Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 30, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,621 of 7,049
  I'm thinking since tech support said it would work that's the way I would go. You can always return it if it doesn't work. However I feel like it makes logical sense. The Gungnir is their top DAC but I don't see the difference between the desktops USB and the laptops USB unless it's 1.0 if that's the case then you need a motherboard that supports usb 2.0 or 3.0 It also could be a problem with foobar. Try messing around with different usb ports on the laptop if you haven't already and if all fails just try out the Wyrd you can always take it back.

How do you like the Gungnir? I'm about to purchase some T200c's and will need a DAC because my audio source is trash coming from my computer. Not sure if I would be fine with just the Modi or not. Not really looking at the Bifrost because after adding the upgrades to it its close in price to the Gungnir and I would really appreciate the balanced XLR ports as balanced is better than unbalanced and my speakers will support it. Plus an additional out for a sub that I may get in the future.

Exactly why you should get the Gungnir. IME, the Bifrost Uber is a little grainer than the Gungnir as well.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #1,622 of 7,049
Exactly why you should get the Gungnir. IME, the Bifrost Uber is a little grainer than the Gungnir as well.

Just get the Gungnir. My logic for skipping over the Uberfrost was similar to yours, and I have so far been quite pleased with its sound, an upgrade very noticeable coming from the Modi.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,625 of 7,049
It seems as if my post somehow got lost...I've been noticing some glitches lately. If it still appears to you, I apologize for double posting.

Does anyone here use the Pure i20 iPod dock to feed the Gungnir?  If so, does it run in "buy better gear mode" or the better alternative? In other words, how good is the timing the i20 sends to the DAC?

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #1,626 of 7,049
Ok my fellow Head-fiers I dearly need your help/input because I'm not familiar with all of the DAC differences so please help me out.

I have a Teac PD-H600 CD player with a built in DAC.  I will paste the specifications below; therefore my question is :  based on the specs is the built in DAC as good as a Schiit Gungnir or even a Bifrost Uber or is it worth getting one of the two Schiit DACs.

The DAC is a Burr Brown PCM1796 D/A converter, a 192kHz/24-bit component
  1. Compatible Discs: CD-DA, CD-R/RW, MP3, WMA
  2. Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20,000Hz (±0.5dB)
  3. Total Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.003% (1kHz)
  4. Signal-to-Noise Ratio: more than 110dB (1kHz, 0dB, A weight)
  5. D/A Converter: 24bit/192kHz Delta-sigma (PCM1796)
  6. Oversampling Rate: 8-times

Would even the Bifrost Uber DAC outperform the Burr Brown built-in DAC in my CD player ?

Thanks.     
popcorn.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #1,627 of 7,049
  It seems as if my post somehow got lost...I've been noticing some glitches lately. If it still appears to you, I apologize for double posting.

Does anyone here use the Pure i20 iPod dock to feed the Gungnir?  If so, does it run in "buy better gear mode" or the better alternative? In other words, how good is the timing the i20 sends to the DAC?

It is not good enough, the sound is better from my macbook pro than pure I20. The sound with pure as transport is a bit bright and mids are recessed. Also, the sound is different if you use ipod nano (gen 4), iphone 4, or iphone 4s. Don't ask me why ... sorry for my english.  

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #1,628 of 7,049
It is not as good as the Biofrost/Biofrost Uber/Gungnir if I were you I would get the Biofrost Uber unless you plan on using balanced XLR connections. Then get the Gungnir. The best part about buying audio equipment is that it last a long time and with Schiits upper end DACs theyre upgradeable. Plus the DAC is somewhat portable. Not the carry it with you while going for a run for your iPhone and IEMs but portable as in not built into the CD player so you can use it on multiple devices.
But yes from what I read on the Biofrost Uber and Gungnir they are the equivalent to DACs 3 times their price. By the way the Biofrost Uber is basically the same thing as the gungnir without the XLR outputs. And theres some other small things too im not sure. Like power output

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #1,629 of 7,049

It is not good enough, the sound is better from my macbook pro than pure I20. The sound with pure as transport is a bit bright and mids are recessed. Also, the sound is different if you use ipod nano (gen 4), iphone 4, or iphone 4s. Don't ask me why ... sorry for my english.  

Thanks for the info.  When outputting the i20 into the Gungnir, is it running in VCXO mode or VCO mode?

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,630 of 7,049
Could I use the Gungnir DAC with my laptop through a simple usb plug?  

I have been considering buying the Wa7 Fireflies amp/dac combo by Woo Audio but I am not sure if the quality will be that great (from the DAC).  Would you guys recommend instead going with the Gungnir + amp?  I am using AKG K712 pro's

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,631 of 7,049
Could I use the Gungnir DAC with my laptop through a simple usb plug?  

I have been considering buying the Wa7 Fireflies amp/dac combo by Woo Audio but I am not sure if the quality will be that great (from the DAC).  Would you guys recommend instead going with the Gungnir + amp?  I am using AKG K712 pro's

The only reason I would buy the wa7 would be for an all in one solution, it's dac is not as bad as people say it is. And what is the point of an aesthetically pleasing and space saving solution if you add redundant items to it

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,632 of 7,049
The only reason I would buy the wa7 would be for an all in one solution, it's dac is not as bad as people say it is. And what is the point of an aesthetically pleasing and space saving solution if you add redundant items to it

So the DAC on the Gungnir would definitely be better than the Wa7 for the AKG K712 pro's then you think?  Also, would I be able to use it with a simple usb output from my computer? Just trying to figure out how to use this, looks like tons of inputs and outputs and I am new to this stuff.  A recommendation for an amp to pair with the Gungnir would also be appreciated.  Mjolnir is intriguing because it is solid state but I have no experience with tube amps

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #1,635 of 7,049
Tonight I unplugged my gungnir for the first time in 7 months and hooked my modi back up just to see if the modi was a "good enough" dac and maybe I should just sell the gungnir but was very surprised how much sound quality I lost using the modi. The modi was my only dac for over a year I used it with the magni for over 200 hours and the vali for 150+ hours and always thought it sounded good but now I think I would just as soon go back to plugging straight out of my iPod touch for the convenience rather than go back to the modi. The modi is a great $99 dac it's just to me the point of a desktop rig it to be clearly better than a DAP not just a little better in other words the gungnir is here to stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back