Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jul 8, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #5,131 of 7,081
Pic would be of me eagerly awaiting my new unit.. already sold my Bifrost, too. :)

Jul 9, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #5,132 of 7,081
Mind if you tell me where you sold your Bifrost? I have an Uber I need to sell to help defray the cost of my Gungnir upgrade. Available immediately.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #5,134 of 7,081
Finally got the Gumby today. Think I powered it up around 5 hours ago. Right off the bat I was unimpressed but I've seen it stated repeatedly that the Gumby needs quite some time being powered on uninterrupted to work as intended, to the tune of around five days. My expectation is that in addition to the energy, impact, and relative clarity I got from Mimby + Jotunheim I'll get a further dimension of separation and soundstage with the possibility of other improvements (i.e. surprise and impress me, it is after all a move up from $250 to $1250). I'm a little pleasantly surprised at the moment as either it's placebo or after 4-5 hours of being powered on with music running the sound has already improved (the Jot has also been completely unpowered for around two weeks). For the first time with any of the devices I've been using I think I'm starting to hear a bit of a soundstage, sound having a bit of a 3D quality. I think perceived separation is better too. I feel better surrounded and more into the music with an incipient comparison to being there, which is a first for me. What should I expect over the coming week? I'm hoping I'm not close to peaking. I'm not quite getting the energy and impact from before (Mimby + Jot), uncertain about the clarity.

I'm using an LCD-X with a single-ended cable while the Gumby and Jot are balanced. I currently have an HD800S with a balanced cable in my possession that I intend to return soon but can use for reference. Will be buying a balanced cable for the LCD-X- Norne Solvine unless someone has a better suggestion.

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #5,135 of 7,081
If you're on the fence about keeping it most of the improvement is in the first 24/36 hours. Then there's a long tail.

At least, that was my experience with speakers.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #5,137 of 7,081
Finally got the Gumby today. Think I powered it up around 5 hours ago. Right off the bat I was unimpressed but I've seen it stated repeatedly that the Gumby needs quite some time being powered on uninterrupted to work as intended, to the tune of around five days. My expectation is that in addition to the energy, impact, and relative clarity I got from Mimby + Jotunheim I'll get a further dimension of separation and soundstage with the possibility of other improvements (i.e. surprise and impress me, it is after all a move up from $250 to $1250). I'm a little pleasantly surprised at the moment as either it's placebo or after 4-5 hours of being powered on with music running the sound has already improved (the Jot has also been completely unpowered for around two weeks). For the first time with any of the devices I've been using I think I'm starting to hear a bit of a soundstage, sound having a bit of a 3D quality. I think perceived separation is better too. I feel better surrounded and more into the music with an incipient comparison to being there, which is a first for me. What should I expect over the coming week? I'm hoping I'm not close to peaking. I'm not quite getting the energy and impact from before (Mimby + Jot), uncertain about the clarity.

I'm using an LCD-X with a single-ended cable while the Gumby and Jot are balanced. I currently have an HD800S with a balanced cable in my possession that I intend to return soon but can use for reference. Will be buying a balanced cable for the LCD-X- Norne Solvine unless someone has a better suggestion.
I agree with @artur9 ... after a couple days warm the GMB will sound magnificent.
As for balanced LCD-X cables, the Wywires Red are a decent choice.
Talk to Alex. http://www.wywires.com/headphone-cables/

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #5,141 of 7,081
Has there been any rumour or evidence that a GMB2 is actually in the works?
After whiney reactions from some Yggy owners who thought they should be entitled to a free upgrade, there has been talk that if Gumby is updated, it would be a silent upgrade and ship for a year before being announced (with Yggy the upgrade shipped silently for 3 months before announcement).

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #5,142 of 7,081
After whiney reactions from some Yggy owners who thought they should be entitled to a free upgrade, there has been talk that if Gumby is updated, it would be a silent upgrade and ship for a year before being announced (with Yggy the upgrade shipped silently for 3 months before announcement).
Interesting, I don't remember that discussion. Can you post a link for us?

Jul 13, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #5,143 of 7,081
Yes, if there have been "whiney Yggdrasil owners who felt they deserved a free upgrade," then they haven't been whining on the Schiit forums I follow. And if anyone felt they deserved a free upgrade, then they did not pay attention to information on the Schiit website. "Upgradable" equipment does not mean "free upgrades."

Jul 13, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #5,145 of 7,081
Softer as in not as strong. It's not quite loudness but sort of. Single ended.
It's the soundstage opening up as the analog section attains thermal equilibrium.
Will continue for 2-3 days then settle down. The end effect will be more realistic SQ. Enjoy!!

ps. Keep it warm at all times. Just turned on :) no music required...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back