Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #257 of 1,697
  I'm having a strange problem with my Fulla 2.
redface.gif

Whenever I pull out the headphone cable from it (or plug it back in) while playing a YouTube video on my PC, it will cause both the audio and the video playback to stutter for a couple seconds before it resumes playing normally.

And when using iTunes, either inserting or removing the headphone cable causes the song to pause.  And doing this a few times in a row made my iTunes crash.

As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be doing this.  I could understand if I was removing the USB cable, but this is happening with the headphone cable.
confused.gif

Anyone else having this issue?

Removing a headphone cable causes audio playback to pause by default on iphone. Not sure about the crashing issue, as i dont use itunes for music. I use Spotify & Tidal with no issues.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #258 of 1,697
  Removing a headphone cable causes audio playback to pause by default on iphone. Not sure about the crashing issue, as i dont use itunes for music. I use Spotify & Tidal with no issues.

​I'm having the issue with my PC.  I don't have a CCK yet so I haven't been able to try it with my iPhone.

I would really appreciate it if some of you guys could try unplugging your headphones from your Fulla 2 (and then plug them back in) while playing a video on your PC and see if any of you also notice any issues.

Thanks.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #259 of 1,697
@Selbi

Since you are from Germany, Im too btw, take a quick look at this.

https://www.conrad.de/de/usb-audio-dac-20-hz-20-khz-192khz24bit-speaka-professional-1404113.html

and this

https://www.conrad.de/de/usb-audio-dac-20-hz-20-khz-96-khz24bit-speaka-professional-1195140.html

I bought the first one, my brother the other one.

Maybe these could serve as likely alternatives to the Fulla 2 / e10k /  M3.

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #260 of 1,697

​I'm having the issue with my PC.  I don't have a CCK yet so I haven't been able to try it with my iPhone.

I would really appreciate it if some of you guys could try unplugging your headphones from your Fulla 2 (and then plug them back in) while playing a video on your PC and see if any of you also notice any issues.

Thanks.

No issues on my Windows 10 PC when unplugging the headphones while watching YouTube, listening to music (MediaMonkey) or watching a video file (VLC)

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #261 of 1,697
  @Selbi

Since you are from Germany, Im too btw, take a quick look at this.

https://www.conrad.de/de/usb-audio-dac-20-hz-20-khz-192khz24bit-speaka-professional-1404113.html

and this

https://www.conrad.de/de/usb-audio-dac-20-hz-20-khz-96-khz24bit-speaka-professional-1195140.html

I bought the first one, my brother the other one.

Maybe these could serve as likely alternatives to the Fulla 2 / e10k /  M3.

I'm a little convoluted when it comes to DACs and stuff. While the latter looks cool and is pretty cheap at 30€, if a device suddenly gets on a -70€ offer to reduce the price to less than a third, things seem fishy. I don't think the sound would be on the same level as the E10K which I already own. The Fulla 2 was so far the only recommendation I considered because it was praised as an upgrade and has a decent amount of feedback on these forums, whereas neither of the devices on Conrad seem to have any comparison reviews at all.

See the thing is that I always want to have reviews that compare products, not stand-alone reviews. All devices listed here are probably great in their own regard, but the significant issue is to find the best device among the selection suited for you. Furthermore, the biggest problem with music equipment is that once you've grown accustomed to a certain level of music quality, you can only go up from there. Downgrading feels horrible...

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #262 of 1,697
@Selbi

The first one is basically a Micca Origen, except the opamps are different. Even the driver disk looks exactly the same.  ^^ The latter is basically the monoprice amp / gmax tech e01, which imho is in quite a different league compared to the e10k.  

I do believe that the Fulla 2 sounds better than either of those two Speaka dac/amps. But hard to tell really without listening to the gear. 

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #263 of 1,697
  @Selbi

The first one is basically a Micca Origen, except the opamps are different. Even the driver disk looks exactly the same.  ^^ The latter is basically the monoprice amp / gmax tech e01, which imho is in quite a different league compared to the e10k.  

