Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 9, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #676 of 3,234
I have a new Freya as of about a week ago. I'm very happy with it. I was a little disappointed by the size of the holes for the tubes. The ones I was planning on using do not fit. I do, however, have some tube savers coming in which will hopefully solve the problem. In the mean time I'm using a new pair of Northern Electric 6SN7's on the gain side and still using the stock tubes on the other side. The Northern Electric's (Canadian Made) are new and require a little burn-in time but already are a significant upgrade over the stock tubes. I'm really happy with my Freya.

Yes the small holes and the non-flush sockets are part of the dumb-design of the freya. I have to be extremely careful to wiggle the tubes and pull them out whenever I have to swap or risk scratching the tubes or bases. Doesnt help that the edges of the holes are sharp. The holes could very easily have been bigger (and not had the 2 circles around them with small holes) or the sockets could have been flush. The flush sockets are better because then the holes can be just the size of the sockets and not risk dust getting inside the preamp.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #677 of 3,234
Yes the small holes and the non-flush sockets are part of the dumb-design of the freya. I have to be extremely careful to wiggle the tubes and pull them out whenever I have to swap or risk scratching the tubes or bases. Doesnt help that the edges of the holes are sharp. The holes could very easily have been bigger (and not had the 2 circles around them with small holes) or the sockets could have been flush. The flush sockets are better because then the holes can be just the size of the sockets and not risk dust getting inside the preamp.

It's funny that the hole in the Saga is bigger - don't know why they didn't make it the same size on the Freya. The socket savers brought it up to the level of the top and has made it much easier to roll tubes. It looks better too in my opinion.

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #678 of 3,234
It's funny that the hole in the Saga is bigger - don't know why they didn't make it the same size on the Freya. The socket savers brought it up to the level of the top and has made it much easier to roll tubes. It looks better too in my opinion.

Which socket savers are you using? Do the socket savers come out when you pull out the tubes? or do you have to hold them in place?

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #679 of 3,234
Which socket savers are you using? Do the socket savers come out when you pull out the tubes? or do you have to hold them in place?

I picked up four from ebay.ca. As it is they were just slightly too big so I used a Dremel to reduce the diameter just a bit. Took a while but they came out really well. They are pretty tight when placed in the socket and I have not had any problem removing the tubes after the install - in fact they are easier to remove as you can now grab them by the base. Getting the socked savers out again may be a bit more challenging however.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160460115202?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #680 of 3,234
Got some Sylvania 6SN7GT bad boys on the way for my next evaluation.

Have your "Bad Boys" arrived yet? Mine did today and initial impressions are positive!

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #681 of 3,234
Okay. I have some updated thoughts on 6SN7 tubes:

Class A:

1. Sylvania 6SN7GT (3-hole Black Plate, Bottom Foil Getter, “Bad Boy”, 13th week, 1952) - These are the real deal. All the clarity, detail, and soundstage the RT VT-231's offer with killer bass!!
2. Raytheon VT-231 (Opposing Black Flat Plates ) - Great overall sound. Nice clarity and detail everywhere. Bass is strong but not over done. Soundstage is deep and has good height.
3. Ken-Rad VT-231 (Black “Staggered” Flat Plates, Copper Rods, Black Glass) - Very close to #2. I almost made it co-#2. The soundstage is not quite as deep.
4. Sylvania 6SN7W (Black Base, Short Bottle) A small step below #2 and #3. This tube sounds great until I listen to the tubes above. Less clarity up top and the bass in not as strong.

Class B:

5. Raytheon 6SN7WGT (Brown Base, Opposing Black Flat Plates) Not as good as the VT-231 but is very good overall. Maybe a good output buffer stage tube for the Raytheon VT-231.
6. RCA VT-231 (Grey Glass) - This tube sounds good but not great. Too much roll off in the highs and lack of detail in the bass.
7. Sylvania 6SN7GT (2 Hole version of "Bad Boy") - Same construction as Syl VT-231. I bought these for the output buffer stage but they sound quite good in the gain stage.
8. Sylvania 6SN7WGTA (Brown Base, 1966) - Great in output buffer stage but a little boring in the gain stage.

