Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 24, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #4,713 of 7,050
I can make three suggestions.... and I suspect that it's probably a combination of all three.

1) How we perceive things is strongly affected by everything from our expectations to the mood we're in. Therefore, the exact same thing can sound far different when we feel good instead of tired, or when we're in a good mood, or when we expect it to sound better or worse for some reason.

2) We humans have our own form of "burn in". We grow accustomed to differences over time, at which point they come to seem "the norm". The piece of equipment that sounds "a little odd" today tends to become tomorrow's normal. Therefore, you may simply be becoming accustomed to what the DAC sounds like, and so better able to "hear past it" to what's playing. (And, yes, "it may take less time to get used to equipment that has fewer flaws we need to learn to overlook".)

3) I could be pedantic and suggest that, just possibly, its performance actually does improve when it warms up - which might simply suggest that it doesn't perform up to spec when it's cold.

Okay, so What....?

I'm not trying to be one of these audio nutcases who claims their DAC got twice as good in the span of a few hours, but that's pretty much what happened. How can this be? Gumby suddenly took on levels of refinement, smoothness, ease, power and REALISM I didn't think it was capable of. It literally went up a notch or two and damn near brings tears to my eyes listening to music! Whereas before it was an amazing DAC, it's now almost indescribable... any sense of there being a DAC is gone, and it's just realistic music.

I'm not even sure how this is possible. @Baldr you mad genius.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #4,715 of 7,050
Listening this morning, and it's the same result. The Gumby definitely had a "sound" before.... "character".... it was extremely good at resolving every last detail, but it had a slight coloration to let you know there was a DAC in the chain. Now it sounds like nothing at all. Like there is nothing but the recording... and it sounds spookily realistic.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #4,716 of 7,050
800/Gumby combo should be endgame enough if you have a decent amp.
Well, it was for me. I didn't feel the need to continue searching for a rig to drive the HD800. You're right, still need a decent amp...
All I did along the way was complement the HD800 with an Audez'e can for different music genres. Some folks use ZMF cans as the complement.
HD800 for acoustic, classical and jazz. LCD-4 for rock, electric blues/fusion and the occasional metal.
Happy Listening!
RCB

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #4,717 of 7,050
Well, it was for me. I didn't feel the need to continue searching for a rig to drive the HD800. You're right, still need a decent amp...
All I did along the way was complement the HD800 with an Audez'e can for different music genres. Some folks use ZMF cans as the complement.
HD800 for acoustic, classical and jazz. LCD-4 for rock, electric blues/fusion and the occasional metal.
Happy Listening!
RCB

Yeah that's basically my setup right now. 800s for beats, instrumentals and Atticus for vocals. I'm about ready to ditch the 800's for a while at least because while I thought I always loved and wanted detail it can get fatiguing after a while. It's always cool to hear more nuances in your music but you're not analyzing 24/7 otherwise you're not really listening to the music. And for vocals, I prefer a more forward mid-range that even with equalization never reaches that liquid smoothness that makes vocals really pop out in music. Amp right now is the Valhalla 2, if I do decide to keep them probably will go to Black Widow or ZDS.

Belking PF60. Got it for $60 on craigslist. Worth every penny and more.

Seems like they discontinued this model. :frowning2:

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #4,718 of 7,050
I can make three suggestions.... and I suspect that it's probably a combination of all three.

1) How we perceive things is strongly affected by everything from our expectations to the mood we're in. Therefore, the exact same thing can sound far different when we feel good instead of tired, or when we're in a good mood, or when we expect it to sound better or worse for some reason.

2) We humans have our own form of "burn in". We grow accustomed to differences over time, at which point they come to seem "the norm". The piece of equipment that sounds "a little odd" today tends to become tomorrow's normal. Therefore, you may simply be becoming accustomed to what the DAC sounds like, and so better able to "hear past it" to what's playing. (And, yes, "it may take less time to get used to equipment that has fewer flaws we need to learn to overlook".)

3) I could be pedantic and suggest that, just possibly, its performance actually does improve when it warms up - which might simply suggest that it doesn't perform up to spec when it's cold.
Great post, Keith. I find it true when switching between my HD800 and LCD-4.
Takes my brain awhile to re-calibrate to the different sound.
So, I rarely switch every day. Instead, listen for a few days/weeks to one or the other.

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #4,720 of 7,050
While the Gumby now sounds technically much better, it lost a bit of euphony and character that I really liked. And it sounds slightly more harsh. I am wondering if it will continue to evolve and smooth out and get some character back. Otherwise I may have to roll in warmer tubes.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #4,721 of 7,050
While the Gumby now sounds technically much better, it lost a bit of euphony and character that I really liked. And it sounds slightly more harsh. I am wondering if it will continue to evolve and smooth out and get some character back. Otherwise I may have to roll in warmer tubes.

This is something I experienced, too. Or it was my way to look at it first. But I realized for me that the 'harshness' is the other side of the realism, and actually in live music you will hear often rather harsh moments... I feel this is a matter of taste and aesthetics. I got used to it and crave the slightly harder presentation in the mean time because it sounds so very realistic.

Having said this, replacing my Parasound amplifier chain with Vidar and Freya has mitigated the harshness by simply projecting a much larger room and making eveything more spacious. But you are listening to headphones, and that is a different matter.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #4,722 of 7,050
This is something I experienced, too. Or it was my way to look at it first. But I realized for me that the 'harshness' is the other side of the realism, and actually in live music you will hear often rather harsh moments... I feel this is a matter of taste and aesthetics. I got used to it and crave the slightly harder presentation in the mean time because it sounds so very realistic.

Having said this, replacing my Parasound amplifier chain with Vidar and Freya has mitigated the harshness by simply projecting a much larger room and making eveything more spacious. But you are listening to headphones, and that is a different matter.

Yes, I love the realism and yes, real music can definitely sound a bit harsh sometimes, but my T90s already elevated treble, so they are not tonally accurate. I am planning on getting the HD800 back and it's treble is much more tame in comparison, so I should be fine.

I am really surprised because Lyr 2 is supposed to be one of the warmer Schiit amps, but it sounds dead neutral with no warmth. But I imagine, like most any new component, it takes a while to get used to the new sound and adjust. I am totally loving Gumby, but it was a pretty big shift last night that I need to adjust to.

Jan 24, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #4,723 of 7,050
Was wondering if anyone (using Gumby) has gone from Lyr 2 to MJ2 and noticed an improvement? I am seriously considering MJ2, but I would have to get balanced cables and I am trying to avoid that. Isn't Lyr 2 basically a single ended MJ2? Or is there some room for improvement?

Jan 24, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #4,724 of 7,050
Why would you buy a Gumby and then want to avoid using a balanced setup? Balanced out of Gumby sounds better than summed single ended.

The MJ2 is a a step up from the Lyr 2. When I had my Yggdrasil, using balanced interconnects and a balanced headphone cable made a noticeable difference in sound quality with my HD 650 headphones.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #4,725 of 7,050
Why would you buy a Gumby and then want to avoid using a balanced setup? Balanced out of Gumby sounds better than summed single ended.

The MJ2 is a a step up from the Lyr 2. When I had my Yggdrasil, using balanced interconnects and a balanced headphone cable made a noticeable difference in sound quality with my HD 650 headphones.
I agree with this approach, ColtMrFire. I bought the original Gungnir and Mjolnir so that I could go balanced. Not looking back...it's the way to go.
If you want input on how the MJ2 pairs with HD800, I know that @MattTCG has personal experience. He's receptive to PM's.
And, the GMB + MJ2 would be a very nice rig for many HPs, IMO. Rock on, mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back