Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 19, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #3,183 of 7,050
I just completed an outdated comparison, between two outdated spdif converters, with my outdated delta sigma Gunginr. I had been using the XMOS based MF V192, and compared it to the Streamlength based Halide Brddge. The V192 is noticbly better to my ears, and to my surprise. The differences were subtle, but when I switched back to the V192 the 'veil' lifted and muscicality improved. It was like the Bridge took me further away from the music, and not in a good soundstage way. I wonder if I would experience the same results with a Gumby, and how these may compare to Schiit's USB.2 or even .3 inputs. All I know is that the V192 smoked the OG USB input on my Gungnir. Does my model even have a nickname, because dsg keeps getting autocorrected.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #3,186 of 7,050
Even something like the Bose Mini Soundlink speaker can benefit from the lineout of this wonderful dac.  The soundlink serves conveniently as a speaker bar for my pc monitors and it's satisfying.

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #3,187 of 7,050
I just set up my Gungnir MB.  Compared to my previous office head phone rig DAC, a Wavelength Proton, I much prefer the Schiit.  The Wavelength is now for sale, send ma a PM if interested.  This after noon I will compare the Gungnir to my Yggdrasil. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #3,190 of 7,050
Ablaza,

You don't need to give percentages for me because they are so subjective.  How about just telling us what Yggy adds or subtracts to what Gumby sounds like?  In your subjective opinion is the added size, cost and heat of the Yggy worth it to you?  Obviously you can't be expected to decide whether it's worth to us.

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,192 of 7,050
Gungnir MB vs Yggdrasil: USB output from my music server, feeding my new Mjolnir 2 amp via balanced cables.  There is a definite difference between the two DACs.  It is subtle, not as obvious as the very marked difference when moving to Schiit's MB technology from, well, every D/S DAC I have ever used.  The difference between Yggy and Gumby is in the texture and detail.  The Yggdrasil reveals more subtle details and sounds more dynamic.  Gungnir is actually a little warmer sounding to me and reminds me of the sound I enjoy in many tube-buffered preamps.  Gungnir will be a fine replacement to the Wavelength I was using at my desk.  Yggdrasil will return to my main 2-channel system, where it excels driving a loudspeaker-based system.  But, for half the cost, the fact that Gungnir achieves nearly the sound of Yggdrasil is an amazing feat and points to the quality and innovation of the Schiit MB filters.  I think it is very much worth whatever they decide to charge for it.

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #3,194 of 7,050
I'm going to speculate the main difference between the two is the use of the USB Gen 2 on the Gumby vs USB Gen 3 on the Yggy.

I suspect it has more to do with the different DAC topology between the two.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back