Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 22, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #751 of 3,234
The Rag is a good preamp (input selection, volume control), excellent head phone amp and a good small power speaker amp. With it you do not need anything else to drive headphones, powered monitors or speakers.

The Freya is an excellent pre amp. It does not have a head phone amp nor a speaker amp.

You can use the Freya in front of the Rag (after the Gumby) to add some tube sound but if the tube sound was that important to you the Rag may not have been the best purchase.

The Mjolnir 2 is an excellent tube head phone amp that has preamp outs that can drive power monitors. It does provide volume control but does not have input selection.
Hey man I feel terrible, I actually had the Mjolnir 2 coming. It's here now!

Tuuuuuubes! :)

rCJpA1a.jpg

hPIlKNT.jpg

Headphones get here friday, SO EXCITED!

Oh, and this: https://gfycat.com/CoarsePerfumedAlaskankleekai

Diggin' the crisp output from the Gungnir.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #752 of 3,234
Jun 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #753 of 3,234
Jun 22, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #755 of 3,234
Where is the Freya in all of this?

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #758 of 3,234
At one time the Schiit owners manual was wrong about the Freya tube location. Where should I install the two high end tubes that I have ordered (Right, Left, Front, Back)? I have had the Freya for two months, and I have not listened to it yet. I am waiting for a Vidar to install it in my second system.

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #759 of 3,234
The left tubes are the output buffer stage and the right tubes are the gain stage. Put the good tubes on the right!

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #761 of 3,234
So, I have a hum in one of the Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" tubes I received. If I put the tube in the front gain stage location the hum is in the left speaker. If I move it to the rear gain position, the hum is in the right speaker. I have been playing music through the tube continuously for over 24 hours to see if it would lessen or go away. It hasn't gone away but it may have gotten slightly quieter. Otherwise, the tube sounds fantastic!

With my powered monitor setup I can deal with the noise. I lower the volume on the speaker and use Freya to control the volume. The noise loudness does not change when changing the volume control on Freya. It changes only when the volume is increased on the speaker. In other words, Freya's volume control does not attenuate the hum.

My concern is when I change over to a two Vidar amp monoblock setup with passive tower speakers. Will the Vidar amp play the hum loudly like when the powered monitors are set at full volume with no way to attenuate it?

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #762 of 3,234
It depends on the sensitivity of the speakers being used. If you have a 250W power amp into sensitive speakers vs 100W or 50W, the noise will be much more apparent. It's kind of trial and error but I'm sure there are calculations you can do to figure out how much gain is going to be added by the power amp.

For example, Freya to my 250W power amp to my 84.5 dB (dB/2.83v/1M) sensitive Philharmonic Audio AAMs, which are not that sensitive, have a noticeable hiss or noise floor present at all times. Freya to my Jot there is no such hiss on any headphone at normal listening levels.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #763 of 3,234
The speakers I am looking at are a 4 ohm design and claim:

98.82dB 2.83V@1m sensitivity

At 4 ohms, a Vidar amp in monoblock mode has 400 watts of power.

The powered monitors are:

87 dB (2.83 V/1 m)

They are 4 ohms at 100 watts

It sounds like the hum is going to be loud!

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #764 of 3,234
Yeah, it might be significantly louder. The only other thing that can affect the noise level is impedance matching between components. Again, I'm not sure how it translates to preamps and power amps but I know there is an effect.

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #765 of 3,234
Yeah, it might be significantly louder. The only other thing that can affect the noise level is impedance matching between components. Again, I'm not sure how it translates to preamps and power amps but I know there is an effect.

All of my audio components are plugged into a basic TrippLite power strip which, in turn, is plugged into a Topaz 2.5kVa .0005pf isolation transformer. So, there should be no power or ground loop issues. The issue follows the tube and most tubes are silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back