Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #316 of 1,697
You could use this as a DAC for any amplifier since it has a line out or you could use it as a pre-am for powered speakers.  It's a good feature set if USB input works for you.

I don't own either, but it looks like the general consensus is that as a DAC there isn't much of a reason to buy a baseline Modi now unless you really want 24bit/192khz support or that specific form factor.  The Uber and Multibit have some other advantages in terms of input options and multibit capability.  

Do you think fulla2 's dac would perform similar or better than the first bifrost gen ( usb1 and the chip before 4490 ) ???

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #317 of 1,697
Received my Fulla 2 yesterday and while I'm happy with the performance, I'm disappointed by the build quality and Schiit's service.

Images for illustration:
http://imgur.com/a/uZ2FX

The volume control is noticeably misaligned. Sent a support message to Schiit and was told it was, "acceptable and is A-stock, so it is not eligible for a cosmetic exchange". Schiit provided that RMA was an option but I would be responsible for shipping and no guarantee it would be fixed.

I compared it with another unit my coworker received and with product shots online and see no issues with knob alignment. I know I'm being nit-picky here, but wish Schiit would stand behind their product and craftsmanship. 

I have the same issue with my SYS, I just didn't want to go through the hassle of contacting them and trying to exchange it.

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #321 of 1,697
That's true, but Schiit would cost 3 times as much with Apple perfection.

Regardless of my post about the alignment issues I want to emphasize I am overall very happy with the output and don't doubt the quality and design of the Fulla 2 internals.

I know it's only a $99 product and that is pennies in the audiophile world (and a steal for a dac/amp combo), but my expectations were pretty high especially with how nice the rest of the design of the Fulla 2 is and Schiit's solid reputation. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #322 of 1,697
Does that mean i could buy fulla 2 and magni uber. Use fulla2 as dac on the magni at home and than just use fulla when i travel !?!?!??

​Absolutely. 

Or if money is tight, you could just start with only the Fulla 2 (because it still sounds pretty decent when used as a DAC/Amp) and then buy a Magni 2 Uber later on.

It's totally up to you.

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #324 of 1,697
Hey everyone, back with an update. Happy to say that I tried the Fulla 2 with my LG Nexus 5X Android phone using a USB-C OTG adapter, and it worked flawlessly with USB Audio Player Pro. The Fulla 2 was able to draw power from the phone, and did not require an extra power connection to operate! Awesome that I can get bit-perfect USB audio from my phone (if only it had more storage capacity). Good show, Schiit! I haven't played with it in this configuration long enough to see how quickly it drains the phone's battery.

I have also tested the Fulla 2 on Fedora 24, Ubuntu 16.04, and FreeBSD 11.0. It worked flawlessly on all three operating systems.

Quote:
  Hey, Bellsystem.... Congrats on your purchase.... I have the exact same laptop AND the same Cans, and believe it or not, my first song played on the DT-770's and Fulla 2 will be Pink-Floyd ish... (David Gilmour's Pocket Full of Stones). What program do you use to re-import your music in FLAC and play back through your USB? I haven't started this task yet... still using iTunes with Apple Lossless

Hey, what are the odds of that! I have not listened to Pocket Full of Stones; I'll have to check that out! I run Linux exclusively, so I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you, but if anyone does use Linux, I highly recommend Asunder for ripping CDs. It uses the cdparanoia library, which does an excellent job of error correction to help make sure the ripped files are not affected by physical damage on the CD. For playback, I haven't really settled on a program, so I kind of use a random assortment of apps for now.

The volume control is noticeably misaligned. Sent a support message to Schiit and was told it was, "acceptable and is A-stock, so it is not eligible for a cosmetic exchange". Schiit provided that RMA was an option but I would be responsible for shipping and no guarantee it would be fixed.

I compared it with another unit my coworker received and with product shots online and see no issues with knob alignment. I know I'm being nit-picky here, but wish Schiit would stand behind their product and craftsmanship. 

I just took a closer look at mine. Sure enough, the knob is slightly off-center. A little annoying, but not enough for me to hassle with trying to return it. Especially since the overall enclosure feels really solid and well-made, and the actual action of the knob is nice and tight.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #325 of 1,697
Oh well , i pulled the trigger on a Fulla 2 ... will see . Since u guys said it working great with 250 ohm dt990 pro , i feel more confortable ! i just have to order the dt990 pro black edition now lol

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #327 of 1,697
What USB cable u guys using with the Fulla 2 ?

A 6' Anker powerline because the stock one was too short for my work computer otherwise I would have used that.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #328 of 1,697
I guess some people like solid state but I can't imagine taking M2U over Vali 2 under any circumstances.

I have Both Different Strokes for different Folks. I Prefer the Vali 2.

​Absolutely. 

Or if money is tight, you could just start with only the Fulla 2 (because it still sounds pretty decent when used as a DAC/Amp) and then buy a Magni 2 Uber later on.

It's totally up to you.

This is exactly How I use the Fulla 2.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #329 of 1,697
I guess some people like solid state but I can't imagine taking M2U over Vali 2 under any circumstances.

It really depends on your taste and your cans. But, I agree, the Vali 2 is awesome. Bigro nearly didn't get his back when he let me borrow it! It's an extremely fun amp and performs WAY over it's price point or even it's design specs.

To me, the best thing about Fulla 2 is it's a gateway drug, er DAC/AMP. You can start with Fulla 2, then add a better amp, or a better DAC. Heck, it may just be your end game. It's flexibility to allow someone to get into the hobby is a great asset. Either way, sorry about your wallet. But not so much right away!

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #330 of 1,697

It really depends on your taste and your cans. But, I agree, the Vali 2 is awesome. Bigro nearly didn't get his back when he let me borrow it! It's an extremely fun amp and performs WAY over it's price point or even it's design specs.

To me, the best thing about Fulla 2 is it's a gateway drug, er DAC/AMP. You can start with Fulla 2, then add a better amp, or a better DAC. Heck, it may just be your end game. It's flexibility to allow someone to get into the hobby is a great asset. Either way, sorry about your wallet. But not so much right away!

You almost did not get Your Ether C's Back
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back