Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jun 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #1,487 of 7,049
Jun 6, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,488 of 7,049

Maybe not, but why let a bug in your head?

So funny, and so true. Just wondering if there might be a difference can really detract from the joy! No wonder audio bliss is so expensive. I would be willing to bet that detecting non-bit perfect would be extremely challenging for anybody, but why bother trying?

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #1,489 of 7,049
just to update everyone on my situation, my replacement Gungnir has arrived and i've used it (the same way i did before) and i've had no issues with that buzzing or any disconnects or any USB power issues with this one.  i think i'll keep it!

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,490 of 7,049
just to update everyone on my situation, my replacement Gungnir has arrived and i've used it (the same way i did before) and i've had no issues with that buzzing or any disconnects or any USB power issues with this one.  i think i'll keep it!

Great news, how does she sound?

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,491 of 7,049
It sounds clearer and has ALOT more separation than my well used ODAC. I'm not used to so much separation. There also is much less bass. It also required me to turn up the volume on my amp quite a bit to achieve the same sound, but I'm getting used to it.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,492 of 7,049
It sounds clearer and has ALOT more separation than my well used ODAC. I'm not used to so much separation. There also is much less bass. It also required me to turn up the volume on my amp quite a bit to achieve the same sound, but I'm getting used to it.

What is the output of the ODAC, is it higher that the Schiit's 2V?

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,493 of 7,049
I think it's 2.0v. I got it from http://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac/

One other thing I noticed is when I play music via audirvana I can not control the volume from the computer. It's locked. If I just play in iTunes I can adjust volume. What's up with that?

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #1,494 of 7,049
I think it's 2.0v. I got it from http://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac/

One other thing I noticed is when I play music via audirvana I can not control the volume from the computer. It's locked. If I just play in iTunes I can adjust volume. What's up with that?

If you want a bitperfect output to your DAC, your digital volume has to remain locked at 100%.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #1,495 of 7,049
Is anyone currently running their Gungnir through a USB hub without issue? Due to my setup, I really need to use a hub, but my current hub is sending frequent clicks through the audio chain. I'm using the older version of D-Link's DUB-H7, pictured below. I'm positive it's not my cables or the Gungnir itself (tested in various configurations, confirming it's the hub). 

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced hub ($40 or below) that you know provides clean power to the Gungnir? Or should I just wait for the arrival of the Wyrd, since this is exactly what it's supposed to clear up?

Thanks guys!

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,496 of 7,049
Why wouldn't you wait for the wyrd?  it seems perfect for what you need and Schiit's done pretty good at bumping new releases in short order.  The ifi iusb is twice as much and would probably get the job done today; not in the budget I suppose!

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,497 of 7,049
  Why wouldn't you wait for the wyrd?  it seems perfect for what you need and Schiit's done pretty good at bumping new releases in short order.  The ifi iusb is twice as much and would probably get the job done today; not in the budget I suppose!

My reaction exactly. I've made do without a hub for so long...waiting for that Wyrd (and don't we love the name !!)

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #1,498 of 7,049
Yup, you guys are right. The Wyrd will likely fit the bill. I don't mind being one of the guinea pigs.
cool.gif
 Thanks!

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,499 of 7,049
I have a question, I heard Mike Moffat say that the Gungnir has a total of four DACs in there (one DAC per phase, per channel), but as far as I know spec-wise it's listed with two AKM4399s. I don't know much about how these things work so can someone explain to me what that is so?

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,500 of 7,049
  I have a question, I heard Mike Moffat say that the Gungnir has a total of four DACs in there (one DAC per phase, per channel), but as far as I know spec-wise it's listed with two AKM4399s. I don't know much about how these things work so can someone explain to me what that is so?

It has two (2) AKM4399s, which are stereo (2 channel) DACs. Ergo, 4 channels. 

Is that what you were asking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back