Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #422 of 7,049
Quote:
Most agreed the highs were somewhat smeared on the MDAC and that detail overall was just not as good. People were also complaining about the volume knob not responding correctly to input. It's a digital volume control so the knob is there mostly for show and it was working oddly for sure. Turn it slightly and it jumps up in volume, turn it a lot and nothing happens, etc. Typical digital volume from a knob.

What transport was used to compare the DACs? Thank you.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #423 of 7,049
--double post-- 

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #424 of 7,049
Quote:
Audiolab has always been Schiit like in delivering high value, no nonsense products so its not surprising that the two are neck and neck.

Plus the fact that both brands share a similar lean and detailed sound signature.
OK, maybe the new king goes deeper.....

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #425 of 7,049
I wouldnt call the Gungnir sound lean.

In comparison my Transporter is for sure lean sounding. I'm not surprised about that though. I have known for awhile the Transporter was lean, thats why adding tubes to the preamp was a big help. My old MSB is also meatier and has better timber than the Transporter. I think that has to do with op amps or lack there of.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #426 of 7,049
At the end of this week, I should have my Gungnjir to pair with my Mjolnir.  I'll be using a Q cable for the LCD-2.2s and a Lifatec optical cable from my computer.

I've heard the HD-800 from the Gungnir / Mjolnir is a great match up and now am wondering if any one has experience with those two that can do a comparison to hold me over until I'm able to afford the cables for the HD-800s.  Basically, I'm wondering how the LCD-2.2s vs the HD-800s sound coming out of the Schiit stack.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #429 of 7,049
As you found my amp review you'll see my comments on the difference in dacs.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #430 of 7,049
Guys, im thinking of getting the gungnir in 2 weeks but i need to ask about the cables i should use for these. My desktop has toslink so ill be looking for one to connect between the gungnir and desktop. Can anyone recommend me a decent toslink cable that doesnt break the bank?

Whats important here isnt top performance but more bang for buck. Ideally it will be below $100. Can anyone pls give me suggestions? Thanks :)

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #431 of 7,049
Can anyone recommend me a decent toslink cable that doesnt break the bank?

Whats important here isnt top performance but more bang for buck. Ideally it will be below $100. Can anyone pls give me suggestions? Thanks :)

I like the glass ones myself. I dont know why, I just sleep better knowing I have them. You can get them online. Pretty cheap. I dont think it matters, quite frankly with optical. Its like ethernet - packets. I havent noticed a difference in sound. Coax is another story.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #432 of 7,049
Guys, im thinking of getting the gungnir in 2 weeks but i need to ask about the cables i should use for these. My desktop has toslink so ill be looking for one to connect between the gungnir and desktop. Can anyone recommend me a decent toslink cable that doesnt break the bank?

I bought the silver jacketed one from monoprice. I think it was like $8. Works great for me.

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #434 of 7,049
So, about the screeching problem: I had the issue with my Bifrost when using Audirvana and while watching a movie with mplayer.  I emailed Schiit and Jason said it was probably the cable.  I tried a couple of different USB cables, and one of them, which was certified 2.0, seemed to work better.

This was last weekend.  I've since sold it and purchased a Gungnir.  I hope the issue doesn't come back; I have a decent number of 192khz files, I hate using Windows, Amarra is too pricey, and I don't even know where to begin if it's happening with mplayer as well as Audirvana.

May be time for another optical transport... but I ordered Gungnir with USB, so that's not ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back