Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 25, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #22,696 of 149,548
Does the Mjolnir 2 produce more overall heat than the Valhalla 2? I currently have the latter, and whilst I'm not concerned about how hot the unit itself is, I find the room it's in gets rather warm after a couple of hours of usage, and I'm not sure I would want something that will make it even warmer.
I probably notice more heat off my M2 than my V2. That being said I don't find either of them impossible to use during the 100° days we're getting this summer. I moved my bimby/V2 combo to my desk where I'm simply unaware of the temps. The M2 and Gunby are in my living area and this time of the year I've always got a fan on me. Ha

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #22,697 of 149,548
It says something about Jason and crew's business model/marketing/philosophy that when its all said and done choosing a pair of speakers becomes the most difficult part of purchasing a new two channel rig. I kicked down for a Freya easy enough when it first came out. Last week it was two Vidar and a Yddgrasil ( gen5 bonus for waiting)
So here I am fence bound by a group of transducers. Push me. Please. By miracle of the maker, but more likely a ****load of hard work, the release coincided with a wad of disposable income but not enough to rationalize a pair of MM 1.7 and a pair more bottom heavy and meaty, as I had imagined.

So all this begs the question... Phonograph(?), are you kidding! No offense to Sr. Moffit but a turn table is not a device "...for all the music you have."
It's almost as if I'm afraid to type the words. If Jason is reading this he has already bargain to cringe. He knows deep down in his soul this resonates, as if trapped in a wooden cabinet, a deep 20hz desire, to cross back over into that world from whence he came, of sawdust and glue, to once again renew, that dream gone silent like a flat frequency response, it's time Brother. It's time to build the ultimate box, two holes or three it matters not, it's time Schiit got off the pot and built the outhouse!

Actually, not everyone dumped their vinyl when CDs came out. A lot of us kept them and continued to add to our LP collections along with our growing Digital stash. Granted, maybe I hang out in a more audiophile oriented crowd than many people here, but LPs are a large part of almost all my friends listening habits. I'm helping my wife's best friend set up her first real stereo, and a turntable has to be part of it, since she has a few hundred records dating back to her teenage and young adult years. Her youngest son (early 20s) is a DJ and creates EDM tracks, and has a large (for his age) LP collection. My son bugs me every time I talk to him about when his turntable will be arriving, since I promised to get him one. He has already amassed a small but growing collection of about 100 LPs, and a real record cleaner to help out with used LP purchases.

I don't actually expect young people to "get into" records, but as I tell people, if you have a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle, or someone who is going to leave you their collection some day, might as well prepare for it.

I love that Mike has designed a turntable that might be reasonably priced. It certainly would be part of "...for all the music you have." if you have records.

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #22,698 of 149,548
Agreed I also have a modest vinyl collection dating back to late 1960's thru mid 1980's as well as CDs, and digital ( iTunes ), and like any format each has pluses and minuses, oh I also some cassette tapes and players, but no reel to reel. I enjoy them all at different times for different reasons.
...Awaiting Freya and Vidar for pick up. Will start with one Vidar, but plan to try to go for two for monoblock..Will have wait a bit to upgrade YGGY as it is a recent purchase, and am in deep Schiit now!!?

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #22,699 of 149,548
I started my record collection in the 90s when I was in high school because records were so cheap (cheaper than used CDs are today). I mostly listened to music from the 70s and 80s anyway so it made sense when I could buy an entire crate full of records for $5.

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #22,700 of 149,548
Actually, not everyone dumped their vinyl when CDs came out. A lot of us kept them and continued to add to our LP collections along with our growing Digital stash. Granted, maybe I hang out in a more audiophile oriented crowd than many people here, but LPs are a large part of almost all my friends listening habits. I'm helping my wife's best friend set up her first real stereo, and a turntable has to be part of it, since she has a few hundred records dating back to her teenage and young adult years. Her youngest son (early 20s) is a DJ and creates EDM tracks, and has a large (for his age) LP collection. My son bugs me every time I talk to him about when his turntable will be arriving, since I promised to get him one. He has already amassed a small but growing collection of about 100 LPs, and a real record cleaner to help out with used LP purchases.

I don't actually expect young people to "get into" records, but as I tell people, if you have a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle, or someone who is going to leave you their collection some day, might as well prepare for it.

