Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #286 of 1,697
My Fulla 2 arrived last Thursday.  To my disappointment, I could not use it with my iPhone 7 or iPad.  It works fine with my Mac, but my primary goal was to use it with my phone as that is what I use for most of my listening, primarily at the office.  I can't use my computer at work as it is locked down tighter than a vir...you know.  That's what you get for being a software engineer at a bank.

A note to our friends in Schiit Audio resulted in a quick response and a replacement unit is on its way to me.  Their quick response is very much appreciated.  I look forward to a portable solution to power my HD600's.

Since I am off work this week and next, I am using the Fulla 2 with my Mac until the replacement arrives.  

The initial impressions:  Daddy Digs!

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #288 of 1,697

Hey Swolern, I tried all permutations of connecting, rebooting, etc. and made sure that I was using a genuine Apple camera connection kit.  The Software Engineer in me had to approach it from all angles before involving support.

It's all good since Schiit Audio appears to be doing right by me.  Since I can use the Fulla 2 on my Mac for the time being, I can wait.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #290 of 1,697
Possibly a silly question, but has anyone heard both the Fulla2 and the $75 ZuperDAC and have an impression of the SQ differences?

Off of my laptop I am currently using the ZuperDAC (plus various portable amps - favorite being the C&C BH) mainly with the Nighthawks and Ultrasone HFI-680's (among others). I really like the SQ, but I figure I should do the proper headfi thing and upgrade my desktop dac. I have been looking at more expensive dacs (ie grace m9xx, mojo, jot), but not so much loving the prices (especially when converted to CAD). I do though love the price of the Fulla2, so if it is a definite upgrade SQ-wise from the ZuperDAC, then that would probably seal the deal for me.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #291 of 1,697
My Fulla 2 arrived last Thursday.  To my disappointment, I could not use it with my iPhone 7 or iPad.  It works fine with my Mac, but my primary goal was to use it with my phone as that is what I use for most of my listening, primarily at the office.  I can't use my computer at work as it is locked down tighter than a vir...you know.  That's what you get for being a software engineer at a bank.

A note to our friends in Schiit Audio resulted in a quick response and a replacement unit is on its way to me.  Their quick response is very much appreciated.  I look forward to a portable solution to power my HD600's.

Since I am off work this week and next, I am using the Fulla 2 with my Mac until the replacement arrives.  

The initial impressions:  Daddy Digs!

Dern, I thought our systems were locked down. Myself and Bigro work for a large bank or division thereof and the Fulla 2 is working perfectly, no driver install at all required. I connected his to my system and it recognized it instantly. In fact, both of us were surprised it didn't have to go through some form of install like with a mouse or keyboard. But nope, nothing to it. Also funny, most of our devs have local admin rights because most of their tools won't function without it.

Today I have my "Music Laptop" with me, (which is in fact a decommissioned system from our company) with Windows 10/Ubuntu Mate dual boot, JRMC, maxed out RAM. I can get a cable lock and leave the laptop here and just toss the Fulla 2 in my bag. Add my 4TB portable HDD and I've got all my music with me. Granted, if I were back in the secured access area I used to be in with Bigro, I'd have my Bifrost/Asgard 2 stack and my music laptop. It's an acceptable compromise to me, I'll be ordering a Fulla 2 soon I think.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #292 of 1,697
The lockdown has more to do with getting (and more importantly, keeping) music on the PC than using the hardware (though they do try throw up barriers).

They Don't Like having non-bank things like music on their PC's.  So be it.  I got lots of space on my phone!

The bank has been getting very uppity on security concerns and any non-bank business on our systems.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #293 of 1,697
The lockdown has more to do with getting (and more importantly, keeping) music on the PC than using the hardware (though they do try throw up barriers).

They Don't Like having non-bank things like music on their PC's.  So be it.  I got lots of space on my phone!

The bank has been getting very uppity on security concerns and any non-bank business on our systems.

Same here. At least Tidal works for Bigro due to his web access. I don't use Tidal so, I don't care. For me, my work laptop would not work as it just does not have the space and since I lost my PEM access when I left helpdesk I can't use my external drive. I nearly cried when I took that away from myself, sniffle. I just remember Target and then I don't regret it. I'll be glad when we get 512GB uSD cards :)

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #294 of 1,697
I got my Fulla 2 on Saturday, shipped in the last shipment on last Tuesday before problem was addressed. I'm using the Fulla 2 as my Raspberry Pi Jriver Server's renderer. The Modi Multibit works flawlessly but the Fulla produces lots of crackling when set to anything other then S16_LE under Alsa. Since the Raspberry Pi is just a cell phone with the USB attached to the OTG out of the processor chip, I'm wondering if this is a result of a bad Fulla 2?

Has anyone identified the missing part? I would like to avoid the inconvenience of returning the Fulla so soon.

Thanks Duncan.

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #300 of 1,697
My Fulla 2 arrived today! It was shipped just before Schiit temporarily stopped shipping out units due to the missing part defect.

I've only played with it for a few hours, mostly on my M-Audio AV40 monitors at the office after it arrived.

However, it was purchased with the intention of primarily driving my new Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250-ohm) cans. Now that I'm home, I'm putting it through the paces with the Beyers.

Immediate reaction: Very happy with the purchase!

Right now I am using it with my Dell laptop running Fedora 24 (Linux) on a USB 3 port (not using the dedicated power connection - its being powered by the data connection alone). Immediately recognized by the operating system -- no fuss. Listening to some Floyd as I write this mini-review. So far, the signal has been nice and clean. With the computer's volume setting at 100%, I can't turn the Fulla 2's knob much past 10:00 without it being too loud (12:00 or 1:00 for really quiet tracks), so its got plenty of power to drive these 250-ohm cans.

So how does it sound? Great! Wonderful! Fantastic! *

* As you can see, though, I'm new here at Head-Fi, so I don't have much "experience" for means of comparison. For the past ten years, I've been running ATH-M30s simply using whatever portable audio player or built-in sound card was available to me at the time.

So, no, I don't have perfectly-tuned audiophile-ears, and I probably can't distinguish the subtleties that many of you can. And I'm alright with that; with training, I'm sure my ears will get better. Long story short, I'm just a guy who loves music, simplicity, and bang-for-the-buck. I set down this path a few months ago when I decided to re-rip all my CDs to FLAC. Time for new headphones, which lead me to Head-Fi, where I soon learned about DACs and amps. Wanting to make the most of my FLAC collection without spending a fortune, the Fulla 2 was an instant winner for me. The fact that this little gem looks beautiful and is made in the United States is really the icing on the cake.

Here's what I can say about how it sounds versus my laptop's built-in sound card: the sound stage is enlarged, there is more tonal clarity, no noise and interference -- just music, bass is slightly improved, and the whole experience feels less fatiguing.

Essentially, this is probably the only DAC/amp I'll ever need. Sure, some day I may try another one, mostly out of curiosity, but will I notice a huge difference between this $99 device and one that costs $500? Probably not. Certainly not enough to justify the $400 difference. I like this thing enough that I will probably buy a second one to keep one at home and one at the office.

Later tonight I'll be trying the unit with my Android phone and USB Audio Player Pro. I'll report back on my experience with that in a followup post.

And now, here are some unboxing photos for your enjoyment:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back