Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 21, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #2,041 of 7,058
popcorn.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #2,043 of 7,058
  Does anyone know when Schiit Europe will have the MBG in stock?

I asked them if - and when - they were ready to upgrade  - and got an answer yesterdays: 

"Yes we will be able to do this, I expect a price of 450 -500 euro, but we need to receive the items first etc. Nobody has them so far in EU, but we expect them in a few days till weeks.  the upgrade section on our website will be updated when possible..."

But they will contact my as soon as they are ready to do the upgrade. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,044 of 7,058
  My GungMB got here at lunch time. Been warming it up for about three hours now. Impressions to follow...

Nice! Popcorn time! 
popcorn.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #2,045 of 7,058
FWIW - I burned my Gungnir MB in initially for 12 hours and listened for while. It sounded great. Then I turned it off for the night.

Today I powered it on and began listening within 10 minutes of power up. It sounded great. I couldn't tell any difference. 

It may be exaggeration that you should leave it on constantly. I don't plan to do that, especially if I know I won't use it in say 12 hours or something like that. 

Amp: Mjolnir 2 w/LISST's

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #2,046 of 7,058
My GungMB got here at lunch time. Been warming it up for about three hours now. Impressions to follow...

Looking forward to your impressions sir.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #2,047 of 7,058
Is that a hot plate I see under one of the new GMBs?

On a serious note, my upgrade took 1 business day to turn around from receiving on Schiitt's end. Of course this may get worse if more upgrade requests come in. Unfortunately, once you get the notice to ship, you no longer can see the queue so I have no idea how many more they received after the 12th order.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #2,049 of 7,058
Now I finally got the Gungnir MB but it won't work with my Macbook. My decade-old PC does find it, but whatever I do on my Mac, it won't recognize the Gungnir. The Schiit support says to do an SMC reset and to use an externally powered USB hub, but all that doesn't seem to work. This is the first time I ever had problems with a DAC though. Has anyone else had similar problems and managed to resolve it? 

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,050 of 7,058
Mine arrives next week and I will be using it with a MacPro and a MacBookPro so I hope you work this out.

It is sort of surprising since I have never had a problem with macs recognizing USB devices. 

Does it play on an iPhone or iPod set-up for digital output?  Just curious, knowing this won't help your problem.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #2,051 of 7,058

They've been plugged in for less than an hour so no formal opinions yet. I'll just say so far I LIKE them. :)

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,052 of 7,058

They've been plugged in for less than an hour so no formal opinions yet. I'll just say so far I LIKE them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice
beerchug.gif

Looks like you have socket savers in the MJ2???

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #2,053 of 7,058

They've been plugged in for less than an hour so no formal opinions yet. I'll just say so far I LIKE them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hate to tell you, but you got a lot of Schitt on your desk!

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #2,054 of 7,058
  Now I finally got the Gungnir MB but it won't work with my Macbook. My decade-old PC does find it, but whatever I do on my Mac, it won't recognize the Gungnir. The Schiit support says to do an SMC reset and to use an externally powered USB hub, but all that doesn't seem to work. This is the first time I ever had problems with a DAC though. Has anyone else had similar problems and managed to resolve it? 

Mine arrives next week and I will be using it with a MacPro and a MacBookPro so I hope you work this out.

It is sort of surprising since I have never had a problem with macs recognizing USB devices. 

Does it play on an iPhone or iPod set-up for digital output?  Just curious, knowing this won't help your problem.

I too will be doing the majority of my testing, when my Gungnir Multibit arrives next week, on a MacBook from 2008. Everything I have plugged into it thus far has been simply plug-and-play.

And I suspect I will not have an issue as my current Bifrost Uber works fine.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,055 of 7,058
  I too will be doing the majority of my testing, when my Gungnir Multibit arrives next week, on a MacBook from 2008. Everything I have plugged into it thus far has been simply plug-and-play.

And I suspect I will not have an issue as my current Bifrost Uber works fine.

Pretty sure that Schitt re-programmed the USB card inside the GMB so it can communicate what bit rates it supports to Mac OS. This was something I was wondering myself - does the new GMB still display 24/192 like the old model or does R2R DACs display something completely different? I am a little worried too that something may not work without a driver in Mac OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back