Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jun 12, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,937 of 7,050

Is that like the audio quest dragonfly which claims volume control in the analog domain using windows/mac digital volume control?

Nope, totally different.

The Dragonfly doesn't use an R-2R DAC, some DAC's do have analog or digital volume controls built-in (the same box), but that's not the DAC itself. The DAC's that do simply have the output volume/voltage being controlled before it leaves the output jacks by a volume pot or a chip. Hope that makes sense, trying to post this with half a dozen people talking at the same time and it's making it difficult to think. <grin>  In other words just because a D/A Converter has a volume control, be it analog or digital doesn't make it an R-2R Ladder DAC. They are VERY few and far between...I can't think of another one off the top of my head. 

The last R-2R DAC I had was in the 90's...a Monarchy 22A. Can't recall the exact DAC chips it used, they were Burr-Brown "something" PK versions. It's been too long. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,938 of 7,050
I was wondering is any Gungnir owners have tried using an iPad/iPhone as an input for this DAC?  If it did work I'm assuming it would be with Apple's CCK adapter.  I'd like to be able to play hi-res stuff using the Onkyo App.

I ask because I'm debating on DACs and I just found out the Matrix X-Sabre can go this route...

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,939 of 7,050
I was wondering is any Gungnir owners have tried using an iPad/iPhone as an input for this DAC?  If it did work I'm assuming it would be with Apple's CCK adapter.  I'd like to be able to play hi-res stuff using the Onkyo App.

I ask because I'm debating on DACs and I just found out the Matrix X-Sabre can go this route...

I don't own the gungnir, but I have the a bifrost and modi and tried it with the fulla, and yes the CCK adapter works on all of them. Jason even mentioned this on the website. It's super handy and it's awesome to not have to turn on your computer to listen to music... I simply lounge on my couch and use my phone and spotify app to listen.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #1,940 of 7,050
I don't own the gungnir, but I have the a bifrost and modi and tried it with the fulla, and yes the CCK adapter works on all of them. Jason even mentioned this on the website. It's super handy and it's awesome to not have to turn on your computer to listen to music... I simply lounge on my couch and use my phone and spotify app to listen.

Oh I see it now on the Schiit web page, thanks.

Do you listen to hi res stuff that way too?  Onkyo app or something similar?

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,941 of 7,050
Oh I see it now on the Schiit web page, thanks.

Do you listen to hi res stuff that way too?  Onkyo app or something similar?

I use a stream service that gives me 320 kbps, but I could easily play anything out of my phone. The cable simply bypasses the DAC and feeds the schiit wyrd I have (so I don't get the power draw warning) which finally inputs to the bifrost.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,942 of 7,050
I use a stream service that gives me 320 kbps, but I could easily play anything out of my phone. The cable simply bypasses the DAC and feeds the schiit wyrd I have (so I don't get the power draw warning) which finally inputs to the bifrost.

Just tried CCK from my iPhone to Gen 2 USB on my Gungnir and it works. No need for Wryd or powered hub. Per my Mac system info the power draw is only 100 mA which is right at the max CCK will allow.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,943 of 7,050
Just tried CCK from my iPhone to Gen 2 USB on my Gungnir and it works. No need for Wryd or powered hub. Per my Mac system info the power draw is only 100 mA which is right at the max CCK will allow.

Oh good to know! I've always had the wyrd around, so might as well use it. It does wonders for my lower tier USB DACs, but I never blind tested the bifrost uber with it.

But it does allow me to "extend" my USB cord without having to really physically extend it, if you know what I mean :grinning:

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,945 of 7,050
Any info on the Gungnir upgrade, time wise? Will it use the same r2r dacs that the yggy does?

Darko from DAR has reported that Jason told him that the Gungnir boards have been completed, so it's only a matter of time (late this year???). And with the successful implementation of the AD5791bruz chip in Yggdrasil, I don't see why they wouldn't keep the same DAC chip in Gungnir. Very exciting news!

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #1,946 of 7,050
Darko from DAR has reported that Jason told him that the Gungnir boards have been completed, so it's only a matter of time (late this year???). And with the successful implementation of the AD5791bruz chip in Yggdrasil, I don't see why they wouldn't keep the same DAC chip in Gungnir. Very exciting news!

Do you think it will get a USB update too?

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #1,947 of 7,050

It pays to be calm and wait, this is great news indeed.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,948 of 7,050
I just don't see how they can bring much across.  The DAC board is much larger than the Gungnir/Bifrost ones and needs the DSP board to even work.  The USB3 should be plug and play though.  Guess we'll see sometime later in the year.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,949 of 7,050
I just don't see how they can bring much across.  The DAC board is much larger than the Gungnir/Bifrost ones and needs the DSP board to even work.  The USB3 should be plug and play though.  Guess we'll see sometime later in the year.

Haha. Yeah, that part boggles my mind too. It'll be very interesting to see how they'll fit all that yggy on a DAC card, or perhaps, they might be building a new board from the ground up? Who knows. Whatever happens, I'm sure minds will be blown nonetheless.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,950 of 7,050

If Tera Player can squeeze an R2R DAC into the size of a matchbook, I'm sure Schiit can do something inside the Gungnir and Bifrost chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back