Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jun 20, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #5,821 of 7,049
What is the actual change that renders a Gungnir to become “Multibit?”

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #5,822 of 7,049
Jun 21, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #5,823 of 7,049
Jun 24, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #5,825 of 7,049
No luck find a Gumby so far. Gumby's are out of stock at the Dutch distributor and doesn't know when the item will be restocked. It seems I can't order with other European distributors. Is there a way around this? Maybe I should just buy a Bimby instead? The new ones are quite close apparently to the Gumby. Has anyone compared them?

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #5,827 of 7,049
No luck find a Gumby so far. Gumby's are out of stock at the Dutch distributor and doesn't know when the item will be restocked. It seems I can't order with other European distributors. Is there a way around this? Maybe I should just buy a Bimby instead? The new ones are quite close apparently to the Gumby. Has anyone compared them?

I haven't compared directly, the Gumby is a balanced design and slightly more resolving than Bimby, which is SE only.
If you don't need (or want) balanced then Bimby should be fine ... I've read a lot of great impressions as well.
Both are upgradable, which is key.

I would be interested in the answer you get from Laura at Schiit. This seems too complicated.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #5,828 of 7,049
The phrase from the Schiit site I don’t understand is “proprietary closed form digital filter...as in Yggdrasil.”

I don't understand 10% of what Jason writes about his amplifier designs, and don't purport to understand any of what Mike does.
I do know for sure that his Gumby with Gen5 USB design works perfectly and sounds great :)

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #5,830 of 7,049
The phrase from the Schiit site I don’t understand is “proprietary closed form digital filter...as in Yggdrasil.”
There has been much posted about this by Mike Moffatt @Baldr on Head-Fi. Suffice it to say it is a very different sort of digital filter that preserves 100% of the incoming signal rather than recreating some of it.

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #5,831 of 7,049
I haven't compared directly, the Gumby is a balanced design and slightly more resolving than Bimby, which is SE only.
If you don't need (or want) balanced then Bimby should be fine ... I've read a lot of great impressions as well.
Both are upgradable, which is key.

I would be interested in the answer you get from Laura at Schiit. This seems too complicated.
I have a bimby and a gumby, but I don’t typically compare between them. The bimby is for feeding my asgard 2 and lyr 2, and gumby is for the freya + 2 vidar, mainly to allow for more power for the magnepans

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #5,832 of 7,049
Don't you have a background in Signal Processing, and you've not heard of something like this?
I do have a background in signal processing (e.g. author of the Prentice-Hall textbook “Real Time Signal Processing.”). However, I do not understand what Schiit has done to create the Multibit version of their DACs.

In other words, I don’t know Schiit.

Maybe the answer is in “Schitt Happened.”

If I read it, then maybe I WILL know Schiit.

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #5,833 of 7,049
I do have a background in signal processing (e.g. author of the Prentice-Hall textbook “Real Time Signal Processing.”). However, I do not understand what Schiit has done to create the Multibit version of their DACs.

I guess you want to understand it in more depth than what people here can just regurgitate what Mike said.

People quote Rob Watts all time, but it's just quotes. There's a difference between understanding vs just quoting something they have no clear understanding of.

I don't understand people being so thrilled with concepts they don't understand that was spat out by designers.

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #5,834 of 7,049

I recommend searching out @Baldr's posts. Albeit on a layman's level in these forums, he goes into quite a bit of depth about what they were able to do VS how a typical delta-sigma DAC recreates the analog signal.

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #5,835 of 7,049
I guess you want to understand it in more depth than what people here can just regurgitate what Mike said.

People quote Rob Watts all time, but it's just quotes. There's a difference between understanding vs just quoting something they have no clear understanding of.

I don't understand people being so thrilled with concepts they don't understand that was spat out by designers.

Nobody on these forums really understand what Mike's programming does, except for him and his colleagues.
We're just trying to be helpful. I personally don't wanna know ... then he'd have to kill me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back