Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 25, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #601 of 7,161
Compared MDAC and Gungnir. Detail and imaging were superior on the Gungnir. I have not heard the NAD DAC.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #602 of 7,161
Quote:
Compared MDAC and Gungnir. Detail and imaging were superior on the Gungnir. I have not heard the NAD DAC.

Anyone compared the Gungnir to the DA-160? 

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #604 of 7,161
So far with just three hours on the Gungnir I can say without a doubt that it bests a Moon 100d, a Wadia 121, and an Altmann DAC, the latter two by a large margin.

That is interesting. I would have thought the Wadia 121 would be stiff competition. Given the pedigree and all. How would you say the Gungnir bests the Wadia?

The Altman DAC performance is probably very sensitive to the quality of the digital signal. IMO, the Gungnir seems to be the least sensitive DAC I have come across when it comes to various digital inputs and sources, bit rates etc.

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #605 of 7,161
I may have overstated it a bit by saying "by a large margin." This is still a new unit with only 4 hours on it now, although I can usually tell what direction a new unit is heading.

That said, I think that the Gungnir is more textured and open than either the Wadia or the Altmann. Its bass is also tighter and weightier. I've owned the Altmann for 5 years, and although it's quite good (especially when left powered up at all times -- I use a wall wart for that purpose, and listen using 12 volt battery), the Gungnir has more micro and macro dynamics, more detail, more depth.

I thought the little Simaudio Moon 100d was quite good. The Gungnir seems like its got a similar signature, only more of the good stuff, especially a more realistic weight to instruments, which I personally find to be an important characteristic.

My system is Merlin Master VSM's and an ARS Filarmonia. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #607 of 7,161
That said, I think that the Gungnir is more textured and open than either the Wadia or the Altmann. Its bass is also tighter and weightier. I've owned the Altmann for 5 years, and although it's quite good (especially when left powered up at all times -- I use a wall wart for that purpose, and listen using 12 volt battery), the Gungnir has more micro and macro dynamics, more detail, more depth.

I thought the little Simaudio Moon 100d was quite good. The Gungnir seems like its got a similar signature, only more of the good stuff, especially a more realistic weight to instruments, which I personally find to be an important characteristic.

My system is Merlin Master VSM's and an ARS Filarmonia. 

I would have to agree. I found the same differences in comparison to my Transporter. I thought from the get go that the Transporter was a bit 'lean', but clean and well behaved. The Gungnir brings out the tubes in my preamp. Lets the tubes do their thing!:D

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #608 of 7,161
Quote:
Gungnir has StandBy? If yes, what is it's Power Consumption?

Not to be rude or anything but that's one of the most interesting question I have ever seen around here :) 

Are you afraid of getting a huge electric bill if you forget to turn it off? 

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #610 of 7,161
Ok, twelve hours, and I can say what I'm now hearing is WAY better than any of the three DACs mentioned above. In fact, it's some of the best digital I've ever heard.

BTW, using a Mac Mini, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana Plus.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #612 of 7,161
Having listened to the V800, Gungnir and the NAD M51 - the relative differences I detect when using balanced cables, LCD-3 and Mjolnir are:

The M51 (compared to the Gungnir) portrays a cleaner  - and most important difference; an impressive coherent soundscape. I would underpin the latter. It is on the other hand twice the price, but I would say that is first and foremost due to the M51's impressive flexibility / remote / HDMI, etc. The Gungnir on the other hand has a sound signature that I would say is more tilted to the fun factor.

At this level there is no "best". They are all very capable DACs, bit there are differences.

Bottom-line: Want fun and party factor? Go for Gungnir. Want a sound that is every thing else? Go for NAD M51 (or V800). 

These are relative descriptions and the Gungnir is really good - but not as true to the soundscape as M51 and V800. IMHO.

Does all this mean that I use the M51 daily in the head-fi rig? No. It is doing a good job as DAC / pre combo to a set of active Dynaudio Focus 110A speakers at the televison corner of the living room. "Best" is not always de facto best. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #614 of 7,161
Quote:
Not to be rude or anything but that's one of the most interesting question I have ever seen around here :) 

Are you afraid of getting a huge electric bill if you forget to turn it off? 

The power button is not on front panel, and this seems to be made to be always on...

I'm seeing a lot of companies making their products to waste the least possible energy when the component is not in use, so why not Schiit too?

At least the power button should be on front!

Glad to see you are a Dream Theater fan! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back