Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 19, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #4,486 of 7,049
As someone who is debating between the MMB, BMB, and GMB, these posts are very helpful. One thing I'd like to ask is if people are volume matching between the warmed up GMB and warmed up BMB, and if not, how this changes the landscape? Thanks guys, happy listening.

I'm still working on comparing my Bifrost MB and Gungnir MB. It's been quite fun and so far I'm leaning more and more towards the GMB.

I'm comparing using a Jotunheim and have the BMB and GMB (via XLR) connected and simply switch between the two inputs. I have been volume matching, and it doesn't make for a quick change due the extra gain on the XLR. SE'ed output from the GMB is very good and the differences between the two outputs are negligible (for me) and that's great because I'm going down the path of a SE OTL amp as my next rig.

Sonically, I feel the GMB is superior. I hear a broader, more developed soundstage and improved imaging. I hear less of a difference in tonality, but that's not to say there isn't any. My inexperienced ears may just not be picking it up.

One of the other features the GMB offered that I didn't even consider, but now almost easily secures the "is this worth it" question is that they're are 2 SE outs and the balanced. You mean I don't have to mess around with source switches or y-cables? WIN!!! It makes the DAC way easier to incorporate into my system.

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #4,487 of 7,049
Hello everyone.

I am considering buying the gen5 USB for my Gumby. It costs 159€ (upgrade) + 20€ (shipping back) + 50€ (shipping) = 229€. As I already have a Wyrd ; is it worth the upgrade ?
Here is my set up : PC => PYST USB => Wyrd => PYST USB => Gumby Gen2 => PYST XLR => Mjolnir 2 => FAW Noir Hybrid HPC (XLR) => Audeze LCD-X 2016

Thank you !

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #4,488 of 7,049
Eitr destroys Wyrd. Wyrd isn't even on the same playing field. Gen 5 is just like Eitr but an internal board. So yeah, IMO, it's worth it.

BTW, if it's cheaper just get the Eitr as it can be used with future DACs as well.

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #4,489 of 7,049
Ok thanks. Then I will get the new board. Eitr is a little less expensive. But it would be again, one more box and cable. I prefere having my gungnir updated. I will wait to have my MJ2 back and do the upgrade a that time.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #4,490 of 7,049
I have a question: I have upgraded my Gumby with USB Gen 5. After the upgrade everything worked immediately and sounded fantastic. However, 2 days ago I heard a click, the music stopped playing, and I saw the 'buy better gear' light flashing. Then at some point (30-60 seconds later) the music came back.

I did not experience this a second time yet. What could be the reason for this, especially if you fead it USB Gen 5? The computer I used worked well with my Gumby for more than a year before the upgrade.

Did anybody experience this as well?

Thanks!

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #4,491 of 7,049
Hello. I don't have the Gen 5 USB yet, but I will within a mounth or so. So far, with my Gen2 Gumby, I never experiment that problem but I have always used a Wyrd. What about you ?
I see on the user manual that the 'buy better gear' mean
"6 Clock Mode LED
(aka the “Buy Better Gear Light.”)
When this LED is on, this means Gungnir cannot clock to the source with VCXO regeneration, and has defaulted to VCO regeneration. Don’t panic. What this means is you’re still getting re-clocked data, but the quality is lower, because the source is off-frequency. Time to look for another source."

So maybe a Wyrd could solve the problem ? Maybe the Gen5 USB is more picky on the signal ?
By the way, what kind of files are you using ? Flac ? MP3 ? SD music ? HD music ?
Which player ? Did you install the Gumby drivers on your computer ?

Aug 24, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #4,492 of 7,049
Yes, I used Wyrd before, but did not use it with USB Gen 5.
The music interupted, so it was not only a change of the re-clocking mode I think.
I am using Flac, redbook CD and Audirvana on a Mac.

Maybe it was a computer glitch. I will observe. If it returns I will contact the technical support of Schiit. I am not really worried, I am rather curious.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #4,493 of 7,049
If it stills happen without the Wyrd, try again, with Wyrd. So you will know if it comes from the new USB card or from a bad signal.
As far as I remember, Macs don't like Flacs. I'd rather use Apple Loss Less.

Aug 24, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,495 of 7,049
Is there a difference with high end usb cables?

that's a loaded question . . . some insistent usb cables can make no difference, period; others insistent they absolutely make a difference, period. in my opinion, if you get something that is well made, the differences are very small so the you hit the point of diminishing returns quickly.

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #4,496 of 7,049
that's a loaded question . . . some insistent usb cables can make no difference, period; others insistent they absolutely make a difference, period. in my opinion, if you get something that is well made, the differences are very small so the you hit the point of diminishing returns quickly.

Coax cables certainly makes a difference for me. As for USB, I think it's placebo

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #4,498 of 7,049
Of course. Some are red, some are blue, some are black. Usually they have different company logos on them. Obvious differences. :)

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #4,499 of 7,049

Probably not. I say probably only because the quality of the cable can make a difference under some circumstances.

1) I'ts a crappy cable with poor connections, or one that has been crimped.
2) You are in an area with high electro magnetic or RF ( office building with a ton of wifi hotspots ), next to an air port ( I mean right next to ).
3) You have alot of money and want to share it with purveyors of snake oil.

The USB standard is not fault tolerant, so interference with packet transmission is a problem. Which is one of the reasons re-clockers, jitter protections etc can be effective. A crappy cable will produce crappy results.

That said, some double helix sacred geometry inspired vodoo magic cable is just silly. Don't buy a cable because it's cheap. But most of the time length and aesthetics are going to be more important than voodoo Better to spend abit more money on a usb regen, jitterbit, or eiter. ( the last is my favorite) where you will hear noticable sound improvements.

Since this is the Gungir thread. If you are buying new USB Gen 5 is in place already - if you have a Gungir I highly recommend the upgrade. This does more than any cable ever could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back