Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Apr 24, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #2,807 of 3,234
It does it in all 3 modes, so i don't think it's the tubes. Stereo single setup..
Sounds like polarity of one speaker / cabling is reversed. Try double checking speaker wiring (stereo mode aegir or vidar have red wires for each respective channel attached to upper output binding post / black wire to lower post).

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #2,809 of 3,234
The reports of defects with the Freya N considering it's a new product is not very reassuring for long term ownership.

But I really don't even know of another tube preamp from any other manufacturer in this price range that has the same features as the Freya series.

Thankfully Schiit offers a nice warranty.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #2,811 of 3,234
Mine is on its way back to Schiit tomorrow. I'm not writing it off just yet, and I am curious as to what is causing the issue on the gain side.
As Uber Reem has the same issue and had the same response with the issue with the tubes on the gain side it's clear, there is something amiss. I hope I dont have the same outcome as Orange 5o.

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #2,812 of 3,234
Freya+ accessory vacuum tubes.

Tung-sol 6SN7GTB
measurement value(IP at 180V -6.0V)

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_000722.jpg
    IMG_20230426_000722.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #2,814 of 3,234
Just a heads up, Schiit has 8 black Freya Ns listed on close out. Had I not just bought a used Freya+ I would have jumped on one.

Apr 29, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #2,815 of 3,234
Would it make any sense to have quad PSvane CV181-TII? If not, what would be the best non-NOS 6SN7 (current production) tube to pair with it?

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #2,816 of 3,234
Just added a quad of Grade-A Psvane CV181 T-II's.
So far so good... surprisingly good straight out of the box, though I'm sure they'll need some hours on them to be at their best.

20180830_183719.jpg 20180830_183537.jpg 20180830_183630.jpg
I know this has been a long time, but I wonder if you could still remember well enough how this played out in the end :)

May 2, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #2,817 of 3,234
I'm highly interest in the freya+. So just to make sure, here's the thing
I have a topping A90 headphone amp, which is, at least to me, transparent and adds little to no coloration
Would the Freya+ be able to add enough coloration to make the A90 sound like a tube amp?

May 2, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #2,818 of 3,234
I'm highly interest in the freya+. So just to make sure, here's the thing
I have a topping A90 headphone amp, which is, at least to me, transparent and adds little to no coloration
Would the Freya+ be able to add enough coloration to make the A90 sound like a tube amp?
Not suitable for use with headphones.
The reason is "SN ratio".
It takes a lot of effort and cost to select brands and individuals
with little residual noise.
Of course, if you use it with speakers, there is no problem at all.

May 2, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #2,819 of 3,234
I'm about to try similar case: between Holo May and Holo Bliss. I really love already how May+Bliss sounds, but sometimes I occasionally miss tubes. This should give me possibility to play with tubes (with planars!) at quite high quality sound and without paying an arm and leg.
Many people like the sound of tubes. I don't think this is the only thing that tubes do, but one of the reasons is that 2nd order harmonics play tricks on us: https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/learn/when-distortion-is-good

So no-one loves square waves, but I think SS distortion and tube distortion are often mixed together even though their natures are very different. SS distortion is often just pure degradation of SQ, while with tubes the distortion is dominated by 2nd order harmonics, which actually sound nice and make our brain to think that music is more "alive". I even tried this with my previous computer, by adding DSP add-on in the signal path. I was able to digitally add 2nd (and 3rd) order harmonics into the sound and it really made the music more intoxicating. The effect was especially pleasant with jazz (and other live) recordings and it felt that I was rediscovering my jazz albums.

However I've since moved away from that DSP as the digital sound processing itself was degrading SQ (that was an open source thing that didn't have the best possible filters etc).

Also playing with tubes is a lot of fun!

May 6, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #2,820 of 3,234
Not suitable for use with headphones.
It takes a lot of effort and cost to select brands and individuals
with little residual noise.
Of course, if you use it with speakers, there is no problem at all.
?? Can you please quantify that statement that it's not suitable for headphones? I have my Freya+ N in a stack: M1 Mac Mini=>ifi ZenDac Pro v2=>Lokius=>Freya+ N=>Asgard 3=>Hifiman Sundara headphones. The Freya - for me - takes the headphone experience to a completely new level, both using the tube stage and the differential buffer (I haven't played much with passive) with a heavy preference for tubes (with early 1960's Amperex Bugle Boy tubes in the right-hand sockets). I will argue that the Freya is extremely suitable for headphones, and many, many users here use them for just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back