Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 25, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #22,711 of 149,513
The only consumer equipment that needs VU meters are recorders. Otherwise they are distracting toys that only add to the cost of gear. Bah Humbug to power meters.

Studies are out there on the webz if you choose to go find them, but the peak of the vinyl resurgence bell curve was in 2014 and popularity is now in decline. Soon it will be back to the grave where it belongs - except for those who own it and love to play with it, of course. Or they could be like me: liquidate a large collection, build a music server, buy lots of CDs, burn to HDs and enjoy the sound quality and convenience improvements and don't look back. :)

:beyersmile:Wow....Here this will make you feel better!:L3000:
mcintosh-audio-turntable.jpg
:beyersmile::upside_down::poop:

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #22,713 of 149,513
Even a decent entry level vinyl setup will do some things no current digital setup can do. Unless you have truly looked into this and heard proper comparisons for yourself I realize this is hard to believe. I did not want to believe this at all. But I got curious and put a Grado Gold cartridge on my Dad's vintage high quality Denon table and found that I preferred almost all my clean vinyl pressings to the CD equivalent. A good example was Pink Floyd The Wall 3rd side. The acoustic guitar picking sounds flat with the rest of the mix on CD compared to vinyl. On vinyl it was separated and floating in the room with a natural presence that the CD could not match. I was intimately familiar with this CD on my system so it was easy to notice.

Unfortunately my toddler son at the time undid the latch on the cabinet and grabbed the tonearm and dug the cartridge into the record on the platter. I found this out when I saw that the record was missing from the platter and the cartridge was ruined. Started looking for the record and finally found it in my sons room mixed with his toys on the floor. This was an amazing sounding 180gram pressing of Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I have missed it every since and will be ordering a new table soon. If Mike Moffat did not think there was merit to the sound of vinyl he would not have spent the time developing a turntable. One of the reasons I am such a big fan of Schiit Multibit is that it is closer to the natural sound of vinyl. Will be very nice to have both a good vinyl and digital rig.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #22,714 of 149,513
Even a decent entry level vinyl setup will do some things no current digital setup can do. Unless you have truly looked into this and heard proper comparisons for yourself I realize this is hard to believe. I did not want to believe this at all. But I got curious and put a Grado Gold cartridge on my Dad's vintage high quality Denon table and found that I preferred almost all my clean vinyl pressings to the CD equivalent. A good example was Pink Floyd The Wall 3rd side. The acoustic guitar picking sounds flat with the rest of the mix on CD compared to vinyl. On vinyl it was separated and floating in the room with a natural presence that the CD could not match. I was intimately familiar with this CD on my system so it was easy to notice.

Perhaps the disappointing sound from the CD was due to a less than stellar DAC? Maybe if the CD was fed to a Yggdrasil you might hear that same lovely quality you heard on the vinyl...? :L3000:

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #22,715 of 149,513
Perhaps the disappointing sound from the CD was due to a less than stellar DAC? Maybe if the CD was fed to a Yggdrasil you might hear that same lovely quality you heard on the vinyl...? :L3000:

Agree. I would like nothing more than for digital to sound better than vinyl in every way. I do have a few hundred records so will still be nice to have a turntable in my case. I can completely understand someone not wanting to get into vinyl. I do get a little tired of people trashing vinyl and those who like it the same way I dislike vinyl snobs. Lot's of ignorance and close mindedness. But believe me those who have high quality digital, including Yggy, and high quality vinyl and still prefer the sound of vinyl are not necessarily stupid or members of a vinyl religion. Not anymore than being involved in hi fi is a religion. Same is true for those who prefer digital. Both are good and legit and help the other push to a higher level.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #22,717 of 149,513
Agree. I would like nothing more than for digital to sound better than vinyl in every way. I do have a few hundred records so will still be nice to have a turntable in my case. I can completely understand someone not wanting to get into vinyl. I do get a little tired of people trashing vinyl and those who like it the same way I dislike vinyl snobs. Lot's of ignorance and close mindedness. But believe me those who have high quality digital, including Yggy, and high quality vinyl and still prefer the sound of vinyl are not necessarily stupid or members of a vinyl religion. Not anymore than being involved in hi fi is a religion. Same is true for those who prefer digital. Both are good and legit and help the other push to a higher level.

I have a 20-yo nephew who is slowly amassing a small vinyl collection, and I think vinyl is cool... I'm just too cheap to invest in it myself :laughing:, but I know many audiophiles who swear by it.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #22,718 of 149,513
I have a 20-yo nephew who is slowly amassing a small vinyl collection, and I think vinyl is cool... I'm just too cheap to invest in it myself :laughing:, but I know many audiophiles who swear by it.

Same with me but I am about to get one anyway. We were visiting my Mom and my daughter asked if she could have my Mitsubishi turntable that I bought in the 80s. I told her she could. So we brought it home and the belt was melted so I replaced it and installed a $40 Audio Technica cartridge. Played The Wall again and it sounded great. I played the Fleetwood Mac song Over My Head from an old vinyl pressing I had and it sounded great. Decided to play that vinyl track on my Senn HD800S and I was blown away at how dimensional, natural, and flowing the music was. No hint of analytical yet beautifully detailed. Such great momentum and PRAT. In that case the CD just does not sound completely right anymore even compared to that cheap table and cartridge. On the other hand my old vinyl pressing of Jethro Tull Songs From the Wood sound very poor compared to my CD. There is a new 180gram pressing of Songs From the Wood coming out 8/4/17. I may get it hoping it is a much better pressing. A new Steven Wilson Album is coming out in August. I plan to get both the LP and the CD. Will be interesting to compare.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #22,719 of 149,513
Experience has taught me you have to spend many times the cost of an Yggy on a turntable plus cartridge plus phono preamp to play in Yggy's league. Not that vinyl can't be fun or rewarding. A turntable around Yggy's price will be very rewarding, but nope, ain't gonna do it. Yggy and the rest of the multubit gang have that "analog" feel to it. The nice thing is what Yggy does for what it costs. And you can get a lot of that even with Mimby and Bimby. I still like my vinyl but Yggy changed the equation.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #22,720 of 149,513
The great thing about this hobby is if it sounds good to you and makes you happy it is the right choice for you.

