Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #303 of 1,697
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/cable-plus-a2r/

Will this supercharged F2? Itching to try:grimacing:

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #304 of 1,697
Ordered my Fulla 2 last Thursday, and immediately got an email that there would be a shipping delay due to them waiting on the arrival of parts..... Today I got an email that my Fulla has shipped! So far their communication with the customer is outstanding.... looking forward to the arrival.

Hey, Bellsystem.... Congrats on your purchase.... I have the exact same laptop AND the same Cans, and believe it or not, my first song played on the DT-770's and Fulla 2 will be Pink-Floyd ish... (David Gilmour's Pocket Full of Stones). What program do you use to re-import your music in FLAC and play back through your USB? I haven't started this task yet... still using iTunes with Apple Lossless

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #305 of 1,697
Well, I've been listening to the Fulla 2 off and on over the past few days and so far, I'm pretty impressed by what it offers for $100 bucks. 

I think that it is an amazingly good USB DAC that has been combined with an only moderately good amp section.

While I'm sure there is nothing technically wrong with the amp section, it just sounds a bit thin and overdamped to me.  But this could actually be a good thing if you are using somewhat thick sounding headphones like the NightHawk or the MDR-Z7.

But when I connected its line-out to either my Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber, the sound took on a noticeably more full-bodied presentation while still having incredible amounts of detail and soundstage, which is especially impressive for such an inexpensive DAC.

On a scale of 1-to-10 and considering it's price, I'd give the DAC section a 9.5 and its amp section a 7.5

​Overall, I think Schiit has a real winner with the Fulla 2.  For $100, you get a great 'Lil' Schiit Starter Kit' that sounds pretty good when used just as a DAC/Amp, but it will continue to sound better and better once you connect it's fantastic DAC to the upgraded amp(s) of your choice.
Congrats, Schiit Audio!  This Lil' Schiit's a keeper!
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #306 of 1,697

But when I connected its line-out to either my Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber, the sound took on a noticeably more full-bodied presentation while still having incredible amounts of detail and soundstage, which is especially impressive for such an inexpensive DAC.

Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber are DACs... I think you mean your Magni 2 :)

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #307 of 1,697
Dec 20, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #308 of 1,697
Ordered my Fulla 2 last Thursday, and immediately got an email that there would be a shipping delay due to them waiting on the arrival of parts..... Today I got an email that my Fulla has shipped! So far their communication with the customer is outstanding.... looking forward to the arrival.

Hey, Bellsystem.... Congrats on your purchase.... I have the exact same laptop AND the same Cans, and believe it or not, my first song played on the DT-770's and Fulla 2 will be Pink-Floyd ish... (David Gilmour's Pocket Full of Stones). What program do you use to re-import your music in FLAC and play back through your USB? I haven't started this task yet... still using iTunes with Apple Lossless

I use db Poweramp to rip cds. It is fantastic with its accurip implementation and Metadata library. Well worth the money.

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #309 of 1,697

However, it was purchased with the intention of primarily driving my new Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250-ohm) cans. Now that I'm home, I'm putting it through the paces with the Beyers.

I was planning to buy the fulla2 to use with my dt990 pro 250 ohm also ! whnen u turn it to 12 oclock is the sound loud ?
i guess mine should play the same as yours since its same impedance

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #310 of 1,697

I was planning to buy the fulla2 to use with my dt990 pro 250 ohm also ! whnen u turn it to 12 oclock is the sound loud ?
i guess mine should play the same as yours since its same impedance

My experience is it varies, I gave it a run with my DT990 600 Ohm. for some albums that were mastered on the Loud Side 12 O Clock was borderline to loud . On other albums I went up to 4. O clock which still leaves a little left on the pot. The Fulla 2 is way more capable than it looks. 
  Well, I've been listening to the Fulla 2 off and on over the past few days and so far, I'm pretty impressed by what it offers for $100 bucks. 

I think that it is an amazingly good USB DAC that has been combined with an only moderately good amp section.

While I'm sure there is nothing technically wrong with the amp section, it just sounds a bit thin and overdamped to me.  But this could actually be a good thing if you are using somewhat thick sounding headphones like the NightHawk or the MDR-Z7.

But when I connected its line-out to either my Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber, the sound took on a noticeably more full-bodied presentation while still having incredible amounts of detail and soundstage, which is especially impressive for such an inexpensive DAC.

On a scale of 1-to-10 and considering it's price, I'd give the DAC section a 9.5 and its amp section a 7.5

​Overall, I think Schiit has a real winner with the Fulla 2.  For $100, you get a great 'Lil' Schiit Starter Kit' that sounds pretty good when used just as a DAC/Amp, but it will continue to sound better and better once you connect it's fantastic DAC to the upgraded amp(s) of your choice.
Congrats, Schiit Audio!  This Lil' Schiit's a keeper!
beerchug.gif

My experience was similar when using an external amp. Not saying the Internal one is bad. It will not knock the Magni 2 Uber on its back but considering it is USB Powered and Op Amps, I found it got uncomfortably close to my Magni2 Uber. it's purpose is a Budget Combo that sounded good and was simple to use, it is that and then some.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #311 of 1,697
  <snip>my first song played on the DT-770's and Fulla 2 will be Pink-Floyd ish... (David Gilmour's Pocket Full of Stones). </snip>

Pink Floyd was not my first listen (I did Uncle Ludwig's Fifth), but I listened to The Wall this morning in Apple Lossless.  I managed to hear details I had never caught before.

Oh, and my second listen was Rush's 2112.  

\m/ (-_-) \m/

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #312 of 1,697
Received my Fulla 2 yesterday and while I'm happy with the performance, I'm disappointed by the build quality and Schiit's service.

Images for illustration:
http://imgur.com/a/uZ2FX

The volume control is noticeably misaligned. Sent a support message to Schiit and was told it was, "acceptable and is A-stock, so it is not eligible for a cosmetic exchange". Schiit provided that RMA was an option but I would be responsible for shipping and no guarantee it would be fixed.

I compared it with another unit my coworker received and with product shots online and see no issues with knob alignment. I know I'm being nit-picky here, but wish Schiit would stand behind their product and craftsmanship. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #314 of 1,697

Congrats, Schiit Audio!  This Lil' Schiit's a keeper! :beerchug:  

Does that mean i could buy fulla 2 and magni uber. Use fulla2 as dac on the magni at home and than just use fulla when i travel !?!?!??

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #315 of 1,697
You could use this as a DAC for any amplifier since it has a line out or you could use it as a pre-am for powered speakers.  It's a good feature set if USB input works for you.

I don't own either, but it looks like the general consensus is that as a DAC there isn't much of a reason to buy a baseline Modi now unless you really want 24bit/192khz support or that specific form factor.  The Uber and Multibit have some other advantages in terms of input options and multibit capability.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back