Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #242 of 7,049
No, that'll give me more reason to wait for the statement... remember, I was thinking NAD M51.... as the final point for my DAC... So the Statement will be the way to go.

If the Gungnir is heads above the 804c, then maybe I will think about it and sell it as soon as the Statement is available.  :)

I still think the 840c will be pretty darn close... all the reviews on the differences of the Gungnir over the BiFrost is basically what I noticed with the 840c over the Bifrost... so I'm thinking these will be pretty similar with hopefully the better going towards the Gungnir.  Which it should since the 840c is already 3 years old.  :wink:

Can't wait for tomorrow to hear it!!!

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #243 of 7,049
Ha! (again)
Then just get the Nad & let us have an old fashion shoot out! 
wink_face.gif

Because that is the referance point now that many of us want the answer to.
Gungnir vs M51.
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #244 of 7,049
Quote:
Ha! (again)
Then just get the Nad & let us have an old fashion shoot out! 
wink_face.gif

Because that is the referance point now that many of us want the answer to.
Gungnir vs M51.
beerchug.gif

Someone answer the challenge!!!!

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #245 of 7,049
Pulled the trigger on the Gungnir today. I feel good about it. I dont buy kit very often. I have had my Maggie MMG's, Squeezebox Transporter, Bottlehead Preamp for years. I even have an old MSB Link DAC lll in service, running optical off the Transporter. I'm also really happy to be buying great American audio kit. ****, we do it right when it comes to audio! (pun intended).

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #246 of 7,049
Just popping in to say that I've had my Gungnir since last Thursday and have NOT been able to pull myself away from my system. I've been neglecting all my daily chores -- my house is a mess, dishes piling up in the sink, trash can is overflowing, my plants are all withering, and I forgot to eat dinner on Sunday night. True story. 

The bass does jump out on first impression. It's big, bad and feels almost deviant. Not sure I'd describe the low-frequencies as boosted, though. It's just very clean, defined and dynamic. It's a lack of congestion in the way the Gungnir renders music that lets bass lines stand out without being buried by the rest of the spectrum. It conveys a great sense of PRaT and musicality, so it's almost no wonder that the bass is what leaps out at me as I groove along. This helps lend a great sense of body and weight to the music as well.

Another quality I love is the way it renders detail without that digital hardness (Bifrost did this well too, from what I remember). There is nothing clinical about the way the Gungnir sounds. It passes my "does a muted trumpet with the HD800 induce pain" test. Cymbals decay naturally without overstaying their welcome. Everything seems natural and effortless. 

And lastly, spatiality is great. It feels open and uncluttered -- each element in the music is well-defined and has space to breathe. I have yet to get the feeling that an instrument is stacked on top of another (even on my Grados). 

So far so good. I'll reserve any criticisms for when I get more accustomed to its qualities. I wish I had more experience with high-end DACs to compare to for you all, but not sure if that'll help anyway because so far this DAC has not been conducive to critical listening (and that's a good thing). I haven't gushed on about a new purchase of mine in a while, but feel compelled to share how much I'm enjoying my Gungnir.

TL:DR, in conclusion, Jason killed my plants. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #247 of 7,049
Thanks for the impressions QH. The comparison to the Bifrost is very encouraging. Your setup is enviable and looks complete. If the Gungnir lives up to these accolades I may very well be done myself as well.

edit: just got notification my Gungnir has shipped. Should be here tomorrow. Finally!

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #249 of 7,049
That'd be an awesome to do a shoot out like that!!!!

Unfortunately, I don't want to get the M51 if the Statement is going to be the same or better...  :wink:

So I don't know if that'll happen...but if I come into some more money (still paying off the 802D2s)... then you know I'll be willing to do the shoot out of any and the M51!  :D

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #250 of 7,049
[size=medium]I am not well informed with regards to the M51, but I really do not think using it as a bench mark is unfair.[/size]

[size=medium]Consider that it is packed with a bunch of features like volume control, a slew of extra channels & did not they have to absorb some licensing costs, too? What I am getting at is, if you subtract the cost of all the other fluff from the NAD & simply compare the 2ch DAC performance, it may not be that big of stretch. [/size]

[size=medium]I would not expect the Gungnir to dominate the M51, but I do hope it has nothing to be ashamed of in a fair head-to-head comparison. [/size]

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #251 of 7,049
Are there any indications that the Statement dac will have HDMI inputs? That's one reason I've lusted for the Nad for a while as I can pretty much hook all of my components into it simultaneously.

-Daniel

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #253 of 7,049
Questhate - thanks for the mini review!

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #254 of 7,049
Quote:
Thanks for the impressions QH. The comparison to the Bifrost is very encouraging. Your setup is enviable and looks complete. If the Gungnir lives up to these accolades I may very well be done myself as well.

edit: just got notification my Gungnir has shipped. Should be here tomorrow. Finally!

No prob. I know impressions are fairly limited without comparisons to other references/bechmarks because of the subjectivity of this hobby -- but I've been so smitten with what the Gungnir has brought to my setup that I had to sing its praises. I can't definitively say right now that it has more resolution than DAC X or throws a wider soundstage than DAC Y or has better spatial cues than DAC Z. But after days of intense listening, nothing seemed odd, weird, out-of-place, or jars me back to reality. It hasn't committed any major flaws. Quite the opposite actually, as I'm finding it very involving and musical.

I'd like to compare it to DACs that local Head-Fi'ers here have in the near future though, just to get more comparative impressions out there. Don't think anyone I know here has the M51 though. 

And I listened to your exact setup at the Schiit table at the meet a month ago. I'd have no problem riding off into the sunset with that. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back