Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 26, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #616 of 7,216
Quote:
Impressive flexibility / remote / HDMI / and soundscapes aside, how does the Gungnir stack up SQ wise with the V800 and M51.
The cost of these DACs in AU is a lot closer than in Europe. (Gungnir - $1,039, V800 - $1,193, M51 - $1,500)

Exactly. So far 2 people have posted that M51 is technically superior to the gungnir and loevhagen said that the gungnir has a more fun factor. Wat do u mean by fun factor though? Could u elaborate on that?

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #618 of 7,216
Neutral needs a reference point - or the neutral is per definition the reference. I would say that the Gungnir presents a tad more coloration than the V800 and the M51 from NAD. I.e. among these three, I would not say the Gungnir is neutral.

Coloration can often be a good thing and for many head-fiers they seek exactly the right amount of coloration. Others don't. What to prefer, is not solely up to the listerner's preferences, but also what kind of music they listen the most to. Some like the HD800. Some the LCD-2. And so one.

I would put the V800 and the M51 in the "HD800" segment - and the Gungnir in the LCD-2 segment of sound coloration. Stupid analogy - I know - but better than none.

Fun factor = the right amount of coloration = toe tapping experiences. The NAD M51, or the V800, in a combination with the right amp will of course make toe tapping happen, but for me they needs to be combined with some coloration. Cf. the V200/V800 + LCD-2 combo.

If I was allowed to keep one DAC of the V800, M51 and Gungnir: The two latter had to go. Not because they are not good. They are very good, but the V800 would be a one-stop-DAC to both the V200/LCD-2 and the Mjolnir/LCD-3 for me.

That simple. That complex. That subjective.

PostScript: I know that opinions on the internet are easily blown out of proportions, so I'll say this: I find all these 3 DACs to be very good. I like the versatility / flexibility the M51 and V800 has over the Gungnir - and that fact does not clutter my view of them sound wise.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #619 of 7,216
But do you think Gungnir is neutral?

To add to Loevhagen's assessment... I think its helpful to take a look at the other gear that a high end audio manufacturer makes and understand that there will most definitely be a certain 'house sound' to that companies kit. They work hard at that. That is their branding, their signature. It becomes what good high end companies are known for. If your sound is all over the map, audiophiles will not trust you.

If you like a good pint of Guinness for example, you expect it to taste as good when you pour it from a can, a bottle, or straight from the tap.

I dont know what Schiit's other gear sounds like, but the fact that they use tubes tells me what sort of sound the designers like, and it doesnt at all appear to be an afterthought or marketing stunt!

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #620 of 7,216
Do you think the Mjolnir/Gungnir is too much for vocals and alternative? I'm aiming for engaging yet somewhat relaxed. A bit slower decay but with adequate PRaT.

I'm aiming for balanced over SE so no V200 or Soloist.

Quote:
Neutral needs a reference point - or the neutral is per definition the reference. I would say that the Gungnir presents a tad more coloration than the V800 and the M51 from NAD. I.e. among these three, I would not say the Gungnir is neutral.

Coloration can often be a good thing and for many head-fiers they seek exactly the right amount of coloration. Others don't. What to prefer, is not solely up to the listerner's preferences, but also what kind of music they listen the most to. Some like the HD800. Some the LCD-2. And so one.

I would put the V800 and the M51 in the "HD800" segment - and the Gungnir in the LCD-2 segment of sound coloration. Stupid analogy - I know - but better than none.

Fun factor = the right amount of coloration = toe tapping experiences. The NAD M51, or the V800, in a combination with the right amp will of course make toe tapping happen, but for me they needs to be combined with some coloration. Cf. the V200/V800 + LCD-2 combo.

If I was allowed to keep one DAC of the V800, M51 and Gungnir: The two latter had to go. Not because they are not good. They are very good, but the V800 would be a one-stop-DAC to both the V200/LCD-2 and the Mjolnir/LCD-3 for me.

That simple. That complex. That subjective.

PostScript: I know that opinions on the internet are easily blown out of proportions, so I'll say this: I find all these 3 DACs to be very good. I like the versatility / flexibility the M51 and V800 has over the Gungnir - and that fact does not clutter my view of them sound wise.

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #621 of 7,216

Quote:
I'm aiming for balanced over SE so no V200 or Soloist.

First, just for the record, the V200 have both XLR and RCA inputs. The Soloist "just" RCA.

Do you think the Mjolnir/Gungnir is too much for vocals and alternative? I'm aiming for engaging yet somewhat relaxed. A bit slower decay but with adequate PRaT.

Good question. The LCD-3 have a more shy vocal presentation than e.g. the LCD-2. The rest of the LCD-3 is just spot on for me. So, in order to make the LCD-3 fit my preferences, the Mjolnir / Gungnir removes the LCD-3's vocal shyness. Perfect match.

