Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 29, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #3,586 of 7,224
  Eagerly awaiting delivery of my GUMBY, supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I thought long and hard about getting a Yiggy but reading the post from Jason where he said that is what he uses at home was enough for me. And it's $1K cheaper...

I was in the same boat.  I went back and forth trying to decide between the two.  I actually had a Yggy on order that I cancelled right before I placed my Gumby order.  I'm very happy with my decision.  The Gumby holds its own very nicely.

Apr 29, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #3,587 of 7,224
Same here. Best DAC I've owned so far. My budget didn't allow for the Yggy anyways but to hear the Gumby sounds more 'euphonic' to many is like icing on the cake. :)

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #3,588 of 7,224
Eagerly awaiting delivery of my GUMBY, supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I thought long and hard about getting a Yiggy but reading the post from Jason where he said that is what he uses at home was enough for me. And it's $1K cheaper...

I just snagged a used Gumby too! I thought about the Yggy as well but ran across a good deal and thought I can always upgrade later on and not lose much if any on the Gumby:)

Any settings in Jriver 21 I need to do differently? I imagine I need the Schiit Windows drivers.....wasapi .....etc?

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #3,589 of 7,224
Hi guys,

Just got my Gungnir and I'm freaking loving it.  Coming from a Grace Design M9XX, this thing is tremendous.  But since I got a Delta-Sigma unit, it's making me curious about the Multibit.  Does anyone have any experience comparing the two?

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #3,590 of 7,224
  Hi guys,

Just got my Gungnir and I'm freaking loving it.  Coming from a Grace Design M9XX, this thing is tremendous.  But since I got a Delta-Sigma unit, it's making me curious about the Multibit.  Does anyone have any experience comparing the two?

Rut-roh. Everyone on this forum who has done the upgrade will recommend it. If you are going to let the likes of us spend your money for you, just save yourself some time- box it up now and send it back to Schiit for the upgrade.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #3,591 of 7,224

Rut-roh. Everyone on this forum who has done the upgrade will recommend it. If you are going to let the likes of us spend your money for you, just save yourself some time- box it up now and send it back to Schiit for the upgrade.

LOL, I felt like I knew this would be the response before asking, but what exactly does the MB do to make it so much better?  I feel like I've reached some point of a mountain that I'm climbing, but now there are clouds that block the rest of the view, and I have no idea how much further it goes or what exists higher up there.  (In this analogy, the higher the mountain goes, the better performance there is.  Strictly performance based, not price.)

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #3,592 of 7,224
Hi guys,

I'd go back in this forum to around September of last year, and start reading ahead. I think that's about when people would have started sending theirs in to have the upgrade done (didn't it get released end of August?).

I'd have it done.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #3,594 of 7,224

LOL, I felt like I knew this would be the response before asking, but what exactly does the MB do to make it so much better?  I feel like I've reached some point of a mountain that I'm climbing, but now there are clouds that block the rest of the view, and I have no idea how much further it goes or what exists higher up there.  (In this analogy, the higher the mountain goes, the better performance there is.  Strictly performance based, not price.)

I have an Yggy and original Gugnir (not yet upgraded) in my BR system. To extend your analogy: the Yggy will blow away the clouds, exposing brilliant sunlight, sparkling snow and ice, dark rocks, clean air, and the sounds of flowing water, calling birds, and chanting monks in the nearby monastery. You'll be just shy of the summit, but the view will be astonishing, and the word "clarity" will ring in the sky.

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #3,595 of 7,224

I have an Yggy and original Gugnir (not yet upgraded) in my BR system. To extend your analogy: the Yggy will blow away the clouds, exposing brilliant sunlight, sparkling snow and ice, dark rocks, clean air, and the sounds of flowing water, calling birds, and chanting monks in the nearby monastery. You'll be just shy of the summit, but the view will be astonishing, and the word "clarity" will ring in the sky.

My wallet hates you so much right now...

But thank you nonetheless for catering to my analogy.

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3,596 of 7,224
Not having it upgraded is not an option... But even so you do have two options.
1. Send it back for upgrade.  2. Send it back for credit against Yggy.

Have the Gumby since release and LOVE it.
In addition to the incredible sound it also gave me the lust for the Yggy. Especially when I read a comment like the above from US Blues LOL.

Time is money and you don't get any of it back,  uh, something like that.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #3,597 of 7,224
It also depends on how good your other equipment is, and how good your ears are. I just got my gumby today and had a hard time discerning differences between it and my Bifrost Uber aside from the Uber being obviously brighter in sound tonality. For my $ and current gear I think the gumby was the right level for me.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #3,598 of 7,224
I did it, guys.  I ordered a Gumby.  Didn't go the upgrade route, as I'm looking forward to A/B testing it and keeping the Gumby if it impresses me (both the DS and MB were bought used).  Nevertheless, I'm frikkin' psyched!

May 1, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #3,599 of 7,224
  I did it, guys.  I ordered a Gumby.  Didn't go the upgrade route, as I'm looking forward to A/B testing it and keeping the Gumby if it impresses me (both the DS and MB were bought used).  Nevertheless, I'm frikkin' psyched!

I warned you this would happen if you let us spend your money. I do look forward to reading about your comparison listening, as I have a Gungnir that needs to be upgraded at some point in the future.

May 1, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #3,600 of 7,224
Thanks to several forum members here, I got to compare Gumby and Yiggy at home on my Dynaudio/NAIM system, one that is capable of resolving the differences between these two stellar DACs. The Gumby is cheaper, a little more analog and relaxed, and perhaps 90% as revealing as the Yiggy. But the Yiggy justifies its price premium with its absolutely addictive musicality and depth. It's the DAC for me.

What I'd really like is for Schiit to remove the balanced XLR outputs and stuff the Yiggy into a box with the rough size and footprint between the BMB and GMB. And make it black! Charge $1700-1800 for it and I'll buy it yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back