Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Mar 10, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #2,761 of 3,234
Just to jump on this and thank everyone for the advice in this thread-I was having a similar issue with trying to eliminate some weird noise/interference that was cropping up in my Freya N and Mjolnir 2 chain. So far the router does not seem to be at fault but after examining all of the weird things you would never expect I found the culprit (well the current one anyway). I found that one of the mice in my office, which happens to stay on as long as it is plugged into the USB hub (even if the laptop attached to the hub is off), was omitting a weird, almost inaudible squeal. It is a lightweight design with gaps in the structure that I guess were allowing the squeal to get out too easily. Anyway that mouse has been replaced with a different one and the issue has been resolved (for now).
You have a cat…why are there mice in your office? 🤷🏻‍♂️
😁

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #2,762 of 3,234
Just to jump on this and thank everyone for the advice in this thread-I was having a similar issue with trying to eliminate some weird noise/interference that was cropping up in my Freya N and Mjolnir 2 chain. So far the router does not seem to be at fault but after examining all of the weird things you would never expect I found the culprit (well the current one anyway). I found that one of the mice in my office, which happens to stay on as long as it is plugged into the USB hub (even if the laptop attached to the hub is off), was omitting a weird, almost inaudible squeal. It is a lightweight design with gaps in the structure that I guess were allowing the squeal to get out too easily. Anyway that mouse has been replaced with a different one and the issue has been resolved (for now).
Wow that’s crazy. I never would have thought of that but I guess anything can cause interference. That great you found the culprit. Tracking down noises can be daunting. On a side note, do you have a popping noise coming from the speaker when you turn the volume past 12 and 3 o’clock in tube mode? My first Freya N had that, Schiit just sent me a replacement and it does the same thing. Which is really unfortunate because it sounds incredible with the Aegir.

Mar 10, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #2,763 of 3,234
Everything is better with the Nexus, but it's also a touch more lively. For my Tekton Pendragons, it's a bit too much for me. Now I run the N with 6n6p/6n23p tubes, and it's much better.
I have lively speakers as well (Goldenear Triton 7s) which is why I went with the N over the S. Thanks for sharing your tube comb, where did you purchase the tubes? I’ve tried so many integrateds to tame the upper midrange, luckily the aegir with the Freya seems to do that. Quick question, you mentioned your Freya S made the popping noise when turn the volume, does your Freya N do the same thing?

Mar 10, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #2,764 of 3,234
Wow that’s crazy. I never would have thought of that but I guess anything can cause interference. That great you found the culprit. Tracking down noises can be daunting. On a side note, do you have a popping noise coming from the speaker when you turn the volume past 12 and 3 o’clock in tube mode? My first Freya N had that, Schiit just sent me a replacement and it does the same thing. Which is really unfortunate because it sounds incredible with the Aegir.
I am using this in a headphone setup but it is definitely not passing on any popping noises as you described.

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #2,765 of 3,234
I'm not an engineer so this is speculation on my part, but it seems the popping sound at 12 and 3 o'clock doesn't seem to be a defect per se. It's likely inherent to the relay volume control design because those are the points where the volume jumps in gain because it is non-linear.

I think people are having different experiences with how loud the pop is depending on how sensitive your speakers are, your power amp's input impedance (?), and/or the type of tubes that you are using.

Because I thought I completely got rid of the pop as I detailed earlier in this thread, but it's actually just become so soft after a tube change where the only way I can hear it is if I put my ear right next to the woofer so it's basically non-existent at this point. And otherwise, the pre-amp works great so I'm not going to send it back unless something else goes wrong.

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #2,766 of 3,234
I'm not an engineer so this is speculation on my part, but it seems the popping sound at 12 and 3 o'clock doesn't seem to be a defect per se. It's likely inherent to the relay volume control design because those are the points where the volume jumps in gain because it is non-linear.

I think people are having different experiences with how loud the pop is depending on how sensitive your speakers are, your power amp's input impedance (?), and/or the type of tubes that you are using.

Because I thought I completely got rid of the pop as I detailed earlier in this thread, but it's actually just become so soft after a tube change where the only way I can hear it is if I put my ear right next to the woofer so it's basically non-existent at this point. And otherwise, the pre-amp works great so I'm not going to send it back unless something else goes wrong.
I pretty much came to the same conclusion. Maybe it's less pronounced with 6sn7 tubes in the freya +, and when its design was adapted for the freya n, it was just never caught in QC as there are a few variables that affect how audible it is.

For me it was pretty loud at first, and then when I switched amps it got a little quieter, even though the new amp was many more watts. Then when I switched to non-stock tubes that get less hot it got even quieter. I have a surround sound processor that makes an even louder click thru the speakers when it locks onto a dolby signal, so the freya n is far from the worst offender in my system.

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #2,767 of 3,234

Glad to hear you reduced the noise to the point where it’s not an issue. I’m using the Freya N with an Aegir and 89db sensitive speakers. My first Freya N had a loud enough pop where I thought it wasn’t normal. Schiit sent me a second one which was actually much louder. The first only popped in tube mode. On this one there is a softer but very noticeable pop in passive and buffer mode (similar to how the first one popped in tube mode) but the pop is extremely loud in tube mode. It’s really unfortunate because it sounds amazing.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #2,768 of 3,234
Glad to hear you reduced the noise to the point where it’s not an issue. I’m using the Freya N with an Aegir and 89db sensitive speakers. My first Freya N had a loud enough pop where I thought it wasn’t normal. Schiit sent me a second one which was actually much louder. The first only popped in tube mode. On this one there is a softer but very noticeable pop in passive and buffer mode (similar to how the first one popped in tube mode) but the pop is extremely loud in tube mode. It’s really unfortunate because it sounds amazing.
Sorry you are having issues even after a replacement.

Other than getting it to the point where it is super quiet, I think another reason why this quirk doesn't bother me is because I rarely need to pass 12 o'clock on the volume knob to reach my preferred listening level.

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #2,769 of 3,234
Question for you....I have a Freya N with an Aegir I tried on 92db speakers, and in tube mode could not get decent volume. I didn't even think it was on until I turned the volume on the Freya 75% around, and at full max was not loud enough for a small room. How much volume are you getting in tube mode?

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,770 of 3,234
Question for you....I have a Freya N with an Aegir I tried on 92db speakers, and in tube mode could not get decent volume. I didn't even think it was on until I turned the volume on the Freya 75% around, and at full max was not loud enough for a small room. How much volume are you getting in tube mode?
What is the audio source, the source output voltage, and the source output impedance?

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,771 of 3,234
Are those of you who are getting loud pops using the XLR input/output or RCA input/output? And are you getting it in both types or just one?

As I stated earlier, I have been able to get rid of the popping sound in my system. I'm using XLR input from my DAC, but using RCA output to go to my amp, which doesn't feature XLR input.

Curious to see if that has any effect.

Mar 10, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #2,772 of 3,234
I typically don’t listen very loud. In tube mode I’m usually at 1 o’clock and passive/buffer around 2-3 o’clock.

Mar 10, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #2,773 of 3,234
Are those of you who are getting loud pops using the XLR input/output or RCA input/output? And are you getting it in both types or just one?

As I stated earlier, I have been able to get rid of the popping sound in my system. I'm using XLR input from my DAC, but using RCA output to go to my amp, which doesn't feature XLR input.

Curious to see if that has any

Curious to see if that has any effect.
I’ve tried single ended from my dac and both rca and xlr to rca cables to the aegir. I don’t have a balanced dac but I do have another xlr to rca cable I could use for the dac, I’ll give that a shot and report back Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back