Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 20, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #3,826 of 7,216
  I got a chance to listen to Modi Multibit, to me it sounded very spacious and relax, but lack the tonal density and details of the saber chip dac I have. Would the Gungnir Multibit move me in that direction of increasing the tonal details of instrument, while keeping that relax spaciousness that is very pleasing to the ears.

IMO, yes.  The GMB program captures more bits so gets closer to analog sound.  It's been widely discussed over on Baldr's thread (he's the programmer, Dr. Mike Moffat).  The Yggy captures the most bits but the GMB is only one bit or so behind.  Check out his thread for the design details...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784471/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter

I own the GMB and love it.  Very spacious, resolving sound.  The Yggy is even better.

@Baldr any comments?

Enjoy your music,
RCB

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #3,827 of 7,216

You have to step up to Yggy for that.

IMHO, no, you don't.  The GMB is close to Yggy.  I've heard both.  And there's a ~$1000 price difference.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #3,830 of 7,216
lol @ the stick-on feet

Upgrading from the Modi 2, that line just feels so good

Any tips on how to warm up/break in? Do I just leave it on for a week?

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,831 of 7,216
  lol @ the stick-on feet

Upgrading from the Modi 2, that line just feels so good

Any tips on how to warm up/break in? Do I just leave it on for a week?

Hook it up in your system, turn it on, play lot's of music, never turn it off. You'll be deliriously happy in a week, in a month the sound will be sublime.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #3,832 of 7,216
Finally received my Gumby! Will update my thoughts after some intensive listening. 

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3,833 of 7,216
Originally Posted by Xeculus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love everything about this company.  99% of the time Mike and Jason get it right.  But sometimes they don't.  In this case, it is crystals (inside the 2nd cable).  No series or parallel components are in the cable, which is essentially an antenna sink here, the action is environmental:

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #3,834 of 7,216
****, hit off switch on the surge protector and cut power to gumby...

Would this be an issue? 

What do you guys do during thunderstorms and such if you're always keeping it on?

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #3,836 of 7,216

Would this be an issue? 

What do you guys do during thunderstorms and such if you're always keeping it on?

I have a pretty good surge protector nowadays but I'm from a place that used to get a ton of storms whilst I was growing up (not so much any more) and our grids were super wonky, lost a couple computers as well as other electronics to them back when so I instinctively turn off my audio equipment when one does pop up (max once a month late years, thankfully).

Rather have to deal with it having to warm up again than leave it on during a storm and have to send it all the way back to the US to have it be repaired.

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #3,837 of 7,216

Would this be an issue? 

Wait until the power comes back. :)
Seriously though, it happens, never had a problem with sound quality. Guessing that it comes back to equilibrium more quickly as it ages.

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #3,838 of 7,216
Very good first impression with the Gumby. All notes are more solid and the bass has more texture. I really like the minimalist silver design of the Gumby & Mjolnir 2 stack since they sit really nicely beside my Macbook pro in my setup. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #3,839 of 7,216
Warmed gumby for 3 days before trying it out

Shocked at how good it is compared to Modi 2U. I was always under the impression dacs added minimal improvement. But now I hear an added dimension to the music, like the notes have more body to them. Bass is more rich, dynamics seem more noticeable, and detail is astounding. And this is paired to Magni 2. At this point I'm wondering if it's psychological and I'm imagining the difference

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #3,840 of 7,216
Warmed gumby for 3 days before trying it out

Shocked at how good it is compared to Modi 2U. I was always under the impression dacs added minimal improvement. But now I hear an added dimension to the music, like the notes have more body to them. Bass is more rich, dynamics seem more noticeable, and detail is astounding. And this is paired to Magni 2. At this point I'm wondering if it's psychological and I'm imagining the difference

Just wait until you try it out with a balanced amp and cans -- it gets even better. 

Sorry 'bout your wallet. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back