Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 2, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #3,796 of 7,161
  So my new (secondhand) Gumby arrived this morning and I've swapped out the X-Sabre and swapped in the Gumby. I have to say that the improvements so far (I'm not even halfway through a single album) are only incremental. I'll do a bit of A/B comparison later, but I'm surprised that the leap isn't as great as I hoped. This also gives me confidence that the X-Sabre actually is as good as I thought it was. Sure, the Gumby is better, but it's not the leagues better I was expecting after reading some of the reviews and hype. This book is still open though so I reserve the right to do a complete about face if the limiting factor at the moment is the album I'm listening to (Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit).

By the way, does the Gumby get better after being left on / warming up? This one hasn't been used since at least Monday I'd say so would / could that make any difference?

Regardless of it being used, I'd give it a good 7 days of warm up. My experience is that it takes at least a week before it's 100% - I use my turntable until it's ready, as I find Gumby's overall clarity and bass seem to suffer the most until it's completely ready.

I would suspect the biggest difference vs the X-Sabre would be the treble presentation... the Moffat bass also sounds fantastic.

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3,797 of 7,161
Waiting for an upgrade. HUGE wait until the Gumby to be back on stock. But whats with you Gungnir? Is the metal so rare that they cant find supply for over a month?

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #3,798 of 7,161
  Waiting for an upgrade. HUGE wait until the Gumby to be back on stock. But whats with you Gungnir? Is the metal so rare that they cant find supply for over a month?

I have been wondering the same. The first indication that it was out of stock due to the shortage seems to be late June. I placed an order more than a week ago myself waiting to be fulfilled. Kinda wondering whats up, and if there is a timeframe myself.

Maybe @Jason Stoddard or @Baldr could weigh in on the subject? Then again, I would completely understand if not. I would take any information over none at this point, even if it was disappointing. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #3,799 of 7,161
Still waiting on metal...last told "2-3 days"...on Wednesday. We'll see.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 2, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #3,801 of 7,161
The metal...it has arrived! And it looks good! And it's in process!

Wow, between this and the Windows Class 2 drivers, this has been a good week.

What this means:

1. We'll start cleaning out backorders. Most likely Monday.
2. Status will be updated on the site, most likely after Monday.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #3,802 of 7,161

Hopefully the drivers will be implemented in the current release branch of Windows 10 and not stay exclusive to the current development branch until it is released

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #3,803 of 7,161
I have an unusual problem, folks. I now have my Gumby connected in 3 ways:
  • Direct USB from PC (using JitterBugs)
  • Networked to RPi 3 / Digi+ and connected via coax
  • RPi/Digi+ also connected via optical

There's no doubt that the RPi/coax setup sounds best, but I keep hearing alterations in the sound. I experience it as subtle shifts in the soundstage and sense of space in the audio. It is less prominent, but has happened once or twice via optical from the RPi and is almost non-existent from the USB connection I think (I can't be certain, but I don't think it's happened at all).

I can only assume that the quality of the feed is varying and the Adapticlock method is switching on the fly to rebuild the signal. That's the only thing I can think of. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: I'm currently running the RPi via ethernet, but my laptop via WiFi. I'll fix this today so both are on ethernet and see if that helps, but would still be keen to hear if others have experienced this shift in soundstage I'm experiencing.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #3,804 of 7,161

What this means:

1. We'll start cleaning out backorders. Most likely Monday.
2. Status will be updated on the site, most likely after Monday.

Take Monday off, it's Labor Day.

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #3,805 of 7,161

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #3,807 of 7,161
Was hoping the metal problem would be sorted out in time for my Gumby purchase at the end of September... Glad to see I wasn't crossing my fingers for nothing! 
gs1000.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #3,808 of 7,161
Sounds good about the gumbys gosh. I really want to see what one will sound like with the Jortunheim now. 

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #3,809 of 7,161
  So my new (secondhand) Gumby arrived this morning and I've swapped out the X-Sabre and swapped in the Gumby. I have to say that the improvements so far (I'm not even halfway through a single album) are only incremental. I'll do a bit of A/B comparison later, but I'm surprised that the leap isn't as great as I hoped. This also gives me confidence that the X-Sabre actually is as good as I thought it was. Sure, the Gumby is better, but it's not the leagues better I was expecting after reading some of the reviews and hype. This book is still open though so I reserve the right to do a complete about face if the limiting factor at the moment is the album I'm listening to (Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit).

By the way, does the Gumby get better after being left on / warming up? This one hasn't been used since at least Monday I'd say so would / could that make any difference?

If I recall the number stated is left on for at least 72 hours to reach maximum sound quality. I leave mine on full time. Listen to it fully warmed up and spend more time with it. I find it very hard to go back to my X-Sabre since getting the Gumby and am only keeping it (X-Sabre) in case I want to listen to DSD. I find the difference to be quite noticeable, especially when listening to Cymbals and Piano.

Sep 6, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #3,810 of 7,161
The Gumby is slowly, but surely winning me over... I've left it on for a few days straight and while I honestly couldn't tell you if it sounds different, I'm definitely enjoying it. I tried a comparison with the X-Sabre and while the X-Sabre is still an outstanding DAC, the extra cash I spent on the Gumby has paid off. My setup seems a bit warm and rolled-off to me now, but I think it's a lack of familiarity with the multibit smoothness compared to the more digital and etched sound from the delta-sigma DACs I'm used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back