Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Mar 10, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #2,777 of 3,233
Are those of you who are getting loud pops using the XLR input/output or RCA input/output? And are you getting it in both types or just one?

As I stated earlier, I have been able to get rid of the popping sound in my system. I'm using XLR input from my DAC, but using RCA output to go to my amp, which doesn't feature XLR input.

Curious to see if that has any effect.
I tried going from my dac to the xlr input and rca output on the Freya N to the Aegir but unfortunately the pop was still there. Thank you for the advice. I appreciate all the help.

Mar 10, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #2,778 of 3,233
I had all the same issues with my Freya N that you guys are describing. Two different units. I tried every combination of XLR and RCA input/output. I tried the new tubes that Schiit sent me. I tried multiple sources, and multiple power amps, but the popping and volume jumps persisted.

To me, it seemed to be some kind of thermal issue. When I first powered on the Freya, and used it in either passive or jfet mode, I had no issues and everything worked perfectly. It was only after being in tube mode for a while, and the unit got hotter, that the popping would start. Once the Freya was hot, I could switch it back to passive or jfet, and the popping would persist in those modes as well until it cooled down a bit.

If I had bought this Freya used I would have been slightly perturbed, but would have learned to live with it because it sounded great. Lord knows I've had enough vintage gear with quirks. But this Freya was brand new, and shouldn't have ANY quirks, so I decided to return it. I ended up getting a Freya S and the volume control works perfectly, so I'm happy. I hope you guys get yours figured out.

Mar 10, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #2,779 of 3,233
I had all the same issues with my Freya N that you guys are describing. Two different units. I tried every combination of XLR and RCA input/output. I tried the new tubes that Schiit sent me. I tried multiple sources, and multiple power amps, but the popping and volume jumps persisted.

To me, it seemed to be some kind of thermal issue. When I first powered on the Freya, and used it in either passive or jfet mode, I had no issues and everything worked perfectly. It was only after being in tube mode for a while, and the unit got hotter, that the popping would start. Once the Freya was hot, I could switch it back to passive or jfet, and the popping would persist in those modes as well until it cooled down a bit.

If I had bought this Freya used I would have been slightly perturbed, but would have learned to live with it because it sounded great. Lord knows I've had enough vintage gear with quirks. But this Freya was brand new, and shouldn't have ANY quirks, so I decided to return it. I ended up getting a Freya S and the volume control works perfectly, so I'm happy. I hope you guys get yours figured out.
I have the same situation. I'm on my second Freya N. I've tried multiple sources, cables and diffierent amps. The popping noise continues. I can hear the popping when the tube mode is active as well as when it engages and disengages. I'll still hear it for about 30 seconds passive and buffer mode until the tube circuit fully disengages. I wonder if @Jason Stoddard can provide us with any help troubleshooting or rectifying the situation.

Mar 10, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #2,780 of 3,233
I'll check in as I'm also experiencing the 12 o clock pop on my new Freya N.

I'm running modius balanced to the freya n and SE out to a vidar. The speakers are dynaudio evoke 20s: 6 ohm, 86 sensitivity.

I upgraded from a saga +, which had a completely smooth volume range. The Freya N's gain has been a huge upgrade but the pop has been a weird quirk, especially since I am often bumping back and forth around that 12 o clock position. Mine is also doing this once on tube mode.

Schiit asked if I had tried rolling tubes... but I only have what it shipped with. I tried rotating them around and there seems to be different configurations that make the pop less noticable. I have an open email asking if I would like to exchange the tubes but based off everyone elses experiences, this might be normal.

Mar 11, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #2,781 of 3,233
does your Freya N do the same thing?
no, dead silent with volume, but a mild pop when muting. Had the tube for years, as I ran them in my Valhalla 1. I've been thinking about an Aegir, but my old Monarchy Class A 100watt mono blocks sound so good. But they draw 200watts at idle.:worried:

Also, with the 6n6p. in the so called correct sockets(left side) the sound was thin & lacking bass. After I switched them to the right side, the sound got full with good bass. just an FYI.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #2,782 of 3,233
no, dead silent with volume, but a mild pop when muting. Had the tube for years, as I ran them in my Valhalla 1. I've been thinking about an Aegir, but my old Monarchy Class A 100watt mono blocks sound so good. But they draw 200watts at idle.:worried:

Also, with the 6n6p. in the so called correct sockets(left side) the sound was thin & lacking bass. After I switched them to the right side, the sound got full with good bass. just an FYI.
Wow, I googled those amplifier and they look like beasts! I love the way the Aegir sounds, even when I had it hooked up to my Magni 3 as a preamp. With the Freya N is just about all I could every ask for, maybe except for extreme volume, which in that case I'd just add another Aegir. I usually listen with my family home or late at night so I don't need a lot of volume. I'm usually at 1 o'clock in tube mode and 2-3 o'clock in passive and buffer. With the Magni 3 in low gain it actually got a louder that the Freya N with respect to the volume position. So the only downside is if you need crazy volume. My speakers are Goldenear Triton 7 which have some of the most remarkable imaging that I've expereienced but can be a little thin in the low midrange and harsh in the upper midrange/lower treble. For my speakers, the Aegir created a perfect balance of tight powerful bass, extremely open and clear midrange, and a detailed treble with zero fatigue even when playing pretty loud. On top of that it took the imaging and soundstage to the next level. If I end up keeping the Freya N I may try your tube combination, so thank you for that bit of information.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #2,784 of 3,233
I don’t own a Freya+. I own an original Saga. I do know how hot the Freya+ can get though, much much hotter than a Saga. If the Freya+ gets that hot to the touch imagine how high the temp must be inside the case. The problem is that Schiit doesn‘t use a heat sink inside the Freya+. The metal case becomes the heat sink. I think that is a problem IMHO. High temperatures degrade capacitors, making them lose their spec, and even causing them to fail.

I am concerned about the longevity of the Freya+.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #2,785 of 3,233
So we have gone from tube rolling to capacitor rolling??
Yeah..It was a lot of fun (and a lot of work)....I learned a lot and everything turned out great. The high-end capacitors (I also replaced all of the resistors too in the tube circuit)....The sound improve substantially. The 3-dimentionality of the sound was the most noticeable part. Good recordings just blow my mind now.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #2,786 of 3,233
I don’t own a Freya+. I own an original Saga. I do know how hot the Freya+ can get though, much much hotter than a Saga. If the Freya+ gets that hot to the touch imagine how high the temp must be inside the case. The problem is that Schiit doesn‘t use a heat sink inside the Freya+. The metal case becomes the heat sink. I think that is a problem IMHO. High temperatures degrade capacitors, making them lose their spec, and even causing them to fail.

I am concerned about the longevity of the Freya+.
Yes...The Freya+ Preamps get very hot!!!! It can't be healthy long-term. I love that little sucker tho!!! :relaxed:

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,788 of 3,233
Yeah. I switched out my amplifier for an old BGW 750 I used for a sub just to give it a listen. I'm using XLR to the BGW and at first got no sound. Switched modes and than got sound. I get no sound using it in passive mode for some reason. The other 2 modes sounds good especially with the tubes engaged. I also get the 12 o clock pop but now with this amplifier I'm getting a pop at 3 o clock too. When I first got it I used rca connections only and the pops where alot louder. I also had a issue where the right side sounded better than the left speaker. Schiit sent me another set of tubes and I switched to XLR cables and the pops are not as loud anymore. This does sound really good but man does it have some quirks or at least mine does.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #2,789 of 3,233
How solid is the Freya S? Does the Freya S have pops or other quirks? Does the Freya S run much cooler than the Freya+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back