I know you are not assessing the Soloiist, but others might - so I just want to add that the Soloist has the same ability to make the LCD-3 less shy wrt. vocals. And, the biggest difference between the Mjolnir and the Soloist is that it is impossible to fall asleep with the Mjonir - but with the Soloist that is actually possible. I.e. "relaxed" = Soloist.

Regarding PRaT; the Mjolnir/Gungnir will probably increase the level of lactic acid in your foot by far margin.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #622 of 7,216
Quote:
The power button is not on front panel, and this seems to be made to be always on...

I'm seeing a lot of companies making their products to waste the least possible energy when the component is not in use, so why not Schiit too?

At least the power button should be on front!

Not really, Mac Mini power button is at the back, and this does not mean to suggest we always have to leave the computer ON.

The reason could be just as simple as aesthetic reason.  Don't think too far guys
biggrin.gif
The world it not always as complicated as we want it to be.

I like Epica, by the way.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #623 of 7,216
It says in the manual that leaving it on won't do anything to the lifespan- other companies even go so far as to say it stabilizes the components!

Any Mac of mine rarely turns off, it always goes to bed!:D

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #624 of 7,216
Proud new owner of gungnir here! Went to A2A, did a comparison between the gungnir and the V800. The V800 i feel is technically superior than the gungnir. More detail and clarity from the V800. The gungnir has alot of detail as well but its not as crystal clear as the V800. The gungnir however is exaclty like loevhagen said, more fun. The bass has more impact and texture. Treble and mids are roughly equal but V800 wins in detail and clarity.

It should be noted I asked and I was told that the gungnir in Addicted to Audio doesnt get played as much so that might mean that alot more burn in is required.

I ran both via USB to a Schiit Lyr (because thats wat i have at home) and a pair of LCD2r1.

The V800 beats the gungnir in detail and clarity but the gungnir is no slouch either. Everything is CRYSTAL CLEAR. Reverb and depth is portrayed clearly and realistically. Very very impressive. It was an intense session for me, being constantly wowed everytime i change a track!

Ultimately, I want my music more enjoyable so I went with the gungnir (plus it matches with my Lyr in looks better) but I can definitely understand why someone would prefer the V800 over the gungnir. Both very very impressive DACs!

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #625 of 7,216
Oh, I'm actually looking for balanced output. So, if the Mjo/Gung removes LCD-3's vocal shyness, would it overwhelm the vocals on the LCD2 rev2?

I'm torn between fun and relaxing... Wish I can have both :p
Quote:

First, just for the record, the V200 have both XLR and RCA inputs. The Soloist "just" RCA.

Good question. The LCD-3 have a more shy vocal presentation than e.g. the LCD-2. The rest of the LCD-3 is just spot on for me. So, in order to make the LCD-3 fit my preferences, the Mjolnir / Gungnir removes the LCD-3's vocal shyness. Perfect match.

I know you are not assessing the Soloiist, but others might - so I just want to add that the Soloist has the same ability to make the LCD-3 less shy wrt. vocals. And, the biggest difference between the Mjolnir and the Soloist is that it is impossible to fall asleep with the Mjonir - but with the Soloist that is actually possible. I.e. "relaxed" = Soloist.

Regarding PRaT; the Mjolnir/Gungnir will probably increase the level of lactic acid in your foot by far margin.

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #626 of 7,216
Quote:
Not really, Mac Mini power button is at the back, and this does not mean to suggest we always have to leave the computer ON.

The reason could be just as simple as aesthetic reason.  Don't think too far guys
biggrin.gif
The world it not always as complicated as we want it to be.

I like Epica, by the way.

This is just my opinion, because the rear button will not be accessible for me and other people...

Oct 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #627 of 7,216
The Gungnir beats the Bifrost pretty handily when it comes to pipe-organ music. My Virgil Fox cd's always sounded anemic on the Bifrost, but the Gungnir makes them sound vibrant and powerful. With no shrillness, either.

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #628 of 7,216
Quote:

If you want an amp that really awakens the lcd 2 v2 and makes them shine you need to listen to them with the bryston balanced amp. I do own the lcd2 v2 and auditioned them in a local audio salon with the bryston and I must say I have never heard them sound tighter and when I mean tigther I mean a lot tighter and the bass was just awesome and I was only listening single ended.I can only imagine what the bryston can do with the audezes in balanced mode. If you are looking for a good partnering amp for audezes I think you should give the bryston an audition.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #629 of 7,216
Anybody have problems so far with toslink and 24bit 88khz tracks? I cant seem to get it to work in foobar with wasapi toslink to gungnir

If i use direct non wasapi, it works but thats because windows upsamples the track to 96khz (which does work with gungnir) before being sent to gungnir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back