Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #1,381 of 7,050
I agree with what your hearing, I've had mine over a year now and grow more and more impressed with it. The only reason I would considering changing it is out curiosity of the statement dac but even then I don't see how they can extract much more detail.

Exactly how I feel. I've had the Gungnir for about 8 months and honestly I don't know how it could be improved upon enough to justify replacing it. From my ES5 CIEMs to my newly acquired LCD-3, I don't know how much the Gungnir could be improved upon.

I'm curious how the reviews on the statement DAC will compare.

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,383 of 7,050
  The Gungnir is a fine DAC but you guys need to stretch out your DAC legs a bit more!  Detail retrieval is OK but can be much better in other DACs.

I agree... Be curious if anyone else here has the iDSD as well as the Gungnir, and what their impressions of each of them are...

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #1,385 of 7,050
Honest question: Why should I buy the Gungnir over the Emotiva DC-1? B Stock DC-1 are at $400 shipped from Emotiva. I have a USB to SPDIF convertor so I don't need the USB version of the Gungnir, but that's still a few hundred more than the Emotiva. I'd be pairing it with a La Figaro 339 and HE-500...

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,386 of 7,050
  Honest question: Why should I buy the Gungnir over the Emotiva DC-1? B Stock DC-1 are at $400 shipped from Emotiva. I have a USB to SPDIF convertor so I don't need the USB version of the Gungnir, but that's still a few hundred more than the Emotiva. I'd be pairing it with a La Figaro 339 and HE-500...

That's a good question, I hope someone who understands some of the technicalities between these two DAC's can jump in.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,387 of 7,050

I've compared the Gungnir with the DC-1 and they're both excellent DACs. If Emotiva has B-stock DC-1's for $400--that's a great deal. The Gungnir has a nicer chassis, and both the DAC and USB boards are upgradeable. The DC-1 can be used as a preamp and also has an amp (albeit crappy) built in.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #1,388 of 7,050
One more question! How is the Gen2 USB implementation on the Gungnir compared to my MF VLink 192? Or should I just go with the non-USB version and coax to the Gungnir via the VLink? Is it a $100 different?

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,389 of 7,050
That is actually the key. Haven't heard the DC-1, but I've heard the prior XDA line and I'd take Bifrost over 'em. Never been a fan of converters and the Gen 2 USB has stepped up the performance.
So to me, Gun seems like the clear choice.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,391 of 7,050
Then you may want to listen to the DC1.

I personally have no interest in the Emotiva DAcs. Plus, comparatively I simply like the AKM sound. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #1,392 of 7,050
One more question! How is the Gen2 USB implementation on the Gungnir compared to my MF VLink 192? Or should I just go with the non-USB version and coax to the Gungnir via the VLink? Is it a $100 different?

I would recommend getting the USB version. Its also board swappable down the road if Schitt decides to make upgrades.

Not apples to apples, but I preferred the Gungnir's USB to the original V-Link into the Gung. The MF reduced dynamics and resolution.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #1,393 of 7,050
Has anyone tried the IFI USB power supply with the Gungnir? Does is make a positive difference? I am worred that the Shiit USB board is powered by my computer instead of using the power supply of the Gungnir.

Everyone knows a computer power supply is very dirty. Not sure why they would have designed it that way. Are most USB boards in DAC's powered by the computer? I found this out by another post I read. I then turned the unit off then plugged in the USB cable. It would detect and load the driver even though the unit was off. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #1,394 of 7,050
  Has anyone tried the IFI USB power supply with the Gungnir? Does is make a positive difference? I am worred that the Shiit USB board is powered by my computer instead of using the power supply of the Gungnir.

Everyone knows a computer power supply is very dirty. Not sure why they would have designed it that way. Are most USB boards in DAC's powered by the computer? I found this out by another post I read. I then turned the unit off then plugged in the USB cable. It would detect and load the driver even though the unit was off. 

Since only the USB portion of Gungnir is powered by USB (digital to digital, before feeding it to the DAC), it likely doesn't matter much/at all how clean the USB power is. It's not like they're running the gain stage off of USB power.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #1,395 of 7,050
I hate to say it, but I have the Gungnir with the gen 2 USB and the iFi iDSD, and the iDSD sounds MUCH better. I kick myself for it in some ways, but I have subbed the Gungnir in and out several times, and the iDSD is just MUCH more natural. The Gungnir sits in a corner. I refuse to sell it because I like to put it back in every so often just to convince myself that I'm not hallucinating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back