Class C:

9. The OE Russian tubes.

My plan is to use the top 4 tubes in the gain stage. 5 through 9 all seem to work well in the output buffer stage...even the Russian tubes!

I am done buying tubes for Freya. I have a nice supply of tubes that should last a very long time!

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #682 of 3,234
Okay. I have some updated thoughts on 6SN7 tubes:

Class A:

1. Sylvania 6SN7GT (3-hole Black Plate, Bottom Foil Getter, “Bad Boy”, 13th week, 1952) - These are the real deal. All the clarity, detail, and soundstage the RT VT-231's offer with killer bass!!
2. Raytheon VT-231 (Opposing Black Flat Plates ) - Great overall sound. Nice clarity and detail everywhere. Bass is strong but not over done. Soundstage is deep and has good height.
3. Ken-Rad VT-231 (Black “Staggered” Flat Plates, Copper Rods, Black Glass) - Very close to #2. I almost made it co-#2. The soundstage is not quite as deep.
4. Sylvania 6SN7W (Black Base, Short Bottle) A small step below #2 and #3. This tube sounds great until I listen to the tubes above. Less clarity up top and the bass in not as strong.

Class B:

5. Raytheon 6SN7WGT (Brown Base, Opposing Black Flat Plates) Not as good as the VT-231 but is very good overall. Maybe a good output buffer stage tube for the Raytheon VT-231.
6. RCA VT-231 (Grey Glass) - This tube sounds good but not great. Too much roll off in the highs and lack of detail in the bass.
7. Sylvania 6SN7GT (2 Hole version of "Bad Boy") - Same construction as Syl VT-231. I bought these for the output buffer stage but they sound quite good in the gain stage.
8. Sylvania 6SN7WGTA (Brown Base, 1966) - Great in output buffer stage but a little boring in the gain stage.

Class C:

9. The OE Russian tubes.

My plan is to use the top 4 tubes in the gain stage. 5 through 9 all seem to work well in the output buffer stage...even the Russian tubes!

I am done buying tubes for Freya. I have a nice supply of tubes that should last a very long time!

1952, a very good year!:beerchug:

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #684 of 3,234
Ordered some Sylvania 6SN7GT two hole "Bad Boys" based on Brent Jesse's information. Hopefully these are the real deal. I'll update once I get them in and have some listening time.

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #685 of 3,234
Jun 12, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #687 of 3,234
Ordered some Sylvania 6SN7GT two hole "Bad Boys" based on Brent Jesse's information. Hopefully these are the real deal. I'll update once I get them in and have some listening time.

I will be interested to hear what you think. I ended up with a matched quad and one matched pair of the real "Bad Boys". After listening to that first pair I decided I wanted two more pair. Fortunately, I got great prices on all of them. Unless a unique deal comes along, I am set with tubes for my Freya. Heck, I am set with tubes for my Mjolnir 2 as well. I think I am going to miss tube hunting.

The Vidar amp should be available in the next few weeks and my plan is to order two of those. I am still not sure what speakers I am going to get so I better figure that out soon. I am leaning toward Salk Song3-A or TektonDesign Double Impact speakers.

Freya is proving to be a great preamp!

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #688 of 3,234
I will be interested to hear what you think. I ended up with a matched quad and one matched pair of the real "Bad Boys". After listening to that first pair I decided I wanted two more pair. Fortunately, I got great prices on all of them. Unless a unique deal comes along, I am set with tubes for my Freya. Heck, I am set with tubes for my Mjolnir 2 as well. I think I am going to miss tube hunting.

The Vidar amp should be available in the next few weeks and my plan is to order two of those. I am still not sure what speakers I am going to get so I better figure that out soon. I am leaning toward Salk Song3-A or TektonDesign Double Impact speakers.

I agree with you about the Freya. It has a few little odd things about it, but it works well and sounds great. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Vidar amps when you get them.

Out of interest I just read a review on the TektonDesign Double Impact speakers on HomeTheaterReview.com. They referred to it as a "disruptive product in that it so radically snaps the ratio of cost to performance that it skews the market to the point that it would be irrational to spend a lot of money for far less performance".

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #689 of 3,234

What prices did you get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back