Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 19, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2,761 of 7,216

I just hooked up my new Gungnir multibit.  The first disk I played (still listening to it as I type) was the 24/48 Wallflower by Diana Krall.  An excellent album that 's very well recorded.  Right out of the box, the Gumby soundstages well, strings are lush and vocals are still a little recessed but that will improve; remember this is the first 20 minutes.  My peripherals are a little different but I think they will allow the Gumby to put its best foot forward.  I'm using a YFS USB Reference data only cable feeding a Bryston Buc-1 USB to spdif converter which is in turn connected to the Gumby with a Zu Audio Ash digital cable; power cable is a Silnote Poseidon GL.  I have great expectations and I'll keep you posted.

color]

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,762 of 7,216
I've got an OG Gungnir, and have been enjoying it with a V-Link 192 (XMOS). I'm about to try a different flavor of USB conversion, as I would like to use the V-Link with another DAC that accepts its AES connection. So now I have a Halide S/PDIF Bridge coming, which I've always wanted to try out. It's only 24/96, but most of my listening is via Red Book and it uses the Streamlength USB code that I've always wanted to listen to. One of these days I may upgrade my Gungnir's USB input but this is fun!
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2,763 of 7,216
  OK, got Yggy in yesterday and hasn't even been 24 hours since using Yggy. Will keep you posted about Gungnir multibit vs Yggy impressions, in my system, according to my bias, with my ears.

It's been about 22 hrs, and I can tell there's a greater sense of transparency and neutrality vs Gungnir multibit, focus is also very very good, but so far Yggy vs Gungnir multibit is not knocking my socks off. The two are DEFINITELY of the same familial signature.

Cold out of the box Yggy  sounded open, and focused, but I've only been watching movies this last day off I had, not much music. Listened to Lorde's album in hi-res just now and there's definitely more inner detail and greater transparency than Gungnir multibit, but it's not a HUGE difference between Yggy and Gumby, but it's there. Sorry if this is a little OT.

dude I never noticed the pictures you posted. I'll be honest I was a skeptic but I wasn't in complete doubt that you could own like 5 Gungnirs. I just saw the pictures and was like!! 
eek.gif
HAHA all the disbelievers and doubters calling you out just got shut up

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #2,764 of 7,216
  Wellllllll, thanks for the offer!  I probably won't have a need to "recoup" money and will certainly want the AMAZING Gumbys for probably a second system, or use one for my PC gaming, etc. Also have one sitting around to schlep over to friends houses to let them hear this amazing DAC in their OWN systems.

Soooo, I will probably be hanging onto my audio gear. I learned about 18 years ago to be very careful about selling audio gear. I wish I NEVER EVER EVER had sold my Theta DSPRO Progeny A Revision DAC! I had regretted it ever since, until I got these Gumbys.

Cheers!

If you ever go to an LA or San Diego Head-fi meet you can have your chance to hear one. I love mine to death and Mike M just recently replied to my comments in the Bifrost MB thread saying the Theta output voltage is 4V versus the standard 2V. That is why it adds volume and has a great rhythm and drive and musicality like no other.

Maybe someday I'll end up selling it if I can finally win an eBay Theta Gen V-A for a good price. If I do sell it I will remember the name and the man with 5 Gungnirs: TubemanRQ

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #2,765 of 7,216
Thanks for the kind words!  With Yggy now, I don't miss the Theta Progeny Rev-A I used to own, and am sure I don't need to look at the Gen V-A, but those are amazing pieces and certainly have collector/vintage value and mystique. 

Cheers!

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,768 of 7,216
Hi everyone. Has anyone used a D-S Gungnir with STAX SR-009? If yes, do they pair well? Thank you.

The Stax is an electrostatic headphone and requires an electrostatic amplifer.

Please please do further reading before buying anything and risk wasting money.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #2,770 of 7,216
Hi everyone. Has anyone used a D-S Gungnir with STAX SR-009? If yes, do they pair well? Thank you.

IMO yes, DS Gungnir can make the SR-009's sing, however I think the MB version is much better. Very linear, detailed, with beautiful, full bodied bass which really does wonders for Stax setups. The DS version really does a wonderful job with vocals in particular, but the MB version just sounds more refined, detailed and natural. All in my opinion of course.

As for special amping, it really has nothing to do with the DAC... Swing and a miss, lol.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,771 of 7,216
Seriously considering getting a Gumby...

