Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #1,171 of 7,049
http://schiit.com/drivers/

If you wanted the ASIO drivers a simple Google search does the trick.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,175 of 7,049
After some light browsing it appears that the dac chips in the gungnir (ak4399) can actually do dsd.

Unfortunately the usb chip CM6631A cannot.

The interesting part is the CM6632A is dsd capable. And while I haven't studied them much, they look like pretty direct replacements.

Interesting...

P.s. sorry if this has been previously posted.

P.p.s. I'm not really interested in dsd. But some of you guys seems to be.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,177 of 7,049
http://schiit.com/drivers/

If you wanted the ASIO drivers a simple Google search does the trick.

An update for everyone: Driver downloads are now under the download tab on each product's page on the Schiit website. 

If you try the installation of the C-Media ASIO drivers that I posted about http://www.head-fi.org/t/603219/schiit-gungnir-dac/1125#post_9668371 it looks like the path to the .dll files is the same in the new Schiit_USB_1_03 driver pack. I'll try them tonight to find out if they still work fine.

After some light browsing it appears that the dac chips in the gungnir (ak4399) can actually do dsd.

The interesting part is the CM6632A is dsd capable. And while I haven't studied them much, they look like pretty direct replacements.

Interesting...

If you look at http://schiit.com/products/bifrost and click on the FAQ tab one of the question/answers is "How about DSD? We will have DSD solutions for all of our DACs in the near future."   That's interesting info on the chips. I guess adding DSD over USB will need an upgrade board rather than just a driver; but soon we might have DSD functionality for coaxial.

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,179 of 7,049
I have something weird going on with my MacBook Pro Retina and Gunginr.
The Gungnir not work when plug into the USB on the right side of the MBP.  Every other USB device works just fine there.  

The Gungnir will work on the left side port or any port on my Apple Display.

Very odd.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #1,180 of 7,049
Quote:
I can confirm that the new driver supports WASAPI event mode.

Not sure if it matters, but for the next few months I am still going to have the first USB board in my Gungnir so I hope this new driver works with the older board. Does anyone know if this is actually the case? I would love to use WASAPI event as currently to eliminate any plaback stutters I have to disable my network connection (I'm using ASIO under Win 7 as WASAPI wasn't surported before). I use JRiver 18 as my media player, and I would love to know if it is Windows or JRiver that causes the playback stutters I get when connected to the Internet. Not really a huge deal as I like to keep the machine as just a music server, but it would be nice to have the choice.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #1,181 of 7,049
I have something weird going on with my MacBook Pro Retina and Gunginr.
The Gungnir not work when plug into the USB on the right side of the MBP.  Every other USB device works just fine there.  

The Gungnir will work on the left side port or any port on my Apple Display.

Very odd.

Have you looked at what's on the same bus as your rh port? Could be something like an isight camera or something...?

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #1,182 of 7,049
Quote:

Interesting...

So is the new usb gen2 upgrade DSD compatible?
If I'm not wrong, you are saying the older usb pcb is not DSD compatible..

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #1,183 of 7,049
Quote:
I can confirm that the new driver supports WASAPI event mode.

Hmm, not sure I get what you mean...
 Can only remember that I used to run wasapi event mode and after the JRMC upgrade in ver 18.x.xx , something happened and wasapi event style no longer can be used with schiit & JRMC.
So I had switch to ASIO... till now with JRMC19. I am running in ASIO with my Teac UD501..

PS : still do  not understand what the deal about this "wasapi event style", can still run in ASIO..
maybe can clarify this...

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #1,184 of 7,049
Quote:
So is the new usb gen2 upgrade DSD compatible?
If I'm not wrong, you are saying the older usb pcb is not DSD compatible..

What I think is the case is that the DAC chip in the Gungnir is actually DSD capable but the USB input controller chip is not. But the same manufacturer who makes the USB controller chip also makes one that is DSD capable and it's at least the same physical dimensions as the one on the current board.

Please note that my understanding of all this is rather limited and I may be quite, quite wrong. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,185 of 7,049
Hmm, not sure I get what you mean...
 Can only remember that I used to run wasapi event mode and after the JRMC upgrade in ver 18.x.xx , something happened and wasapi event style no longer can be used with schiit & JRMC.
So I had switch to ASIO... till now with JRMC19. I am running in ASIO with my Teac UD501..

PS : still do  not understand what the deal about this "wasapi event style", can still run in ASIO..
maybe can clarify this...

The Schiit drivers wouldn't work with waspi event style, only the push style; but now they work with both styles. Media players like Foobar let you choose waspi event or push style. Many people prefer the event style. For the reasons behind it just google waspi event vs push. Considering which output type to use, ASIO or Waspi, just use whichever one works the best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back