Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #631 of 7,161
Quote:
 If you want an amp that really awakens the lcd 2 v2 and makes them shine you need to listen to them with the bryston balanced amp. I do own the lcd2 v2 and auditioned them in a local audio salon with the bryston and I must say I have never heard them sound tighter and when I mean tigther I mean a lot tighter and the bass was just awesome and I was only listening single ended.I can only imagine what the bryston can do with the audezes in balanced mode. If you are looking for a good partnering amp for audezes I think you should give the bryston an audition.

+1

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #632 of 7,161
Possible reasons for putting the power switch on the back (same as on my power conditioner, btw...)

1. More efficient citcuit board layout.

2. Ultimate in clean aesthetics on the front panel.

3. Easier and cheaper to punch a hole in the rear sheet metal than to machine a hole on the front aluminum.

4. Uses a more, shall we say cost-efficient switch you don't see rather than a nicer button on the front.

5. To aggravate me.

In an ideal world, Schiit would move the switch to the front (maybe on their statement gear, pretty please?) Or they could at least position the switch outboard of the power cord socket, as close to the edge of the amp/dac as possible and a bit more accessible.

All that said, I've bought their last four products so it obvously doesn't bother me that much. Just nit-picking.

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #633 of 7,161
I personally like the switch on the back!

I have my gear on the floor, and I have about 7 different things to do to fire up my system. I hard boot my Transporter by plugging it in on the back of the unit, switch the Gungnir on, switch on the preamp, throw the main rocker switch on the back of the Emotiva, push the on/standby switch on the front of the Emotiva, push the power button on my Crown sub amp. Of course, before all of this, I have to wake up my laptop and plug in the ethernet cable. Reverse order on shutdown. I kind of like the ritual!

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #634 of 7,161
The only switches I use are on a power strip for the chain, and amp switches depending on what headphones I plan to use, or no amps if I'm listening with speakers or burning in other gear. I never touch the Gungnir switch but I can totally relate to "backside switch frustration", as the preamp switch to my WA22 is on the back the and I find that frustrating.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #636 of 7,161
Quote:
Interestingly, how do u guys burn in a dac? do u let the dac>amp>headphones play music or just leave the dac running?

You can just leave the DAC on.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #637 of 7,161
Quote:
Possible reasons for putting the power switch on the back (same as on my power conditioner, btw...)

1. More efficient citcuit board layout.

2. Ultimate in clean aesthetics on the front panel.

3. Easier and cheaper to punch a hole in the rear sheet metal than to machine a hole on the front aluminum.

4. Uses a more, shall we say cost-efficient switch you don't see rather than a nicer button on the front.

5. To aggravate me.

In an ideal world, Schiit would move the switch to the front (maybe on their statement gear, pretty please?) Or they could at least position the switch outboard of the power cord socket, as close to the edge of the amp/dac as possible and a bit more accessible.

All that said, I've bought their last four products so it obvously doesn't bother me that much. Just nit-picking.

On a Power Conditioner that is very normal, since it doesn't use any energy. It's just to power off or protect all the components connected to it...

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #638 of 7,161
I really doubt power button will change it's current position on Statement DAC, since all Schiit components use the same layout...

If I buy it, I will have to find a way to insert something between the IEC and power cord...

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #640 of 7,161
Quote:
^This would be a good use for the "Clapper".

Of course, applause during live performances would then present a problem.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #642 of 7,161
BTW, I'm afraid I'm becoming a fanboy. This is four full days of being powered up continually, with about 50 hours playing time, and I'm very impressed with this DAC. Extremely musical and accurate/detailed at the same time.

It's going to be a very tough call for me as to whether to hold onto the Gungnir or to hold out for the little bun of Schiit that's in the oven. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #643 of 7,161
About USB screeches.

First, I have a Bifrost and I've never heard it do anything like that, but I can shed some light on the subject overall.

When you start and stop the data stream on a computer (which happens whenever you start or stop a track, and whenever you change the sample rate), you sometimes end up with what amounts to a little bit of bad data in the computer's buffer. When the new track starts, the computer "clears its throat" and dumps this bad data. The result is a really nasty burst of not quite white noise that sounds like a click or screech. Most DACs mute this, but sometimes a little bit manages to get by. (You have to pick a mute time: if it's too short then sometimes you hear a screech; if its too long, you bite off some of the music.) I've heard similar occasional screeches or clicks with quite a few different USB DACs. I suspect that you only hear it when the particular computer and software happens to send out a longer burst than usual, or the DAC gets "caught out" and doesn't mute like it should. Of the half dozen DACs I use often, three or four of them do it - at least occasionally......

Quote:

... it actually is a very random glitch (that only lasts a few seconds then goes away by itself) and it may never happen in weeks
(but when it happens... it's very unlikely it is only once :p )

my solution is... use optical for everything but 24-192 files :wink:

and I'm actually much more upset by Apple limiting its optical out, than with Jason or Damien

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #644 of 7,161
So I went and pulled the trigger on a Gungnir tonight.
beerchug.gif

I've had this creeping feeling that I've been too cozy with my Grace m903 and want to put it up against something new and shiny. The Grace is a fantastic all-in-one with a DAC section that I found to compare favorably to the W4S DAC2. Let's see if it can keep it's Schiit together when a new contender is placed on the rack next to it!

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #645 of 7,161
So I went and pulled the trigger on a Gungnir tonight. :beerchug:

I've had this creeping feeling that I've been too cozy with my Grace m903 and want to put it up against something new and shiny. The Grace is a fantastic all-in-one with a DAC section that I found to compare favorably to the W4S DAC2. Let's see if it can keep it's Schiit together when a new contender is placed on the rack next to it!

Should be interesting! Looking forward to your impressions. I think you will be pleased. The Gungnir has SOUL, much different than a Benchmark or Grace. At least that my prediction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back