Received a Geek Pulse (standard) about a week and a half ago and really not happy with the sound. Mind you it's still breaking in, and I am noticing the sound changing, but as it is now, even my Modi sounds better.

Is anyone using the single-ended outputs of the Gumby?
My amp (Burson Soloist) is only single-ended and I'm wondering if there's a noticeable difference between the balanced and se outputs.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2,772 of 7,216
I've got over 125 hours in on the Gumby. It has not been turned off and has been fed signal constantly either from me playing music or a steady repeat of various burn in and test sources (Frybaby audio track, Xlo Test & Burn-In CD, Tara Lads - Cascade Noise Burn In Disk and Stereophile Test CD). I'm also using 4 Herbies Tenderfeet with one Supersonic Stabilizer on top of the dac. Signals are originating from my Dell desk top pc which is deriving power from my Furman conditioner via a Zu Audio Mother power cable (don't laugh, it make s a huge difference). The desktop also sits on 4 Herbies Tenderfeet on my component stand. I've become a firm believer in usb converters so my pc is connected to a Bryston Buc-1 USB to spdif converter via a YFS USB Reference data only cable. The BUC-1 also has a Zu Audio Mother power cable and the Gumby is using a Silnote Poseidon GL power cord. The Gumby receives its signal from the Bryston via a Zu Audio Ash spdif rca digital cable. 

Now that all of that's out of the way, let say that the Gumby is awesome. The bass is very extended and articulate. Some may call it warm sounding but not detrimentally so. If you'll recall back in the day, many we're attracted to Theta dacs because of how they reproduced bass; I suspect the family lineage is shining through with the Gumby. Cymbals are metallic with plenty of air. Vocals are holographic with background singers clearly spread across the soundstage (background singers are easily understood as well). Strings are lush and acoustic guitarists are right in front of you. Pianos have the appropriate amount of percussive attack and decay (i.e. they sound like real pianos). The soundstage is deep and extended. No digital glare and no listener fatigue. The suddenness of handclaps on live disks are scary and immmersive. I know I'm writing in short clipped sentences but all I can say is I haven't heard anything I don't like. The Gumby is a musical and enjoyable piece that's worthy of your consideration. Back to the listening chair, I've been away too long already. 

One more observation, I've never heard 44.1/16 standard resolution sound this good before. The music has body and makes you want to shake the proverbial booty (the real one too). Sound improvements from hirez, where present, are clearly discernible. I'm rediscovering my music collection because the resolution of the Gumby keeps pulling stuff out of the mix I hadn't heard before. For example, listening to Cassandra Wilson's Harvest Moon on New Moon Daughter in the dark can be spooky as you go deeper into the swamp like mix of cricket sounds. Great stuff!!

Mike

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,773 of 7,216
The Stax is an electrostatic headphone and requires an electrostatic amplifer.

Please please do further reading before buying anything and risk wasting money.

See below. And I am getting an electrostatic amplifier, the STAX SRM-323S.

You are right! But he is asking about the gungnir d-s which is a dac, which can be fed into an electrostatic amp!!

IMO yes, DS Gungnir can make the SR-009's sing, however I think the MB version is much better. Very linear, detailed, with beautiful, full bodied bass which really does wonders for Stax setups. The DS version really does a wonderful job with vocals in particular, but the MB version just sounds more refined, detailed and natural. All in my opinion of course.

As for special amping, it really has nothing to do with the DAC... Swing and a miss, lol.

Ordered the D-S Gungnir. Oh well, it's going to be my first "high-end" DAC. Not gonna regret it as long as it's not a horrible pairing with the rest of my equipment. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #2,774 of 7,216
  Ordered the D-S Gungnir. Oh well, it's going to be my first "high-end" DAC. Not gonna regret it as long as it's not a horrible pairing with the rest of my equipment. Thanks.

Great thing about the Schiit products is you can always upgrade later, if you have the itch.
And if you don't, you can stay happy with what you've got 
wink_face.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #2,775 of 7,216
^ That is the route I decided to go. Replace my Modi, that feeds a Valhalla 2 and a Rag. I will get the DS and use both outputs instead of using the Valhalla 2 as a preamp and hp amp. Sometimes I prefer it and the tubes to straight up clarity. The Valhalla 2 just puts a smile on my face, I swap tubes to music and enjoy the experience. Yet as I wait for my Ragnarok's return (wouldn't turn on), I know I'll benefit from going from Modi to Gungnir DS for the Rag balanced would be great and I can upgrade later if I get the itch instead of buying a new DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back