Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 27, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,221 of 7,161
  True! I really really enjoy my DS Gungnir. So I am ok with the fact that the multibit has not landed i europe yet.

I'm not 
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,222 of 7,161
Any comparisons to the 2Qute yet? :p

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #2,223 of 7,161
From my experience after 150 hours of burn in and having lived with the D/S Gungnir for the past year, there is no question that the GMB is worth the cost of admission. The GMB offers a new level of resolution that results in instruments and voices having a more natural and believable tonality...which for me, equals a more enjoyable experience listening to music. Plus I have a nice little sticker on the back that D/S owners don't have. :beerchug:

Now, the question becomes if one has the means is the upgrade from GMB to yggy justifiable? Reddog?
If one has the money and wants a very detailed, natural sounding dac, that is very musical too, then go for the Yggdrasil. However. The Gumby presents great value, for the money. The gumby sounds pretty detailed and transparent but not as musical sounding as the Yggy. If I was on a budget, I would not hesitate to get the GMB. However if you can afford a dac that is so musical and yet so bloody detailed and faithful to the music go for the Yggy.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #2,226 of 7,161
If one has the money and wants a very detailed, natural sounding dac, that is very musical too, then go for the Yggdrasil. However. The Gumby presents great value, for the money. The gumby sounds pretty detailed and transparent but not as musical sounding as the Yggy. If I was on a budget, I would not hesitate to get the GMB. However if you can afford a dac that is so musical and yet so bloody detailed and faithful to the music go for the Yggy.

Don't tell that to my wallet!! LOL! I'd have to get FOUR of 'em to complement my all active 2-channel system.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #2,227 of 7,161
Aug 27, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2,228 of 7,161
Aug 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #2,229 of 7,161
Cancel the LC and buy the M2? :grinning:

I have heard both amps with the Gumby and I haven't ordered an M2. Just saying...

Hi,

Just wonder GMB is a big improvement over Audio GD DAC 19 10th Annivesarry ?

Sonically, no, its not. Sonically they're very similar with subtle "flavor" differences. My writeup is incoming tonight hopefully.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,230 of 7,161
Aug 27, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2,231 of 7,161
I kind of nice to see this type of excitement for DAC technology. It was always going to be how to get to the next level sonically. The yggy is certainly on my radar, but it would be a big stretch get there financially plus the wait is pretty substantial I believe. 

I love what I'm hearing from the GMB. It would be very difficult for me to give it up now that it's burned in and giving this level of aural bliss. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #2,232 of 7,161
I kind of nice to see this type of excitement for DAC technology. It was always going to be how to get to the next level sonically. The yggy is certainly on my radar, but it would be a big stretch get there financially plus the wait is pretty substantial I believe. 

I love what I'm hearing from the GMB. It would be very difficult for me to give it up now that it's burned in and giving this level of aural bliss. 

+1 Well said sir.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #2,234 of 7,161
I have heard both amps with the Gumby and I haven't ordered an M2. Just saying...
Sonically, no, its not. Sonically they're very similar with subtle "flavor" differences. My writeup is incoming tonight hopefully.

Where will this writeup be posted? I'm very curious since my next DAC is probably gonna be either GMB or Audio GD DAC 19 10th Annivesarry. Does the DAC 19 also work with USB? 

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #2,235 of 7,161

Where will this writeup be posted? I'm very curious since my next DAC is probably gonna be either GMB or Audio GD DAC 19 10th Annivesarry. Does the DAC 19 also work with USB? 

I was going to do a big "shootout" kind of writeup of the two but decided against that format.  It kinda sucks because there's always a winner and loser of a shootout and both of these are fantastic DAC's.  So instead I'm going to write up two full reviews and mention some comparisons in each review.

Until then, I'll probably list out some bullet points on pros and cons for folks who are champing at the bit.  Not sure where yet, maybe in the LC DAC thread since that seems like a nice impartial location.  :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back