Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 3, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #4,006 of 7,072
It really depends on how much you're willing to spend.  I love my Gumby and would recommend it but I keep looking at Yggy and wondering if I will ever get over Yggy envy.  I know Jason listens to Gumby which he finds warmer and more musical (not a exact quote) but it's always hard to resist bigger, better and more top of the line.

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #4,007 of 7,072
  It really depends on how much you're willing to spend.  I love my Gumby and would recommend it but I keep looking at Yggy and wondering if I will ever get over Yggy envy.  I know Jason listens to Gumby which he finds warmer and more musical (not a exact quote) but it's always hard to resist bigger, better and more top of the line.

Having been one of those that moved from Gumby to Yggy, I will add this to your mix. Although the price difference was a factor during my initial analysis, for me it came down to what my objective was in making a move. After doing all my research on this forum, as well as others, the common theme was that Yggy was more detailed and resolving while maintaining it's musicality. Being one that went thru the transition from vinyl to redbook (yes, I am old), I had always missed the sound of analog. It was more musical. It's why there has always been a nitch market around it. I feel the Schiit implementation of multibit DAC's gets me back to that sound. What amazes me most about these DAC's was just how much stuff they can pull out of a redbook. I have a large library of redbook CD's ripped to my PC, and when I play many of my favorites now, they provide a new experience. Not that they sound different, but that they reveal layers of instruments or voices I had never herd before. Yes, Yggy is not as warm, but I can provide that via other methods. My MJ2 with a nice set of valves does nicely. But up front, I want that resolution and detail thats closer to analog. Yggy provides more of that. Price difference be damned.       

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #4,009 of 7,072
Has the Gungnir ever been sold in black?

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #4,011 of 7,072
Took me a little more effort, to take the picture, upload, etc... 
wink.gif

It's what I'm listening to as I type:

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #4,012 of 7,072
Just out of interest how much does everyone's Gumby hum? Can you hear it from over a meter away?

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #4,013 of 7,072
Jan 6, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #4,014 of 7,072
This took me two seconds using google search. Just sayin'

<me hangs head in shame>

Ableza made his yggy black with a sheet of adhesive-backed flat black vinyl and an Xacto knife. Or you could do vinyl carbon fiber or whatever floats your boat.  So if you absolutely want it in black its not to hard to do :wink:

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #4,015 of 7,072
Jan 6, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #4,016 of 7,072
  Hey guys ... anybody pairing the Cambridge CXC or CXN with the Gumby?  Good / bad / average? Coax/optical ?

Cheers,
Nasiem

I have CX-C with Yggy, coax. It is most excellent, to me it sounds a LOT better than lossless CD's served up from my computer. This is a very under-rated and understated CD solution, I love it!

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #4,017 of 7,072
I have CX-C with Yggy, coax. It is most excellent, to me it sounds a LOT better than lossless CD's served up from my computer. This is a very under-rated and understated CD solution, I love it!

Very nice! Thanks for the info. Will definitely check it out. I see a pair of cans and a headphone amp in your pic too. Is that a Schiit headphone amp? What came do you have ?

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,018 of 7,072
Very nice! Thanks for the info. Will definitely check it out. I see a pair of cans and a headphone amp in your pic too. Is that a Schiit headphone amp? What came do you have ?

Thank you, it's all in my signature below. The cans are Audeze LCD one open, and one closed for later in the evening, and the amp in the picture (very recently taken) is the Jotunheim. 
The Mjolnir is the same width as the CX-C. I was looking at the CXN but I am all set for DAC's, that is why I love the CX-C so much. They just focus on the CD transport!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back