Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #22,666 of 149,451
Be careful, some rambunctious individuals hereabouts will insist you need a second Vidar. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Personally I have put my Vidar purchase on hold until the Fall. I am doing a different upgrade first- I am buying a new listening room! It comes with a nice house attached, and I need to focus on this before going dual Vidar.
Yes I am rambunctious and I have listened to both stereo and mono and if you can afford it,go mono! :L3000:

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #22,667 of 149,451
Nuprime Ida-8 A+D integrated.

My favorite amp in my house is the Rogue Cronos Magnum II Integrated tube amp and I believe the Vidars have better grip,resolution than the Rogue amp which is quite good imo.The Rogue amp is more powerful as I suspect your A21 would be compared to 2 Vidars in monoblock mode.
The Cronos Magnum is a helluva amp! The A21 is less powerful with 8ohm speakers (250wpc) but probably about equal to Vidar monblocked with 4ohm speakers (400wpc). I've got PBN Montana Monitors that are 8ohm 100wpc that I may move into this rig, but I'm going to see how the Vidars handle my 4ohm ELAC UF-5's first. Haven't seen much feedback yet on how it works with 4ohm speakers monoblocked so I'm not sure what the chances are they can handle all of that power.

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #22,668 of 149,451
Yes I am rambunctious and I have listened to both stereo and mono and if you can afford it,go mono! :L3000:
It makes sense to go dual mono with a 84 db speaker, but something like a 94 db Impact, it is not required. The LS50's require ten times the power to reach the same volume as a high efficient 94 db + speaker.
Double the power for every 3db decrease. Or ten times the power for every 10db decrease.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #22,669 of 149,451
It makes sense to go dual mono with a 84 db speaker, but something like a 94 db Impact, it is not required. The LS50's require ten times the power to reach the same volume as a high efficient 94 db + speaker.
Double the power for every 3db decrease. Or ten times the power for every 10db decrease.
You are correct and boy are the Kef's powe4 hungry . I went through 5-6 amps before finding the Rogue Cronos I liked with it .

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #22,671 of 149,451

Impedance and electrical phase angle also apparently make a big difference. My ATC SCM19 are about the same efficiency (~84dB) as the LS50s, but are a relatively stable 8 ohm speaker with generally benign phase angle making them a fairly easy load to drive (although require more of a turn on the volume knob to get up to the dB you may want compared to higher efficiency speakers).

One Vidar is doing some pretty damn good things with those speakers right now...

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #22,673 of 149,451
Hey Jason, you may want to update these questions on the Saga and Freya FAQs pages:

So where are your power amps to match this preamp?
Patience is a virtue.

But I need a power amp now!
We’re unaware of the current alien plot to secure, contain, and eliminate all audio power amplifiers on the planet, so we believe there are any number of good amps out there for you to choose from.​

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #22,675 of 149,451
You're welcome! With my 2 channel setup using Freya and a single Vidar, I am really enjoying the sound I am getting from my Tekton Double Impact speakers. How do you like your speakers?
I really like the Impacts. It amazes me how tonally accurate they are. When I first saw a picture of them several months ago; I thought they were a joke, and there was no way they could sound as good as everyone who owned them said. Man was I wrong. I would buy them again (or the doubles) in a heartbeat.

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #22,678 of 149,451
Does the Mjolnir 2 produce more overall heat than the Valhalla 2? I currently have the latter, and whilst I'm not concerned about how hot the unit itself is, I find the room it's in gets rather warm after a couple of hours of usage, and I'm not sure I would want something that will make it even warmer.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #22,679 of 149,451
The Cronos Magnum is a helluva amp! The A21 is less powerful with 8ohm speakers (250wpc) but probably about equal to Vidar monblocked with 4ohm speakers (400wpc). I've got PBN Montana Monitors that are 8ohm 100wpc that I may move into this rig, but I'm going to see how the Vidars handle my 4ohm ELAC UF-5's first. Haven't seen much feedback yet on how it works with 4ohm speakers monoblocked so I'm not sure what the chances are they can handle all of that power.
Hey, hornytoad,
have you worked out the balanced/unbalanced connnection puzzle with your Vidar at last?
no. one Vidar gets louder on
Hey, hornytoad,
have you worked out the balanced/unbalanced connnection puzzle with your Vidar at last?
no still think one Vidar gets louder with Freya and Kef ls50"S than mono. .Mono gets plenty loud so it doesnt really matter

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #22,680 of 149,451
One more EITR in the wild. Replaced the Wyrd in my office headphone stack. After the normal frustrating windows settings (JRiver is picky sometimes), I was up and running within minutes. I'm pretty amazed how much quieter it is. I'm at work so not much time for critical listening but I can say for sure it is an improvement. It's staying. I will say that the ever so slight edge to certain tracks seems to be gone now and the music in general seems to be a bit more engaging and enjoyable. Kudos to the guys for a cool little box of digital pixie dust.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back