I love that Mike has designed a turntable that might be reasonably priced. It certainly would be part of "...for all the music you have." if you have records.
Ah...you can read it like that too. I saw someone begging for Shiitty speakers.
Not sure if I would buy a turntable again, but I might as I own vinyl myself. Shiit speakers however...

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #22,701 of 149,548
So this is why stereo mode with one Vidar can get louder than two Vidars in mono mode with the Kefls50's?

Are you measuring the volume, or does it "sound" louder? Two Vidar's will sound cleaner, and therefore might not give you the standard audible cues you may associate with volume. Cleaner sound, at the same or higher volume than less clean sound, will not always sound as loud. Perception is more important than numbers, once again.

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #22,702 of 149,548
I was at the Schittr last week and saw/heard the prototype turntable. Was happy with the overall sound. Very little hissing/scratching. The needle/arm seemed to travel well along the groove. Wouldn't be surprised if the price point is around the $700 range to go along with Freya and Vidar, but that's purely my speculation. Was told that it will be able to play 33s, 45s, and 78s, but it is a prototype after all and that may change. It will include a cartridge and tonearm... again, prototype stage. Young enough not to own any LPs, but I am sitting on a stack of well shellacked 78s along with a few 45s and 33s from my wife's grand and great-grand parents. Amongst all the waltzes there is one and only one exception: Chuck Berry's Maybellene.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #22,703 of 149,548
I'm trying to think of the name of Jason's speaker business. There's some photos around here.
IMG_20170422_101914185.jpg
Not sure if the world is ready for outhouse shaped speakers even with porting options.

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #22,704 of 149,548
Are you measuring the volume, or does it "sound" louder? Two Vidar's will sound cleaner, and therefore might not give you the standard audible cues you may associate with volume. Cleaner sound, at the same or higher volume than less clean sound, will not always sound as loud. Perception is more important than numbers, once again.
Yes i havent measured it with decibel reader. You are right . I know two vidars are better as i have listened in both stereo and mono and mono is clearer . I'm guessing you are right . time to use a decibel reader and experiment.

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #22,705 of 149,548
Vinyl is way too much of a religion for me...Although there was a time when that is all there was...Plus Reel to Reel decks of course....But with limited Signal/Noise over digital, The fact that with every cartridge's stylus wears a different path in the vinyl that will interact with a different shape when replaced with a new stylus, Plus it's so much work to clean, dry and mount the vinyl on the TT.....Lower the arm....hurry and sit down in your MLP....then listen to the whole album when all you want is just one song? So glad the Yggy has made me forget bout all that crap... But I do admire folks that still go down that rabbit hole and are sticking to their guns....

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #22,706 of 149,548
Vinyl does not have to be a religion.

I have lots of mostly old/used/gifted albums that I spin on 1977 vintage Pioneer turntables through mostly 1970s Pioneer (sometimes other brand) systems.
Systems that outclass anything I had when I was younger.
Installed are $100 — $200 cartridges, set up better than they ever were in the 1970s and 80's.
The albums contain at least 75% music I do not have digital or otherwise.

The SQ via speakers is fine for listening while fixing dinner, cleaning house, dancing around, folks having fun/food/beverage, casual "get into it" sit downs, sometime serious listening and such.
Just like when the turntables were new.
Sometimes the SQ is so good .... it just grabs.

Of course the SQ can get lots better, and some new Schiit may be joining in on the fun, just to see :wink:

IMHO & JMTC,
r2

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #22,707 of 149,548
Studies are out there on the webz if you choose to go find them, but the peak of the vinyl resurgence bell curve was in 2014 and popularity is now in decline. Soon it will be back to the grave where it belongs - except for those who own it and love to play with it, of course. Or they could be like me: liquidate a large collection, build a music server, buy lots of CDs, burn to HDs and enjoy the sound quality and convenience improvements and don't look back. :)

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #22,709 of 149,548
Vinyl does not have to be a religion.
Vinyl is like a religion because you have to do like 5+ manual almost ritualistic steps to start playing music. People spend more time starting a record than someone religious use on their evening prayers.

I still have loads of vinyl and if I get a cabin I might move all the records there and install a record player because it's kinda cool a couple times a year. Or if I get a kid I might give him the records and a record player because it's a fun experience to see music being reproduced in an analog form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back