since it sounds great, but the Freya / Vidar combo sounds even better.

Freya/Vidar vs Yamaha A-S2100.

The Freya/Vidar combo sounds better than the A-S2100 at lower volume. The A-S2100 sounds great at 80db or above but the Freya/Vidar sounds excellent at all volume levels. I bought the combo with full intentions of using it in my office system with my LS50's. That is not going to happen. The A-S2100's permanent home is now in the office system. I have always loved the sound quality of the Yamaha. It really surprised me when the Freya/Vidar bested it.

As a very happy Yamaha A-S3000 owner this has me scratching my chin.... dare I go down the rabbit hole or just be content with what I have? The A-S3000 retails in the UK for £4k but I got an incredible deal on one for almost half that. Freya + 2 Vidars would cost me almost as much (£2.1k). Perhaps my money would be better spent on a Yggy which I have promised myself for the last 2 years. It's just my sphincter still spasms at the thought of dropping £2.3k on a DAC when I only heard a very small improvement when I demo'd a Gumby against my 4490 Bifrost on my 2ch system (though to be fair to Gumby I was restricted to using single-ended at the time because the A-S1000 amp I had didn't have balanced inputs). Life would be so much simpler if I had disposable income to throw at this hobby... as it is I'd be stretching myself no mater what upgrade I prioritise.

PS - Have we had any comparisons yet of Ragnarok -vs- Freya (tubes bypassed) + 2x Vidars?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #22,740 of 151,243
I've been following this thread since I became interested in Vidar, two of which are in route.

Jason, I don't know if this is something you'd want to divulge publicly, but your candor in discussing Schiit in general is refreshing, to say the least. Since it appears there's high interest in Vidar, I've wondered what kind of numbers it's expected to sell in? Hundreds? Thousands? Perhaps it's more about supply than demand.

I guess I'm curious because Schiit would seem to be considered a relatively small company, and I don't know how to quantify that in the audio world. I suppose I've long been a supporter of the small but disruptive types of business, and I find Schiit particularly interesting because there's a little irreverence in me, as well. I find myself frequently rooting for the underdog.

So here's to your continued success!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back