Schiit Gungnir DAC
Feb 6, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #4,801 of 7,049
You know...the music sounds so good that I've experienced a few of "those" moments lately.
Not sure how to describe it. Amazement and joy come to mind.
The equipment just disappears and only the music is there.
A very nice place to be. We have the genius of @Baldr to thank for these experiences.

As Tom Johnston sang "Whoa! Listen to the Music!"

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #4,802 of 7,049
Did you ever get a shipping notice? Mine has been powered six days now and I just get lost in the music...it's a keeper. Looks like I'll be selling the Bimby.
Nope, it still hasn't shipped. According to the website, orders placed now won't be shipped until about February 22nd. I'm not thrilled on this shipping timeframe to say the least.

Feb 7, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #4,804 of 7,049
Wow....sorry to hear that. I wonder what the hold up is? I guess that was very lucky to have received mine.
It might be the Analog Devices chip they use in the Gumby boards. Hear they are hard to order in small numbers from the manufacturer. I have had mine for almost two months now and believe me #goldsgym, it's worth the wait.
cheers..

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #4,805 of 7,049
Naah it's the demand they have for other new devices.
Check out Jason's thread for details...read his latest chapters. He is fully transparent.

Schiit Audio is covered up. They aren't ordering DAC chips in small batches.
They're having trouble keeping up with orders.
The business is taking off, more than ever.

And, @Raptor34 is right, for sure, you won't be disappointed with your GMB!

FYI, Friends.
RCB

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #4,806 of 7,049
Naah it's the demand they have for other new devices.
Check out Jason's thread for details...read his latest chapters. He is fully transparent.

Schiit Audio is covered up. They aren't ordering DAC chips in small batches.
They're having trouble keeping up with orders.
The business is taking off, more than ever.

And, @Raptor34 is right, for sure, you won't be disappointed with your GMB!

FYI, Friends.
RCB
Thanks for all of the encouraging words guys! I just got my notice this morning that my order has shipped, so I am ecstatic about receiving my new Gumby!

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #4,808 of 7,049
What should I have my sample rate and bit depth set at on windows 10? have a Gumby and Jot.

Feb 9, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #4,809 of 7,049
What should I have my sample rate and bit depth set at on windows 10? have a Gumby and Jot.

the gumby can handle up to 24/192. in windows, you need to be using exclusive mode (on the advanced tab) so that your player has exclusive use of the dac. from there you need to be using wasapi or asio in your player to bypass windows audio and set the max output there.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #4,810 of 7,049
Not sure about Windows 10, but I'm using JRiver that allows setting of those parameters.
The advice from other users was to not set them in JR but to allow the GMB to set them.
That's the role of Mike's closed program in the GMB.

So, I don't use JR to "upsample" to a higher sample rate or bit depth.
The SQ is great to me, with this setup...even on well-produced 320 MP3.
Most of my music is FLAC or ALAC. Some 24/96 and 24/192, but not much.

Happy Listening,
RCB

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #4,811 of 7,049
By default, Windows will resample whatever you play to whatever sample rate you have set as the default.
This is NOT what you want.

There is a mode called WASAPI mode that will override this behavior and cause Windows to output whatever you play in its native sample rate (the sample rate of the file itself).
This is something that you have to select or enable in your player program.
(You'll see it as an output option in jRiver; in Foobar2000 you need to install a free plugin called WASAPI; once you install that you'll see the WASAPI output options.)
In most players, these settings are independent of the Windows default settings, so those no longer matter.
Most players also allow you to select your output device SEPARATELY from the Windows default.

Note that, if you use programs like VLC, which DO use the Windows default settings, then you'll need to set the defaults for them (otherwise no VLC, no Youtube, and no system sounds).
Set your Windows default output audio device to your new DAC, and pick any reasonable sample rate..... 44k is plenty good enough..... pick 96k if it makes you feel better :floatsmile:

(In programs that have the preferred WASAPI output option, you'll often see the less-preferred option referred to as "DS" or "kernel streaming".)

(In programs like Spotify, or when playing lossy files like Mp3 files, the actual sound quality is less than CD quality - and the numbers are NOT comparable - so "320k bps" is lower quality than a 44k CD. For those, a default setting of 44k will get you whatever quality is actually there, although, again, feel free to pick 96k if it makes you feel better.)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #4,815 of 7,049
Just got my Gumby in. First of all this thing is massive. Second, only after an hour or so of powering it on - I'm lackluster. You can tell you have a lot of space around the music, it's super smooth, takes the mid forwardness and upper mid-bite out of the 650s which I kind of like but I can live with because the sound is so liquid. Everything is a bit effortless. Very happy right now but still mixed feelings. Will take a while it warms up to further develop my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back