Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 9, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #4,276 of 7,050
  Anyways, the interview I referenced earlier where he actually talks about the Gungnir vs Bifrost. Go to 4:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eu1LyPZ090

He is talking about the Sigma Delta versions of the DACs....and he never says you should only consider Gungnir if you are going to use balanced.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #4,277 of 7,050

He is talking about the Sigma Delta versions of the DACs....and he never says you should only consider Gungnir if you are going to use balanced.

​Actually he said it differently than I remembered. I though he said the Gungnir was basically the equivalent of just two Bifrost plus a couple additional features, but I still posted it so people could get the actual story, not what I thought he said.  
wink_face.gif

But I still think a person would be better off looking at other options if staying SE. Could get similar quality and save a little money. I have a Modi mb, Chord Mojo, and wanted a Gumby badly. But I found an upgraded Yggy quicker than a Gumby 
blink.gif
  ...should have it Monday. But I have a balanced amp (iCAN pro)

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #4,278 of 7,050
I ran my Yggdrasil with my Lyr 2 (SE) for quite a while. It was a great combination!

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #4,279 of 7,050
Not much of a classical person myself, but I thought that was most of the appeal, hearing the different instruments being played, a small one in the back for just a second, then fading away, etc. Well, that or just calming music that you barely pay attention to in the background lol

I challange you to try to realx with said 3. movement of Prokoffiev 2 in the background. Let me know how that goes :p

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #4,281 of 7,050

I challange you to try to realx with said 3. movement of Prokoffiev 2 in the background. Let me know how that goes :p

I enjoy both Prokofiev and E. Kissin.  Do you have a recommended recording?
Thanks!

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #4,283 of 7,050
Just replaced my Gungnir with a used Gumby. Wow what a huge difference! I was expecting to A/B them against each other but the difference was immediately apparent. Gumby has much better resolution and a sense of "air" around instruments. Very happy with the upgrade. Will be posting the Gungnir for sale soon. Makes me wonder how much better the Yggy is?

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #4,284 of 7,050
I Think the Gumby is a totally different beast than the Gungnir. I would not call it an upgrade. You are in fact getting a very different sound. Gumby is very neutral and some care must be taken when matching with speakers and amp.
Dont use the Gumby USB interface -it is not bad but a good external USB/spdif converter is WAY better. I use a Yellowtec PUC2 lite.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #4,285 of 7,050
I Think the Gumby is a totally different beast than the Gungnir. I would not call it an upgrade. You are in fact getting a very different sound. Gumby is very neutral and some care must be taken when matching with speakers and amp.
Dont use the Gumby USB interface -it is not bad but a good external USB/spdif converter is WAY better. I use a Yellowtec PUC2 lite.

I am using a microRendu (powered by UpTone LPS-1) into the Gumby USB input. The microRendu is fed by a dedicated Roon server. I think this sounds fantastic! My amp is the iFi iCAN Pro. Headphones are LCD-2 (2016 model) and TH900. Speakers are Genelec M040 monitors. My system has never sounded better after the Gumby upgrade and I am happy with the overall synergy 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #4,286 of 7,050
The Gungnir source select button could use a rethink. Loose enough to rattle when walking past it in the units we've got here. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #4,288 of 7,050
  Just replaced my Gungnir with a used Gumby. Wow what a huge difference! I was expecting to A/B them against each other but the difference was immediately apparent. Gumby has much better resolution and a sense of "air" around instruments. Very happy with the upgrade. Will be posting the Gungnir for sale soon. Makes me wonder how much better the Yggy is?

Better. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #4,289 of 7,050
I have a Gumby on the way, and have read the last ten pages or so. When it gets here I think I'll just plug it in and enjoy it.
wink_face.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #4,290 of 7,050
  I have a Gumby on the way, and have read the last ten pages or so. When it gets here I think I'll just plug it in and enjoy it.
wink_face.gif

NM, I was going to give some pointers on the Gumby but then I noticed your profile and realize you've got a handle on setting up a DAC. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back