Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jul 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,503 of 7,049
Hello hope everyone is well. I have a friend who has offered to sell me his oppo bpd 103 for cheap, can I hook this unit up to a gungnir, and use the gungnir dac, instead of the oppo's dac?. Thanks.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,504 of 7,049
Hello hope everyone is well. I have a friend who has offered to sell me his oppo bpd 103 for cheap, can I hook this unit up to a gungnir, and use the gungnir dac, instead of the oppo's dac?. Thanks.

Yes, it has multiple digital outs. You could use basically any DAC but specifically yes, you can use the Gungnir.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,505 of 7,049
Thanks for the information, I will most likely pick up the oppo 103:D.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,506 of 7,049
So I just got a Gungnir after switching from a DA8 and have a bit of a problem.  When I run it balanced using XLR interconnects and a 4 pin XLR out for my headphones, the left and right channels get inverted.  However, when I use the same balanced interconnects with a single ended headphone, the L & R channels become normal again.  The single ended out is also normal when I use regular RCA cables (as it should be).  I haven't had this problem with my DA8 and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the Gungnir.  My setup is:

iMac=>Gungnir==>Master 9==>Balanced HE-560

Any help would be great.  Thanks!

Edit:  I also checked the cables several times, everything is in it's proper place.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,508 of 7,049
By inverted I mean that the sound from the left and right channels have been switched.  On another note, if you use balanced interconnects between a fully balanced DAC and amp, would you get this channel inversion when plugging in a single ended headphone (e.g. 1/4th connector).

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,509 of 7,049
If the channels are swapped that would be the headphone cable or the M9 cabling.  Everything on the Gungnir is surface mount, no hand soldering.  The Audio-GD is hand soldered.   Without a 4pin to trs adapter it would be difficult to tell which it is.  The Gungnir it is not though.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #1,510 of 7,049
Thanks for the reply Solude.  Yea, I contacted Schiit and they gave me the same response so it's most likely not the gungnir.  For now I just swapped the channels via software on the computer so it's fine.  Although I was still just curious as to why a headphone connected via single ended, does not have the channels swapped when the M9 and Gungnir are connected using balanced cables.  The channels would be swapped when I would do this using my old Yulong DA8.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,512 of 7,049
Meaning with the DA8 connected in balanced mode with the M9, the single headphone is NOT fine, the L and R channels are inverted.  The balanced headphone is fine though (as it should be?). 

I guess what I'm trying ask is if this is normal for a balanced setup, or should a single ended headphone not have channel inversion when plugged into a balanced setup.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #1,513 of 7,049
  So I just got a Gungnir after switching from a DA8 and have a bit of a problem.  When I run it balanced using XLR interconnects and a 4 pin XLR out for my headphones, the left and right channels get inverted.  However, when I use the same balanced interconnects with a single ended headphone, the L & R channels become normal again.  The single ended out is also normal when I use regular RCA cables (as it should be).  I haven't had this problem with my DA8 and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the Gungnir.  My setup is:

iMac=>Gungnir==>Master 9==>Balanced HE-560

Any help would be great.  Thanks!

Edit:  I also checked the cables several times, everything is in it's proper place.

Granted everything in the chain is as it should be... why don't you just swap the cable entries going into the HE-560?

If you can get a multimeter (which you should try to get just to have one around) you can check for continuity of your cables.  It's also pretty easy to undo the jackets on an XLR cable to check how it's wired if you don't have a multimeter... should be pins 1 Shield 2 (+/hot) 3 (-/cold) for the most part.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #1,514 of 7,049
Yea, switching the cable entries was another solution, I just opted to switch the channels via software (midi app, J-river ect.).  I'm not sure if this is a worse option. 

I'll take your advice on getting a multimeter, should come in handy, thanks Mr.Sneis.

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,515 of 7,049
Well, fellas, it'll soon be time for me to receive my Gungnir in the mail directly from Schiit via Amazon. I got the USB version, and will be using that connection primarily. I will be using a Windows 7 PC ----> USB ----> Gungnir ----> Bottlehead Crack (Speedplay) ----> Sennheiser HD-650s. I was wondering if anyone here uses this combo, and how it works for them. Please drop a line with impressions, suggestions, potential hurdles etc. A couple of years ago, I had an LCD 2 Rev. 2 coupled with a Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA/DAC. I really enjoyed that setup but had to take a hiatus from it due to travel. Now, I am back, looking to obtain that same level of sound, but economically smarter. Reading the comments on here and around the web, I get the impression the Gungnir should punch above its price point to the level of the Isabellina DAC. I also suspect it will have the same sound signature; very organic, realistic timbre, great palpable mid-range, tamed highs. Any input would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back