Schiit Gungnir DAC
Dec 16, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #3,962 of 7,069
I recently upgraded from bimby. Improvements were noticeable. Gumby sounds more natural than bimby. I always thought bimby was shouty with nasty treble glare. That alone was worth it for me.

I agree with that. The bimby can be a bit shouty or hard on some recordings. Like Rock n Roll Animal (which I have playing now). It is great for jazz, acoustic instruments and voice. The gumby is just so smooth and relaxed. The bimby is great for the price. The gumby is great for any price. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,963 of 7,069

I agree with that. The bimby can be a bit shouty or hard on some recordings. Like Rock n Roll Animal (which I have playing now). It is great for jazz, acoustic instruments and voice. The gumby is just so smooth and relaxed. The bimby is great for the price. The gumby is great for any price. 

Which do you think is more neutral?

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #3,964 of 7,069
I've seen some GMB's for sale on the Head-Fi forum.  They don't last long.  Most of the sellers are upgrading to the Yggy.  That kinda says a lot about the Schiit DAC's.  FWIW friends.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3,965 of 7,069
I've seen some GMB's for sale on the Head-Fi forum.  They don't last long.  Most of the sellers are upgrading to the Yggy.  That kinda says a lot about the Schiit DAC's.  FWIW friends.

I have been tempted to get another Yggdrasil, to replacec my GMB, lol. But for now I am going to wait and see what next year brings

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #3,966 of 7,069
Since I got my Gumby 2 days ago I've experienced the same issue when connecting my powered off Pioneer Elite NX-30 to the Gumby's outputs.
The second outputs on the Gumby are going to a Beyerdynamic A2 Headphone amplifier. When my Pioneer is off the A2 gets this crazy distortion in high energy passages of music.
I know its not the Gumby's fault, but it is strange that this problem didn't manifest itself until I hooked up the Gumby. I didn't have this issue with my previous dac. Teac UD-501.
I'm currently working around the problem by putting a CELabs A/V distribution amplifier in between my Pioneer and the Gumby.
http://proav.celabs.net/av-products/av-distribution/composite-amplifiers/av400/ or just keep my receiver turned on and muted when using my A2.

Shorted or grounded inputs are most likely the cause. Gumby doesn't like this happening, which causes distortion. This is probably caused by the Pioneer when it's turned off. Your fix is probably as good as any... Leave it muted. An AV splitter may cause signal degradation.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #3,970 of 7,069
I could see Gumby being preferred with a colder/clinical sounding amplifier as it is a touch warmer than Yggy. I can't see anyone preferring Bimby to either... Mimby I could definitely see, as it's a lot cheaper, and arguably doesn't take as long for thermal stability/warmup.

Mimby is also a decent trade off if you're just driving a headphone amp... Coming from Mike Moffat himself, Bimby/Gumby/Yggy have more sophisticated sounding bass, however it may not be apparent until you're running a speaker setup.

I don't prefer Gumby to Yggy myself, as Yggy is ultimately more revealing/precise without sacrificing musicality with the amps I've used. The price was the deal breaker for myself, however if I were to recommend based on price alone, Mimby is clearly in a league of its own.

To put it more bluntly, I have never forgotten the sound of Yggy the three or four sessions I listened, even after owning/using Gumby since it was released. Yggy is clearly superior to discerning ears.

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #3,971 of 7,069
I could see Gumby being preferred with a colder/clinical sounding amplifier as it is a touch warmer than Yggy. I can't see anyone preferring Bimby to either... Mimby I could definitely see, as it's a lot cheaper, and arguably doesn't take as long for thermal stability/warmup.

Mimby is also a decent trade off if you're just driving a headphone amp... Coming from Mike Moffat himself, Bimby/Gumby/Yggy have more sophisticated sounding bass, however it may not be apparent until you're running a speaker setup.

I don't prefer Gumby to Yggy myself, as Yggy is ultimately more revealing/precise without sacrificing musicality with the amps I've used. The price was the deal breaker for myself, however if I were to recommend based on price alone, Mimby is clearly in a league of its own.

To put it more bluntly, I have never forgotten the sound of Yggy the three or four sessions I listened, even after owning/using Gumby since it was released. Yggy is clearly superior to discerning ears.

Thanks for your response. I ask because I have a Bimby now and can see a future where I upgrade to a Gumby or a Yggy. Just trying to figure out which makes more sense from a "will I be able to hear the difference for the price" perspective.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #3,972 of 7,069
Thanks for your response. I ask because I have a Bimby now and can see a future where I upgrade to a Gumby or a Yggy. Just trying to figure out which makes more sense from a "will I be able to hear the difference for the price" perspective.

They're not a big of a difference at initial listen, but after a few minutes, Yggy will reveal its strengths compared to lesser DACs at its price range. Gumby provides a slightly warmer signature but at a cost of less resolution compared to Yggy. Only DAC I could think of matching or outresolving yggy is Holo Audio Spring DAC Level 3 or Chord DAVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back