I do believe that the Fulla 2 sounds better than either of those two Speaka dac/amps. But hard to tell really without listening to the gear. 

What does better even mean on an objective level? To me stuff sounds good when it has great bass and highs (supportive of V-shaped sound signatures, for metal and hard rock and stuff), but I doubt that's universal for everyone.

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #264 of 1,697
  And you claim to live in mid-fi purgatory...

Ah, you say that, but until I applied the SDR mod earlier today, they were generally too horrible to listen to- and I am not even particularly treble-sensitive! Even before I re-measured them, I could hear that the ear-stabbing spike was reined in, but it was nice to see it confirmed in garish graph form.

If hell is other people, mid-fi purgatory is other peoples' endgame.. or something.

What does better even mean on an objective level? To me stuff sounds good when it has great bass and highs (supportive of V-shaped sound signatures, for metal and hard rock and stuff), but I doubt that's universal for everyone.

Here be dragons! The trouble with objective measurement of amps is that it never quite tells the whole story.. it's useful for showing why a really bad one sounds so awful- but it's quite hard to make measurements to quantify some of the things that make an amp sound "good".

There are things you can look at like FR, noise levels, impulse response and so forth, they're useful sanity checks, but they really don't tell the whole story. There are some amps which measure well, but sound like ass (e.g. the O2), and some tube amps measure like ass, but will consistently sound better (even when you blind a/b them)- and that's not dependant on second harmonic distortion or similar, either.

It depends to an extent what you want from an amp- but generally a "good" amp won't colour the FR too badly. It won't overly crush/compress the dynamics or wreck the sound stage. It won't clip or distort readily when loaded. It will preserve microdynamics clearly, won't kill string harmonics or truncate decays etc. Some of this stuff is really hard to quantify with a measurement rig, though.

I don't know of a single competent high-end amp designer who only tunes by graphs. The audio analyser is a vital yardstick of some performance measures and to check for/diagnose problems, but ultimately it is necessary to make a ton of trade-offs in the design, and those decisions also tend to be part of the subjective voicing. Amps built only to measure well often sound pretty nasty.

What's more, there are some amps which some people consider "good" which do skew the sound somewhat too- like the local favourite, the Liquid Carbon, which is somewhat warm. There's an awful lot of subjective junk involved- despite what self-professed "objectivists" with cloth ears would tell you. Listening tests with people in the loop are an important part of how the grown-ups roll.

The answer to your question is deceptively long and complex- and virtually none of the posters on HF, despite their bullish self-belief, are equipped to answer it fully- me included. If they did, you might take a while to digest the answer, too.

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #265 of 1,697
  Happy to report my replacement works great with my OnePlus One android phone without external power.

Good to hear.  I'll add it to the list on the first post.

No issues on my Windows 10 PC when unplugging the headphones while watching YouTube, listening to music (MediaMonkey) or watching a video file (VLC)

Ok, thanks.  I'll try my Fulla 2 on a few different PC's and see how it works on them.  If the stuttering issue happens on them as well, then I most likely have a defective unit.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #268 of 1,697
This little bugger look like a baby m9xx:nerd:With same power and signal configuration with micro USB.
Anyone has a m9xx to compare? Its using same AK4490 chip but fulla2 only limits to 24/96.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #269 of 1,697
This little bugger look like a baby m9xx:nerd:With same power and signal configuration with micro USB.
Anyone has a m9xx to compare? Its using same AK4490 chip but fulla2 only limits to 24/96.

Yeah, Fulla 2 is only limited to 24/96 so that Windows doesn't need drivers. UAC 2 support in Windows 10 still isn't fully there, and even if it was, Schiit can't assume old versions will get it too. Sadly Windows is the awkward child in that respect.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #270 of 1,697
Im curious about the power rating in the spec, whether is base on with or without the input of USB power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back