Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 12, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #691 of 3,234
If anyone here likes Ken-Rad VT-231 tubes, this seller has some good prices for matched pairs:

http://stores.ebay.com/totempole-99...H_TitleDesc=1&_fsub=7336610014&_sid=514927004

They are from India. I just bought a pair of clear glass Ken-Rad VT-231 tubes from them for $84 shipped. They don't have a lot of history on eBay but all the feedback is positive. I asked a question and had it answered quickly with the information I needed.

I verified that the tubes I ordered had the staggered plates and copper rods. These are WWII vintage. The clear glass tubes are the same sonically as the black glass tubes.

I'll post back about this with any issues or when I get the tubes.

I ordered these tubes on June 8th and received them today, June 12th! They were extremely well packed...the best I have ever seen. The tubes are labeled as are nice boxes they come in.

The clear Ken-Rad VT-231 tubes sounded great, too!

I would not hesitate to buy from that seller again.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #692 of 3,234
I ordered 2 (Matched) of the Northern Electric Tubes for the power section, and two electro harmonix tubes for the buffer section. I'm going to use the stock tubes just for backup, and keep it like that for awhile. Maybe in the fall, I'll order some NOS tubes to put in the power section, but I have the suspicion the Northern Electric tubes will be just fine I hope.

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #693 of 3,234
One more quick post, I finally got my mixer working for the Lynx AES16e soundcard (feeding into the yggy), and it helps the overall sound a ton! Now I can't wait to get the tubes, final piece in the puzzle for now. Reading through this thread, everyone that replaced the stock tubes seemed to really see improvement in the Freya's sound. Can't wait to see for myself!

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #694 of 3,234
Mixer? That basically changes the digital data before it gets to Yggdrasil and kind of ruins the whole point of the Mega Burrito filter.....

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #695 of 3,234
Mixer? That basically changes the digital data before it gets to Yggdrasil and kind of ruins the whole point of the Mega Burrito filter.....

Not a mixer per sey. It's with the software that goes with the lynx soundcard. Instead of using USB from the computer to the Yggy, now I'm using AES/EBU from the lynx soundcard to the yggy, then yggy balanced out into the Freya. Basically all the mixer does is control the volume levels. Right now, it sounds really amazing. Usually at this time of the night, I'm getting ready for bed, instead I'm downstairs cranking music lol. Honestly, I wasn't sure what people were saying about the AES/EBU hook in, now I'm seeing what they mean.

I know this is a little off topic from the Freya, but the Freya is involved, so yeah. lol. Really cool stuff!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #696 of 3,234
One question, winders if you're still on you can answer, how much improvement did you really see from moving "up" so to speak from the stock tubes in the Freya? If it's a lot, then my mind is going to be blown on Wednesday when the new tubes arrive!

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #697 of 3,234
Use Freya to control the volume. The mixer is doing digital volume control which mucks with the signal. It's the reason I don't use any kind of ReplayGain!

The stock tubes are okay in the output buffer stage (left tubes). But, you really want some decent tubes ion the gain stage (right tubes).

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #698 of 3,234
If you want the best from Freya, put good tubes in the output buffer too. I tried the tubes that came with it and they aren't good.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #699 of 3,234
If you want the best from Freya, put good tubes in the output buffer too. I tried the tubes that came with it and they aren't good.

Concur. But....
As in all things stereo do whatever makes you happy. I've been saying for 6 months now that if you like the sound of your driver tubes then put in another pair as followers, they will kick it up a notch. What could be wrong with trying a quad of your best two tubes if you've come this far into the process? If it does nothing and you are sure all 4 are good tubes, the worst is now you have spares.:L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #700 of 3,234
Oh, I think better tubes would be better than the stock Russian tubes in the output buffer stage too. But, and this is a strong but, what makes a great gain stage tube does not necessarily make a great output buffer tube. They are very different analog electrical functions. It's quite possible, even quite likely, that the best tube for each stage is NOT the same tube!

Jun 14, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #701 of 3,234
Oh, I think better tubes would be better than the stock Russian tubes in the output buffer stage too. But, and this is a strong but, what makes a great gain stage tube does not necessarily make a great output buffer tube. They are very different analog electrical functions. It's quite possible, even quite likely, that the best tube for each stage is NOT the same tube!

Agreed. My quad of 54 Sylvania 6SN7GTAs sound very good. But it sounds even better when I have Ken-Rad in the output buffer. So my experience is two different pairs sound the best.

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #703 of 3,234
Agreed. My quad of 54 Sylvania 6SN7GTAs sound very good. But it sounds even better when I have Ken-Rad in the output buffer. So my experience is two different pairs sound the best.

I have found Freya to sound better with Sylvania 6SN7GTA tubes in the output buffer stage and Ken-Rad VT-231 tubes in the gain stage. Have you tried that? The Sylvania 6SN7GTA are okay in the gain stage but are not as dynamic as I would like. They sound a little flat there.

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #704 of 3,234
Anyone tried some genuine Russian 1578s in this preamp?

I looked for a matched pair but the prices were too high and the sources, in Russia and the Ukraine, were dubious. There were plenty of other tube options that are supposed to be as good or better available locally in the U.S.

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #705 of 3,234
I looked for a matched pair but the prices were too high and the sources, in Russia and the Ukraine, were dubious. There were plenty of other tube options that are supposed to be as good or better available locally in the U.S.

I am boycotting anything Russian. There is more than enough USA made NOS 6SN7 (and associated family) tubes to choose from. I did try my Ken-Rad VT-231s for gain, but liked them better in the output buffer. It may have been because I put them in the gain position when I first got them and they needed more burn in time. At some point I will try them in gain again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back