Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #16 of 7,050
The price in Norway is apparently radically different. I'll pay 1300ish usd for the M51 in Norway with my discount. 

The Gungnir is 850 with usb, plus 150ish usd shipping we're talking 1k. Then I have to add 25% tax taking it into Norway. Oh lord, what a gimpy country I live in ... 

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 7,050
That is radically different
cool.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #18 of 7,050
I like how quickly we are to assume this Schiit unit will be in the same league as the NAD M51, which by all accounts is one of the best (affordable) dacs out there right now. I won't rehash the Asgard incident but I have some serious doubts about the Schiit designers and their attention to detail. I mean, it could be an amazing dac. But let's not automatically assume so. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 7,050
Early impressions on the Mjolnir appear favorable, and Schitt is delayed 1 – 2 weeks on current orders. Could this be foretelling delays for the Gungnir release date? I have heard nothing on the status of the new DAC.

I am on the pre-order list & my Bifrost will be on the used market the second the Gungnir hits my doorstep. Realistically, I am hoping it ships by mid to late Sept. I will not be upset in the least though. My Bifrost recently went up against my best friend’s CA 840 CDp & his new B&W 802di’s.  Keep in mind the finite detail & resolution provide by the B&W’s brings V small differences between sources into clear view. Minor variances would be V difficult to decern in lesser systems.

Quote from my friend;
I had Bill’s Bifrost hooked up in my system for a day and I’d say it’s about 85% of my Cambridge Audio 840c as a DAC. It’s so similar that when I’d go back and forth while the same song was playing (had both outputted at the same time from the computer so all I did was change inputs on the Pre) that I was easily able to tell where the differences were. The CA 840c just had a slightly better soundstage and focus and was like a “snapping” of everything in focus over the BiFrost. This is on the minute scale mind you, sort of that lifting of a veil over to speakers type of thing.

I told Bill I’m very impressed that BiFrost (for the cost) is almost everything my 804c is at 3x the price of it!?!? Pretty cool. In Fact, I’m waiting to see if the new Schiit dac is either better than my 840c, or the Schiit Statement DAC is better (guessing it will be) and I’m going to move to that. If not, then I’ll probably drop the money on a new NAD M51 DAC since everyone says there’s none better under $5k or possibly $10k…”

So whenever the Gungnir makes its debut is fine with me, I can easily live with my Bifrost till then.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #20 of 7,050
For me it comes down to how the Mjolnir performs.  If its great, like beats everything that came before it great, then I'll get a Gungnir too.  If its simply another $750 amp in a long line of competent amps in that range... then no the Gungnir won't come in and I'll wait for the 'statement' gear to release.  My hope is that they are world beaters, but until I hear it... meh.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #21 of 7,050
For me it comes down to how the Mjolnir performs.  If its great, like beats everything that came before it great, then I'll get a Gungnir too.  If its simply another $750 amp in a long line of competent amps in that range... then no the Gungnir won't come in and I'll wait for the 'statement' gear to release.  My hope is that they are world beaters, but until I hear it... meh.

I will do the other way around though your decision makes more sense but I am more in need of another dac (flavour) than amp.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #27 of 7,050
Quote:
Do they mean that I will have to wait for a longer time after that very short pre order period?

I believe they're trying not to be backordered as badly as in the past. With Mjolnir they seemed to barely stay ahead, same idea here.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #28 of 7,050
It would be nice to have some details re the statement DAC's features and price point before deciding on the Gungnir.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #29 of 7,050
Quote:
It would be nice to have some details re the statement DAC's features and price point before deciding on the Gungnir.

+1 I think pricing is the only relative info we've gotten, which is around $1400 or so. But anything is subject to change.

Edit: Maybe this states all the difference. " Even though the statement stuff will redefine everything, and will have technology not available elsewhere, at any price."

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #30 of 7,050
Quote:
Do they mean that I will have to wait for a longer time after that very short pre order period?

[size=medium]IIRC, there were a set # of pre-orders being accepted.[/size]

[size=medium]If you signed up on the pre-order list, you will have a limited opportunity to place your order.[/size]
[size=medium]I’m guessing at the end of the pre-order time period, all other orders will be accepted in chronological order. [/size]

[size=medium]So in answer to your question, I guess we will get our Gungnirs about the time Helheim freezes over.  ; )[/size]

[size=medium](edit in italics)[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back