Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 27, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #3,691 of 7,058
Yes I happen to have that soundtrack - very nice.

Regarding ''Moffat'' bass. I remember seeing that somewhere which is why I was inquiring about the Gumby's bass. The Yggy's presentation might be closer to what I need but with the crappy Canadian dollar its price is just out of reach for me now.

Regarding ESS DACs as you move up the price ladder that's fortunate/unfortunate depending on how much you paid.

I'd like to think the $2850 Veritas with ES9028PRO chip will be different.

May 27, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #3,692 of 7,058
I've heard Gumby, Yggy, the Invicta, and the Concero. Gumby and Yggy have a more natural sounding presentation to my ears than what I hear coming from the Resonessence Labs DACs. I found the Invicta to sound very detailed compared to other DACs... Until I heard the Yggdrasil which IMO blows it out of the water for detail retrieval.

Notwithstanding MSRP, I find the multibit DACs to offer a uniquely natural, even keeled presentation. I have heard Sabre based DACs that I enjoy, but I think the AKM chips offer superior resolution without glare. It really depends on the implementation...

May 27, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #3,693 of 7,058
The $500 I spent to upgrade my Gungnir to GMB is the best decision I've made so far with this hobby.  Making no other changes to the rig, the MB dramatically improved the SQ and, with the BHA-1 amp, made the LCD-X and even the HD800 shine.  If there are folks on the fence about whether to upgrade to MB, I can testify that it's well worth the investment.  Enough so that, while I've heard the Yggy and it's superb, I am happy right where I am.

FWIW, YMMV.
Cheers,
RCB

May 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #3,695 of 7,058
The best upgrade I made was buying a decent analog phono stage. I enjoy the multibit DACs, but I find analog sounds much, much better. How do you feel about vinyl RCB?

Well, I used to listen to vinyl all the time but then retired the old rig and donated all my albums, so currently have no vinyl in the house.  It's certainly making a come-back.  Our local Barnes & Noble has an entire section dedicated to vinyl albums now!

May 30, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #3,696 of 7,058
Recently snagged a used Gumby Multi bit. All is well so far except one thing. I'm using both the balanced out and one set of the rca outs. Balanced goes to my Parasound p7 preamp while the rca goes into a Yamaha receiver to feed some zones around my home. Problem is the rca outs into the Yamaha sound distorted? I tried switching the rca outs (there are two) same issue. I've read this isn't the first time soothing like this has happened.

Any thoughts or suggestions? My Parasound Zdac which was hooked up exactly the same didn't cause any distortion whatsoever......

Thanks.

May 30, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #3,697 of 7,058
Does the distortion go away when you unplug the XLR outputs? One problem people were seeing was amps that ground or short their inputs, which was causing distortion with the other outputs on Gumby. Maybe try just feeding the SE amp with the balanced connections removed.

FWIW I also had distortion occasionally on the SE outputs. I power cycled Gumby when this happened and it went away. Mine sounded like everything was clipping, it was terrible.

May 30, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,698 of 7,058
Does the distortion go away when you unplug the XLR outputs? One problem people were seeing was amps that ground or short their inputs, which was causing distortion with the other outputs on Gumby. Maybe try just feeding the SE amp with the balanced connections removed.

FWIW I also had distortion occasionally on the SE outputs. I power cycled Gumby when this happened and it went away. Mine sounded like everything was clipping, it was terrible.

The family is in bed so I'll give it a try tomorrow! I'll try unplugging the balanced outs first. If this works would a solution be to use the two unbalanced outs of the Gumby only?

Thanks for your help!

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #3,699 of 7,058

Update,
So I had a chance to experiment tonight. To recap my setup is:

Gumby rca outs to Yamaha cx-a5000
Gumby rca outs to cheap Yamaha receiver in a bedroom
Gumby balanced outs to my Parasound p7 preamp

I tried disconnecting just the balanced cable, still distortion. I even swapped in/out different cables to rule that out. Only way to fix the distortion was to either remove the cheaper Yamaha from the chain or actually turn it on. Once it was on the distortion in the other zones was gone! I never had distortion through my p7 regardless of the scenarios.

Any thoughts? It's odd tome that my previous Zdac never had this issue considering I used the exact same connections.

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #3,700 of 7,058
I'm really enjoying my Gumby, but am a bit surprised how warm it runs.  I assume that - like every other Schiit product I have owned - this thing generates heat and the aluminum enclosure warms up.  This is normal for this DAC, right?  Thanks!

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #3,701 of 7,058
  I'm really enjoying my Gumby, but am a bit surprised how warm it runs.  I assume that - like every other Schiit product I have owned - this thing generates heat and the aluminum enclosure warms up.  This is normal for this DAC, right?  Thanks!

Yes it gets a little warm -  Not to worry!
This is totally normal. 

Unlike some class A or tube amps, which you can barely touch if they have been on for a while.

The Bimby I used to have, didn't get warm at all ...

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #3,702 of 7,058
Update,

I tried disconnecting just the balanced cable, still distortion. I even swapped in/out different cables to rule that out. Only way to fix the distortion was to either remove the cheaper Yamaha from the chain or actually turn it on. Once it was on the distortion in the other zones was gone! I never had distortion through my p7 regardless of the scenarios.

Any thoughts? It's odd tome that my previous Zdac never had this issue considering I used the exact same connections.

I quite recently (within the past couple weeks) saw report of someone having an identical issue. It is exactly as @mikoss described, which is your receiver is shorting the RCA output from the Gungnir when powered off. The Gungnir topology is not such that each of the outputs is entirely separate (probably best you look for the exact verbiage in this thread) so a short on one of the outputs causes distortion.

Page 243, post #3632 contains the reference I recalled.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,703 of 7,058

Update,

I'm curious about whether any of the distortion events resulted in higher volume output into your headphones?  Thanks

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #3,704 of 7,058
I quite recently (within the past couple weeks) saw report of someone having an identical issue. It is exactly as @mikoss
 described, which is your receiver is shorting the RCA output from the Gungnir when powered off. The Gungnir topology is not such that each of the outputs is entirely separate (probably best you look for the exact verbiage in this thread) so a short on one of the outputs causes distortion.

Page 243, post #3632 contains the reference I recalled.

Schiit support provided identical info, thanks! The question is, will a better (more expensive) Yamaha receiver not short the input? Obviously my good one cx-a5000 does not short the input while my cheaper bedroom Rx-v567 does. I just don't know which receivers do not short these inputs!

Anyone have any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back