Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 19, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #721 of 3,234
Just a follow up:

I received these tubes today and they are the best sounding tubes in my collection! Yay!!
I hear a lot of good things about those tubes. I'll have to have a look for some for me! Thanks for the update.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #723 of 3,234
@winders Still using the stock tubes for output?

Those and 2 pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGTA (Brown Base, Chrome Top, 1966) tubes I bought specifically to use in the output buffer stage. But mostly the stock tubes.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #724 of 3,234
Freya improved my system so much I ordered a second one which I got in today. I had been using DAC/pre units, the DirectStream Jr to Parasound A21 and ELAC UF5's in my main rig and Oppo HA-1 to Linn AV5105, powering PBN Montana monitors. I've had pre's before and still have an old Onkyo P304 in storage, but the Freya has just blown me away.

It's added substantial body and more realistic tonal qualities to my music and made me feel like my Halo is finally blowing me away after a couple years and also maximizing the depth the scanspeak technology in the Montana monitors can really deliver to shape the music.

In both rigs my gain tubes are Kenrad VT-231's. I've got a pair of three hole bad boys in the buffer stage with my smaller setup and the stock tubes in the larger one. I'm not sure where I might want to go from there tube wise, but I do think the bad boys in the buffer stage is a good compliment to the Kenrads. We'll see how the stock tubes break in but I think I want something NOS for the second set.

It's hard to compare the Freyas directly with my Ragnaroks as those are in HP/near field configs with different DAC's and sources, but the better stepped attenuator and multiple outputs make it more versatile for my music collection, digital and vinyl alike. My next Schiit endeavor will hopefully involve a pair of Vidars and seeing how synergistic the pairing is.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #725 of 3,234
In both rigs my gain tubes are Kenrad VT-231's. I've got a pair of three hole bad boys in the buffer stage with my smaller setup and the stock tubes in the larger one. I'm not sure where I might want to go from there tube wise, but I do think the bad boys in the buffer stage is a good compliment to the Kenrads. We'll see how the stock tubes break in but I think I want something NOS for the second set.

Clearly this is all subject to personal likes and dislikes, but I think you are wasting your Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boys" by using them in the output buffer stage. The Ken-Rad VT-231 is a great tube, but it lacks the sweet midrange of the "Bad Boys" and the bass is not as tight and has less detail. I would think you would like the sound better if you swapped those tube's positions. Put the "Bad Boys" in the gain stage and the Ken-Rads in the output buffer stage. I think the Sylvania VT-231, Sylvania 6SN7GT (2 hole version), and Sylvania 6SN7GTA (any vintage) make great output buffer stage tubes. I like the Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boys", Raytheon VT-231 (Black Flat Plates), Ken-Rad VT-231, and Sylvania 6SN7W tubes in the gain stage.

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #726 of 3,234
Clearly this is all subject to personal likes and dislikes, but I think you are wasting your Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boys" by using them in the output buffer stage. The Ken-Rad VT-231 is a great tube, but it lacks the sweet midrange of the "Bad Boys" and the bass is not as tight and has less detail. I would think you would like the sound better if you swapped those tube's positions. Put the "Bad Boys" in the gain stage and the Ken-Rads in the output buffer stage. I think the Sylvania VT-231, Sylvania 6SN7GT (2 hole version), and Sylvania 6SN7GTA (any vintage) make great output buffer stage tubes. I like the Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boys", Raytheon VT-231 (Black Flat Plates), Ken-Rad VT-231, and Sylvania 6SN7W tubes in the gain stage.
Just realized I mistakingly posted 3 hole rather than 2 hole. The 2 holes don't touch the Kenrads. I guess I need to track down the two hole bad boys if I want to see what I'm missing in the mids.

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #727 of 3,234
Just realized I mistakingly posted 3 hole rather than 2 hole. The 2 holes don't touch the Kenrads. I guess I need to track down the two hole bad boys if I want to see what I'm missing in the mids.

Wait, you mean you need to track down the 3 hole "Bad Boys"...right?

I agree, the 2 hole Sylvania 6SN7GT is not as good as the Ken-Rad VT-231. But, the 3 hole "Bad Boys" are better!!

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #728 of 3,234
Remember that I said I was done buying tubes for my Freya? That was before one of my pairs of "Bad Boy" tubes had one die. I sent that pair back and received a full refund. Anyway, I figured I would stay on the lookout for one more pair of "Bad Boys" because I like them so much. Well, a guy put a pair up for sale a few days ago on eBay with a string bid of $29. After a couple of days he had no bids. This is normal for eBay as everyone waits to bid when the auction gets close to ending. I figured what the heck, l'll send him a message offering him the same $120 I paid for that other pair of "Bad Boys" last week. If he accepts, I get a great deal because "Bad Boys" will go for at least that. If he doesn't, nothing lost. He accepted!!

Why am I posting this? To remind you guys that good deals can be had if you work the system! I am done buying tubes now so you guys go get them!

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #730 of 3,234
Are you sure those are true Bad Boys? I thought they needed green labeling? Either way nice score!

The ones I just bought? Yes. Sylvania would make these tubes for other companies and put that companies names on them. The SRL tube I bought last week has white lettering. If they have Sylvania's name on them, they would need to have green lettering.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #731 of 3,234
Ah, gotcha. Damn, I was going to bid on those tubes too! Oh, well. That's a good lesson just sending a message to the seller and asking if they'll accept your offer.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #732 of 3,234
Ah, gotcha. Damn, I was going to bid on those tubes too! Oh, well. That's a good lesson just sending a message to the seller and asking if they'll accept your offer.

As I said, I am now done buying tubes. I will keep an eye out and let you know if any pairs of "Bad Boys" pop up. Especially those not listed as "Bad Boys".

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #735 of 3,234
I've got a Gungnir MB and Rag 2 getting here this week. I'm going to be running music out of my PC.

Do I have a reason to get a Freya? I am in need of schooling. Using Utopias.

If by Rag 2 you are referring to the Ragnarok, the answer would be no, unless you are certain you want to try altering the sound of the Rag.
You could insert the Freya between the GMB and the Rag, it would the affect the sound to some degree (also dependent upon the tubes), but not necessarily for the better. In the least, I would spend some time with the GMB and the Rag pairing, they are two extremely fine components.
Should be great, enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back