Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jun 24, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #5,838 of 7,052
I didn't get a response from that link ...
Hmm. OK, it is just a Head Fi search for the phrase "closed form" posted by Baldr on any subforum. You can enter those terms in the search function from any forum page.

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #5,839 of 7,052
I haven't compared directly, the Gumby is a balanced design and slightly more resolving than Bimby, which is SE only.
If you don't need (or want) balanced then Bimby should be fine ... I've read a lot of great impressions as well.
Both are upgradable, which is key.

I would be interested in the answer you get from Laura at Schiit. This seems too complicated.

I had direct contact with Schiit: "unfortunately we are extremely low in stock of the Gungnir Multibit. It is very possible a new order would be delayed by a couple weeks."

Oh well I'll just have to wait and be patient. Thought about a Bimby but apart from sound quality a Gumby also offers a bit more flexibility with the BNC in and two SE and a XLR out. Very friendly customer service though!

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #5,840 of 7,052
The job of a DAC is to take in digital audio and convert it into analog audio - and there are several different ways of going about this.
Think of it like the differences between carburetors and fuel injection - or gasoline cars and electric cars - except that the differences aren't nearly as obvious with DACs.
As it so happens, multi-bit DACs are the older technology, while most modern designs are Delta-Sigma.
Also, as it happens, it's more difficult to design a multi-bit DAC that has good specifications (by modern standards).
(That's the main reason WHY most modern DACs are D-S DACs.)
However, some people are quite convinced that one or the other sounds distinctly better.
(In theory, if all DACs were perfect, then the result would be exactly the same - a perfect analog version of the digital source.)
However, nothing in the real world is actually perfect, and multi-bit DACs and D-S DACs have different strengths and weaknesses.

It's not actually proper to say that "a DAC has been made into a multi-bit DAC".
It would be more correct to phrase that as "they have chosen to use multi-bit DAC chips rather than Delta-Sigma DAC chips in some of their products".
In this case, they have multiple versions of certain products, each using one or the other sort of circuitry to do its job.

(As a listener, you're best not trying to figure out how each works, and trying to imagine how that would make it sound, and just listening to how it does sound.)

QUOTE="ruthieandjohn, post: 15026258, member: 389352"]I do have a background in signal processing (e.g. author of the Prentice-Hall textbook “Real Time Signal Processing.”). However, I do not understand what Schiit has done to create the Multibit version of their DACs.

In other words, I don’t know Schiit.

Maybe the answer is in “Schitt Happened.”

If I read it, then maybe I WILL know Schiit.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #5,841 of 7,052
Oh well I'll just have to wait and be patient. Thought about a Bimby but apart from sound quality a Gumby also offers a bit more flexibility with the BNC in and two SE and a XLR out. Very friendly customer service though!

It will be worth the wait, Robert :)

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #5,842 of 7,052
What I'd like to see is the 1914 patent (paper?) that @Baldr references every once in a while. I've searched for it but couldn't find it.

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #5,843 of 7,052
What I'd like to see is the 1914 patent (paper?) that @Baldr references every once in a while. I've searched for it but couldn't find it.
It's a Bell Telephone Labs paper on time-domain and frequency alignment published in 1917. I don't know if it is scanned and available on line.

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #5,844 of 7,052
It's a Bell Telephone Labs paper on time-domain and frequency alignment published in 1917. I don't know if it is scanned and available on line.
What?! I thought all human knowledge was on the 'Net. Oh, No! you've shattered my faith in google! :wink:

I suppose next you'll be telling me that all those pictures of Bigfoot that google finds are fake, too?

Jun 25, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #5,845 of 7,052
What?! I thought all human knowledge was on the 'Net. Oh, No! you've shattered my faith in google! :wink:

I suppose next you'll be telling me that all those pictures of Bigfoot that google finds are fake, too?
That might be a step too far. :ksc75smile: Nessie, though, that's fake for sure.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #5,847 of 7,052
The main reason that Delta-Sigma DACs have almost entirely replaced R2R DACs is that, in almost all applications, they deliver much better measured performance, at much lower cost.
(The exception is pretty much limited to video and high-speed measurement applications where speed is more important than good linearity over a wide range.)

There is no conspiracy to sell people horribly bad DACs because they're cheap.
However, there is always a general pressure to deliver products with better performance at lower cost.
In general, at any price point, Delta-Sigma DACs deliver lower THD, lower noise, and better linearity than R2R DACs.
(And these are the performance specs that DAC designers and vendors, as well as most audiophiles, usually consider to be the most important.)

Of course, as usual, some audiophiles prefer to discount these specs, and look for other characteristics that they consider more important.

That i$n't the main rea$on.

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #5,848 of 7,052
The main reason that Delta-Sigma DACs have almost entirely replaced R2R DACs is that, in almost all applications, they deliver much better measured performance, at much lower cost.
(The exception is pretty much limited to video and high-speed measurement applications where speed is more important than good linearity over a wide range.)

There is no conspiracy to sell people horribly bad DACs because they're cheap.
However, there is always a general pressure to deliver products with better performance at lower cost.
In general, at any price point, Delta-Sigma DACs deliver lower THD, lower noise, and better linearity than R2R DACs.
(And these are the performance specs that DAC designers and vendors, as well as most audiophiles, usually consider to be the most important.)

Of course, as usual, some audiophiles prefer to discount these specs, and look for other characteristics that they consider more important.

Keith, can you provide a few examples of coveted Delta-Signa DACs?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #5,849 of 7,052
Keith, can you provide a few examples of coveted Delta-Signa days?
This question is a rabbit hole. We ARE in Delta-Sigma days. The best measuring (and sounding) DACs I know of are all DS currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back