Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 28, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #6,886 of 7,068
Most people are happy with 128kbs commercialized Spotify so I doubt you are getting a "gimped" version. I have 2x Gungnir multibits now, 1 for the desktop that sees some 24bit songs and 1 for the CD player. Even the CDs I have are probably not reaching 16 bits.

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #6,887 of 7,068
... Gungnir's 4x AD5781BRUZ are spec'd as 18-bit DAC chips ...
Is this 18b per chip so together the whole system is 19 or 20b? Or is the 18b after combining the DAC chips?

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #6,889 of 7,068
Is this 18b per chip so together the whole system is 19 or 20b? Or is the 18b after combining the DAC chips?

Whenever it is stated that a 16-bit or 18-bit R2R-type DAC achieves a 20 bit or higher 'level of performance' or 'resolution', it is always referring to the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) that is achieved by the DAC. In theory, 1 bit (at 44.1kHz sample rate) is equivalent to 6dB of SNR. So in theory, 16 bits = 96dB SNR, 20 bits = 120dB SNR, 24 bits = 144dB SNR, etc. But by using some clever digital tricks (like dither), it's possible for a DAC that uses 16 or 18-bit chips to achieve a much higher SNR performance than what should theoretically be possible.

But make no mistake, a 16 or 18-bit DAC chip is still hard limited to processing data at 16 or 18 bits, regardless of how many of the same chips are used.

But just based on how good the 16-bit Bifrost 2/64 (and Yggy LIM) and the 18-bit Gungnir MB sound, the amount of bits the DAC operates at is only a small factor in the grand scheme of making a great sounding DAC.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #6,890 of 7,068
But make no mistake, a 16 or 18bit DAC chip is still hard limited to processing data at 16 or 18bits, regardless of how many of the same chips are used.
That contradicts something Mike Moffat (Baldr) said:
Two phase halves summed yield an extra 6 db (1 Bit) of resolution.

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #6,891 of 7,068
The word 'resolution' is a bit misleading here.

What Mike is referring to is that by using a hardware balanced circuit design (1 DAC chip per positive and negative phase per channel = 4 DAC chips) in the Yggdrasil (and also in the Gungnir MB and Bifrost 2/64), it will yield an additional 6dB of SNR over using a more common unbalanced (aka single-ended) circuit design (1 DAC chip per channel = 2 DAC chips).

The terms 'signal-to-noise ratio' and 'resolution' can be used interchangeably in this context. So what Mike means is that by using a hardware balanced circuit design in the Yggy, instead of being limited to the theoretical maximum of 120dB SNR (20 bits) of 'resolution', he was able to gain an extra 6dB of SNR, which would give the Yggy a 126dB SNR or the equivalent of 21 bits of 'resolution'.

And this is what makes Mike and Jason laugh about DAC chips that claim to be 32-bit designs. While they may operate internally at 32 bits (but are all delta-sigma), their SNR maxes out at around 130dB, which means their real-world SNR is almost never more than the equivalent of 22 bits of 'resolution'. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #6,892 of 7,068
I recently acquired a Gumby, it is a 0 prefix serial number with unison card. I have no idea what other boards are in the unit but I must say I am impressed. My other 2 dacs are the Bryston BDA1 and the Nad M51 and over optical the Gumby is really the most musical of the three units. It's just enjoyable to listen with and sounds natural, you just kinda stop listening for aything and just enjoy. I think you would have to spend significantly more to get better sound and might require better associated hardware to appreciate it. I have not put it through a headphone rig yet, but assume I would be just as happy. The only thing that concerns me is the unit runs much warmer than either of my other dacs. I hope it lasts a long time.

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #6,893 of 7,068
The only thing that concerns me is the unit runs much warmer than either of my other dacs. I hope it lasts a long time.
I've had mine since 2017 and it's been powered on 24/7 most of the time. No problems with longevity !

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #6,894 of 7,068
I recently acquired a Gumby, it is a 0 prefix serial number with unison card. I have no idea what other boards are in the unit but I must say I am impressed. My other 2 dacs are the Bryston BDA1 and the Nad M51 and over optical the Gumby is really the most musical of the three units. It's just enjoyable to listen with and sounds natural, you just kinda stop listening for aything and just enjoy. I think you would have to spend significantly more to get better sound and might require better associated hardware to appreciate it. I have not put it through a headphone rig yet, but assume I would be just as happy. The only thing that concerns me is the unit runs much warmer than either of my other dacs. I hope it lasts a long time.
Coming up: @Cat Whisperer Bob coming over on the 21st with his Muscian Pegasus - will report the head-to-head with the Gumby (A1 Unison) - Coax only. He's also bringing an A70 amp and HEX Stealth to join my stuff.

Fanclub comments: Had up a massive vinyl collection and superb vinyl playback after putting the Gumby through a 1k cut faceoff vs my rig in 2016. It was better to me than the OG Yggy, the legendary Krell 20i ($9k), and Sony XA7ES.. The DAVE and recent flavors of Yggy are the only ones that top it in my experience and they cost more, or a lot more.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #6,896 of 7,068

My OG Gumby has been running 24/7 since August 2015 (except for a few power outages).

:beerchug:
JC

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #6,897 of 7,068
I recently acquired a Gumby, it is a 0 prefix serial number with unison card. I have no idea what other boards are in the unit but I must say I am impressed. My other 2 dacs are the Bryston BDA1 and the Nad M51 and over optical the Gumby is really the most musical of the three units. It's just enjoyable to listen with and sounds natural, you just kinda stop listening for aything and just enjoy.
Yeah, it was pretty much the same for me. Even when compared to an OG Bifrost 2, the Gumby was just on a whole 'nother level. :beyersmile:

The Gumby is the first DAC I've owned that genuinely makes me believe that I'm no longer listening to a digital device, but something that sounds much more like a great vinyl playback rig or even a reel-to-reel tape machine (and yes, I've had experience listening to both).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #6,898 of 7,068
The Gumby made me want to listen to music again for hours and hours and...

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #6,899 of 7,068
Happened again to me again. Put my Rogue Audio Tube amp back in my system.
Pi2AES-lite card to Gumby A1 optical to Cronus Magnum.

Listen for day. Pack up turntable because Gumby is so good I don’t need it. I only have a few records and the fiddling around necessary to listen to them is not worth it.

Gumby plus tube integrated is pure musical fun.

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #6,900 of 7,068
I'm a Gumby Unison owner trying to playback DOP via the Coax input. I was told that as long as the DAC supports 24/176.4 it should because the DAC believes it's simply PCM. So far no joy. Any ideas as to what am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back