Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 2, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #15,827 of 152,794
Jan 2, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #15,828 of 152,794
  You jest,
but I can see a scenario where Schiit really decides to go after the audio jewellery market and launches a 'Nicer Schiit' range - where the product are identical to the normal ones but cost 100% more and look 'nicer' - I bet Schiit could do some really interesting things design wise - and it'll still be far cheaper and less ugly than a Chord Dave, for example...

Jason, being the marketing maven that he is, will call the new line "The Good Schiit." 

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #15,829 of 152,794
  Nope. Neither will the one crowd impressed by the bill of materials...and the use of overpriced, exotic parts in non critical areas.

I think your statement is true based on use of the term "non-critical".

One thing that impresses me when I look in Schiit gear is the lack of exotic parts, given how well the gear sounds.  Through personal experience, I have heard the benefit of exotic parts, particularly capacitors.  I don't see those exotic caps in Schiit gear, probably because most of the gear is designed not to have caps in the signal path.

I'm still wondering if the Saga and Freya have capacitors in the signal path after the tube stage.  I guess I'll have to get out my multimeter after I receive mine and check for myself.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #15,830 of 152,794

I think your statement is true based on use of the term "non-critical".

One thing that impresses me when I look in Schiit gear is the lack of exotic parts, given how well the gear sounds.  Through personal experience, I have heard the benefit of exotic parts, particularly capacitors.  I don't see those exotic caps in Schiit gear, probably because most of the gear is designed not to have caps in the signal path.

I'm still wondering if the Saga and Freya have capacitors in the signal path after the tube stage.  I guess I'll have to get out my multimeter after I receive mine and check for myself.

Yes, I have heard the benefit of ultra high grade parts as well, but in the signal path. Their are so called experts that will convince that it matters every where but really who benefits is the manufacturers who get to mark up the parts.  

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #15,831 of 152,794
I was just given the book Schiit Happened by my wife (the "Ruthie" of "ruthieandjohn.")  I read it in just a day and a half... almost all at one sitting.

Fortunately, it was a paper copy... so much better to read than electronically.  I admit, one reason I was turning pages so fast was the promise of a special chapter by Mike Moffatt on the Yggdrasil at the end...

I was most impressed, and it was a real page turner!

I found several areas of intersection with products of my own experience (Jura Capressos, Grado headphones, fabulous margaritas).

Best of all, I treasured some of the lessons (paraphrasing one, "Don't try to get the greatest number of people to like you; strive for a few who LOVE you.")  Keep it simple.  Distribute directly. 

I found myself drawing comparisons with two other great American small companies... Grado Labs of Brooklyn, makers of fabulous headphones and phono cartritdges, and Shinola of Detroit, maker of bicycles, leather goods, turntables (recently), and headphones (soon to come), all American made.

Coincidentally, I had also gotten two top-quality portable digital audio devices, the Lotoo PAW Gold player (about $2,400 new, when you can find it), and the Chord Hugo (also about $2,400 new). 

I have had great fun comparing my $1,200 Schiit stack of Lyr 2 and Bifrost USB 2 Uber with Multibit Upgrade (say that 10 times fast!) to these two sources.  Lyr2/Bifrost are winning in sound quality so far (I credit the Bifrost DAC... in a comparison with a more expensive MHDT Stockholm DAC on a recent tour, the MHDT only bested the Bifrost when listening with the HE1000 headphones, not HD 800 or any others of my high end headphones).  Of course, the Hugo and the PAW Gold are portable rather than desktop, and are the best I've encountered of the portables.

Good Schiit!

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #15,833 of 152,794
I made mine black with a sheet of adhesive-backed flat black vinyl and an Xacto knife.  :) 

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #15,834 of 152,794
I accidently got a black Raganarok. Impossible to get a black yggdrasil..

I'm surprised some guy with access to an auto body shop hasn't started offering to paint Schiit gear in glossy colors.

Or anodize them.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #15,835 of 152,794
Jan 2, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #15,836 of 152,794

One on ebay.  Wants too much though...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schiit-Audio-Yggdrasil-Multibit-DAC-Black-finish-/262777908358?hash=item3d2ec8ac86:g:naMAAOSwA3dYUjNW

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #15,837 of 152,794
I suspect the issue to obtain Black Yggdrasil is more due to 230VAC in Norway.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #15,838 of 152,794

You could sell the black one and probably make more from the sale than you would need to buy a new silver one.  Then get a silver Yggy to match.

I don't know, I have had a crap load of black components so I kind of welcome any non-black ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back