Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 17, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #6,901 of 7,068
I'm a Gumby Unison owner trying to playback DOP via the Coax input. I was told that as long as the DAC supports 24/176.4 it should because the DAC believes it's simply PCM. So far no joy. Any ideas as to what am I missing?

USB.

IIRC, DOP only works over USB.

:beerchug:
JC

edit: and, of course, the DAC must be capable of using DSD once it's decoded. Schiit DACs are not.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #6,902 of 7,068
Thanks for the reply. DOP does work over AES or Coax SPDIF but you are correct that the DAC needs to ultimately decode it.

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #6,903 of 7,068
Coming up: @Cat Whisperer Bob coming over on the 21st with his Muscian Pegasus - will report the head-to-head with the Gumby (A1 Unison) - Coax only. He's also bringing an A70 amp and HEX Stealth to join my stuff.

Fanclub comments: Had up a massive vinyl collection and superb vinyl playback after putting the Gumby through a 1k cut faceoff vs my rig in 2016. It was better to me than the OG Yggy, the legendary Krell 20i ($9k), and Sony XA7ES.. The DAVE and recent flavors of Yggy are the only ones that top it in my experience and they cost more, or a lot more.
OK, I compared the Pegasus and Gumby on the HEK Stealth, HE-6 SE, HE-500, and HD-600 for about 3.5 hrs. I have impressions, but I'd need more time to give a comprehensive review. 1/2 time on CD, 1/2 on 24/48. All on COAX. Female vocals, fusion jazz mostly.

The timbre of each was very close I thought. Things seemed a hair smaller in size on the Pegasus, but also perhaps more focused. The Pegasus had a wider stage, but it seemed a bit shorter. The depth of Gumby seemed a bit more. I forgot about the NOS switch until nearly the end of the session. It did seem a bit warmer sounding but I'd need more time to really be able to characterize it.

The thing I listened for the most was trailing notes/overtones and they were so close - doubt on that basis I could tell them apart in a blind.

Pegasus is better than the BF2 or non MB Gungnir based on memory. I wouldn't trade my Gumby A1 w/ Unison (or Gen 5) for it. But if I had to buy a new DAC, a new Pegasus would be on the short list to audition.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #6,904 of 7,068
OK, I compared the Pegasus and Gumby on the HEK Stealth, HE-6 SE, HE-500, and HD-600 for about 3.5 hrs. I have impressions, but I'd need more time to give a comprehensive review. 1/2 time on CD, 1/2 on 24/48. All on COAX. Female vocals, fusion jazz mostly.

The timbre of each was very close I thought. Things seemed a hair smaller in size on the Pegasus, but also perhaps more focused. The Pegasus had a wider stage, but it seemed a bit shorter. The depth of Gumby seemed a bit more. I forgot about the NOS switch until nearly the end of the session. It did seem a bit warmer sounding but I'd need more time to really be able to characterize it.

The thing I listened for the most was trailing notes/overtones and they were so close - doubt on that basis I could tell them apart in a blind.

Pegasus is better than the BF2 or non MB Gungnir based on memory. I wouldn't trade my Gumby A1 w/ Unison (or Gen 5) for it. But if I had to buy a new DAC, a new Pegasus would be on the short list to audition.
I will be checking out the NOS functionality on the Pegasus to see if it makes a tangible difference. We ran the Pegasus through the Ragnarock and the combo had loads of power AND sounded great 😊. I don’t think you can ask for more.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #6,905 of 7,068
FIY if your wondering what analog board your Gungnir has-use the automated SCHIIT TALKER.
Enter your serial number and was what analog board is installed quick and easy.
for example C060310-A1 version for mine.
Here is the text provided:

"According to the sacred texts, the Gungnir with the serial number C060310 was produced on a date that only the Schiit gods themselves know. As for the analog board version, it is equipped with the A1 analog board. The A1 board is renowned for its exceptional performance and audio quality, ensuring that your Gungnir delivers the true Schiit experience. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, I'm here to serve as your guide through the realm of Schiit. Embrace the Schiit and let it guide your audio journey!"

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #6,906 of 7,068
I own both (A1 & A2) -- can barely tell them apart from an A/B. My pre-amp allows me to switch DACs with a button click. And I can split the optical out from my mScaler to feed both simultaneously. So literally, the only thing that changes is the DAC (even the same analog cables from DAC to pre-amp).

I'm 'headphones-only', so there may be differences 2-channel listeners hear that I miss, but that is more likely to be imaging (your holography), not tonality (your dry/brittle/stiff). I certainly don't hear a significant bright/dark difference.

(amusingly, the reason I own both is that I got the A2, liked it, succumbed to curiosity, found a good deal on an A1, and now can't decide which I prefer so I can sell the other)
Yep-agreed that the whole "a1" vs A2 was way over blown "audio hype". I have heard both versions-IMHO most would be hard pressed to hear the differences.
Great I guess if you have a A1 for sale-the hype will get you a few extra $$. Enjoy you now rare Gungnir-A1 or A2. Don't let someone's biased/inaccurate opinion of you dac make you hear things that simply aren't there.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #6,907 of 7,068
Yep-agreed that the whole "a1" vs A2 was way over blown "audio hype". I have heard both versions-IMHO most would be hard pressed to hear the differences.
Great I guess if you have a A1 for sale-the hype will get you a few extra $$. Enjoy you now rare Gungnir-A1 or A2. Don't let someone's biased/inaccurate opinion of you dac make you hear things that simply aren't there.
Cheers!

Both Gumbys are gone now (for a couple years now) in favor of an mScaler/TT2 combo.

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #6,909 of 7,068
Got my new DAC in. First impressions:
Power switch also on back. :)
Naim has a more aggressive drive you know PRAT. Probably a little more detail.

I think in the end Yggy is probably the more appropriate comparison.

So I think this will be interesting.

Dec 3, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #6,913 of 7,068
I remember Jason saying It made no real world difference to drop it. Can't say I remember what it actually did.
IIRC it effectively meant 'Buy Better Gear' ... referring to the item connected to the GUNGNIR.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #6,914 of 7,068
Sorry-I remember VXCO!
Correct, the last revision of Gungnir was without VCXO oscillators used in the Adapticlock system.
The VCXO (Voltage Controlled Crystal Oscillator) consist of a crystal oscillator, and have a higher stability and lower phase noise than VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator) which is an electronic oscillator controlled by a DC control voltage.

IIRC it effectively meant 'Buy Better Gear' ... referring to the item connected to the GUNGNIR.
Yep, if the input is off-frequency or high jitter, and Gungnir cannot provide maximum clock regeneration the BBG light would come on and the VCO/VCXO would reclock the data for you.

With the quality of audio streaming (particularly over USB) improving significantly in the past decade the cost/benefit of having an onboard VCXO likely didn't make sense on the Gungnir since it was hitting its production end of life.

That said, I still absolutely love the sound my Gungnir provides me and may yet get the USB upgraded to Unison (mostly for the 2-year warranty extension). Currently feed it through BNC from a DDC and it sounds sublime :)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #6,915 of 7,068

That said, I still absolutely love the sound my Gungnir provides me and may yet get the USB upgraded to Unison (mostly for the 2-year warranty extension). Currently feed it through BNC from a DDC and it sounds sublime :)
Yeah, BNC out from a Bryston BDP-1 (not the USB one) was fan'f'ing-tastic. Nowadays, a lot of Pi-based systems would be equivalent to that Bryston without the BNC.

I've said before, I wish the world had gone BNC instead of RCA...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back