Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #542 of 7,050
Maybe Jason could clear that up - I though I understood the difference, but now that I think about it... I dont!

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #543 of 7,050
The reason there's often confusion about this is because there's no functional difference what happens in a DAC that uses oversampling + a digital filter and the process of synchronous upsampling, which may also be performed in an external box, like a computer. When most people use the term "upsampling", they're usually referring to asynchronous upsampling using a sample rate converter. The Gungnir does not do that, and it's fairly clear from their website that Schiit's design philosophy is opposed to asynchronous sample rate conversion.

If this is confusing, make it simpler by just asking whether a DAC incorporates a digital filter or not. NOS DACs do not use digital filters.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #544 of 7,050
It's OVERsampling, but not UPsampling.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #546 of 7,050
Both oversampling and upsampling are sample rate conversions, just different in implementation.

Oversampling is done via hardware, upsampling is done in both software and hardware.

Oversampling multiplies the original sample rate by integers x2, x16 for example.
Upsampling stretches the sample rate.

Correct me if I'm mistaken here.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #547 of 7,050
Big difference is oversampling fills in the spaces but retains the original samples.  Upsampling throws out the entire sample and builds a new stream.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #548 of 7,050
I'm guessing one of those is supposed to be different.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #550 of 7,050
Quote:
Big difference is oversampling fills in the spaces but retains the original samples.  [Upsampling] throws out the entire sample and builds a new stream.

Yes, this is a really nice and concise way of putting it.

(Note that synchronous upsampling, such as what you get by upsampling in a player like Foobar, doesn't always retain the original samples, because depending on the ratio of input to output sample rate you need two filters in a particular ratio. But it's still the same thing in spirit. Asynchronous upsamplers rebuild the sample stream based on a continously varying series of filter coefficients.)

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #552 of 7,050
Quote:
Big difference is oversampling fills in the spaces but retains the original samples.  Upsampling throws out the entire sample and builds a new stream.

Thanks, Solude!

From the Schiit web site:
I heard about this fancy new upsampling stuff, where they take 16/44.1 and magically make it into 24/192. Does your DAC do that?
Not just no but hell no. None of our DACs will ever do sample rate conversion. Our goal is to perfectly reproduce the original music samples, not to throw them away and turn everything into a mystery-meat soufflé. Sample rate conversion destroys all the original samples. What goes in isn’t what comes out.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #553 of 7,050
Have there been any comparisons with the Gungnir to other dacs in around the 1k price range? I know it's still fairly new but just wondering. I'm contemplating getting a balanced dac and probably a usb to spdif since I'd rather not pay for usb esp if I may try different dacs where some do not have usb.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #554 of 7,050
I compared it to the Audiolab MDAC a page or three ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back