We just moved and I had to decide if I was going to move my vinyl and turntable or not. I had not had the turntable hooked up since we moved 20 years earlier. I hooked it up and gave some of the LP's a spin. The annoying cracks and pops where there, compressed dynamic range, wow and flutter from the hole not being punched in the centre with the tone arm moving back and forth as well as up and down from the slightly warped LP. Went looking for a record in better shape that doesn't flex under it's own weight. Found one, listened to it, it was still underwhelming. Played a CD and said "wow what a difference!"

Sold the pioneer turntable and gave all my vinyl to a good home that loves the ritual and sound and doesn't mind the cracks and pops, etc.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #22,721 of 149,513
Experience has taught me you have to spend many times the cost of an Yggy on a turntable plus cartridge plus phono preamp to play in Yggy's league. Not that vinyl can't be fun or rewarding. A turntable around Yggy's price will be very rewarding, but nope, ain't gonna do it. Yggy and the rest of the multubit gang have that "analog" feel to it. The nice thing is what Yggy does for what it costs. And you can get a lot of that even with Mimby and Bimby. I still like my vinyl but Yggy changed the equation.

I am planning to get a Yggy about this time next summer. By then I am thinking we will see an upgrade to the Yggy and I want to get it after that. I personally want a great vinyl and digital rig. If I could only have one or the other I would pick the Schiit Multibit because the vast majority of my music collection is digital not to mention streaming. But I do enjoy getting good pressing of my favorite albums on vinyl.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #22,722 of 149,513
The great thing about this hobby is if it sounds good to you and makes you happy it is the right choice for you.

We just moved and I had to decide if I was going to move my vinyl and turntable or not. I had not had the turntable hooked up since we moved 20 years earlier. I hooked it up and gave some of the LP's a spin. The annoying cracks and pops where there, compressed dynamic range, wow and flutter from the hole not being punched in the centre with the tone arm moving back and forth as well as up and down from the slightly warped LP. Went looking for a record in better shape that doesn't flex under it's own weight. Found one, listened to it, it was still underwhelming. Played a CD and said "wow what a difference!"

Sold the pioneer turntable and gave all my vinyl to a good home that loves the ritual and sound and doesn't mind the cracks and pops, etc.

Yep that is the way my old table is as well. However if you have a proper cleaner like an $80 spin clean or $200 record doctor and a decent phono stage like the Schiit Mani and you have done the proper setup of the table. One some recording your wow could flip the other way. Crappy vinyl will sound crappy. I bought a Reference Recording LP and their CD recording of Vivaldi and Bach. The record sounded utterly amazing and the CD sounded like scratchy steel and unlistenable after hearing the vinyl. This will vary from recording to recording. Have you played a quality new 180 gram pressing? Usually much better than mass produced LPs from the 80s

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #22,723 of 149,513
You know what is REALLY great about this hobby? You can do whatever you want to do and I can do whatever I want and there is no right or wrong answer. It truly is "whatever floats your boat."
I can report what works best for me, you can report what works best for you, we can compare notes, make recommendations, talk about bits and warble. You can do vinyl and I can do my server. There is no winner, there is only enjoyment. The only contest I could "win" is speed of changing from Depeche Mode to Hank Williams to Rancid. Wanna try? :ksc75smile:

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #22,724 of 149,513
You know what is REALLY great about this hobby? You can do whatever you want to do and I can do whatever I want and there is no right or wrong answer. It truly is "whatever floats your boat."
I can report what works best for me, you can report what works best for you, we can compare notes, make recommendations, talk about bits and warble. You can do vinyl and I can do my server. There is no winner, there is only enjoyment. The only contest I could "win" is speed of changing from Depeche Mode to Hank Williams to Rancid. Wanna try? :ksc75smile:

Very well put. Kind of like the tube and solid state thing. Different approaches to support ones love of music. And by the way I do not want to be a vinyl apologist per se. Just adding some perspective to balance things out and perhaps illustrate why it is good to see a Schiit table. I love my digital collection and my server as much as anyone. I love my portable digital rig. I fell fortunate to have both tube and solid state and I really get the arguments for both and love them both.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #22,725 of 149,513
Unfortunately my toddler son at the time undid the latch on the cabinet and grabbed the tonearm and dug the cartridge into the record on the platter. I found this out when I saw that the record was missing from the platter and the cartridge was ruined. Started looking for the record and finally found it in my sons room mixed with his toys on the floor. This was an amazing sounding 180gram pressing of Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I have missed it every since and will be ordering a new table soon. If Mike Moffat did not think there was merit to the sound of vinyl he would not have spent the time developing a turntable. One of the reasons I am such a big fan of Schiit Multibit is that it is closer to the natural sound of vinyl. Will be very nice to have both a good vinyl and digital rig.

Oh man! That's my worst nightmare. My turntable is currently on the top shelf of my closet until my two year old daughter turns five.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back